Just a thought

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Just a thought

Postby Pensfan4life27 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 am

What does everyone think the Pens chances of signing Kovy are over the offseason? Is Montreal even considering resigning him??

I would love to see Kovalev back in Pittsburgh...not only cause he's my favorite player, but him with Malkin would be so sweet to watch.
Pensfan4life27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Just a thought

Postby KG on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 am

Give Kovy the Satan money and add another year to the deal!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 am

Montreal is in a bit of an interesting situation this coming summer.

Kovalev, Koivu, Lang, Tanguay, Begin, Kostopoulos, Bouillon, Komisarek, Brisebois and Dandenault are all UFAs. They also have Plekanec, Latendresse, Higgins and Chipchura to address as restricted free agents.

In terms of existing cap $$, they've already got more than $11M committed to Markov and Hamrlik for each of the next two seasons (think about that the next time you complain about Whitney and Gonchar). They've also got Andrei Kostitsyn tied up at $3.25M for the next two seasons.

Koivu is currently at $4.75M, so he'll likely get a raise to come back...maybe somewhere in the $6.00 - 6.50M range. I'd like to think they'll try to bring Komisarek back, but he could command some big money on the market, so they could easily be looking at another $4-5M per year for him. I would expect them to cut Lang and/or Tanguay loose and use that money to try to bring Kovalev back.

But I'm also not sure where their priorities lie with any of those guys.

I'd love to see Kovalev back, but I'm just not sure I could see the Pens throwing a two or three-year deal at him (he turns 36 in month) with enough money to convince him to leave Montreal.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:03 am

I don't see Kovalev being a priority re-sign in Montreal. With so many guys' deals expiring, they're going to have to make some decisions, and I think the 36-year-old winger who only shows up when he feels like it will be deemed an acceptable loss. The real question is what he could command on the open market.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:12 am

Kovalev. Do miss having him on the Pens. IF he could be had for the right price/term I wouldn't mind this. His production has dropped dramatically this season and aside from his fluke season last year hasn't been up to par so the difference between what he thinks is right money wise and what actually is right could be pretty big. He's still skilled as all heck and that wicked wrister hasn't gone anywhere, so if it could be done properly I'd be all for it.

I'm thinking I'm the only one that thinks this, but I'd be interested in looking at Tanguay for the right price. Granted, he's only ever been a twenty-five goal scorer, but three times has been a point per game player. No way I'd even consider him for more than 4 million per (preferably something in between that and the Satan range), but it's at least worth looking at considering he didn't perform too well last year and wasn't much better this year (so he shouldn't command less money in theory). If they're looking for potentially inexpensive, high-upside wingers he could be someone to look at. It also helps that he's a substantially better defensive player than Sykora or Satan. If he tries to net what he's making now, however, no way dude.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:14 am

Only sign him if he comes at the right price. He is getting older and will only decline.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:46 am

It's a done deal.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 am

Mongoose87 wrote:I don't see Kovalev being a priority re-sign in Montreal. With so many guys' deals expiring, they're going to have to make some decisions, and I think the 36-year-old winger who only shows up when he feels like it will be deemed an acceptable loss. The real question is what he could command on the open market.

Not a priority? He's their top scorer. What would it take to be a top priority for them then?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Newf on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 am

Ginger wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:I don't see Kovalev being a priority re-sign in Montreal. With so many guys' deals expiring, they're going to have to make some decisions, and I think the 36-year-old winger who only shows up when he feels like it will be deemed an acceptable loss. The real question is what he could command on the open market.

Not a priority? He's their top scorer. What would it take to be a top priority for them then?

Prior to a poor season last year Ryder was their top scorer and look at where the Canadiens prioritized him. Ryder saw nothing but one year contracts and didn't even seem to get looked at until everything else in the offseason was complete.
Newf

Postby kingpuck on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:08 pm

I actually would rather use the money needed to sign Sykora to go to Kovy. Kovalev plays well with Geno, a line of Sykora, Geno and Kovalev doesn't work. Kovy is more talented, and bigger than Sykora. Use satan's money for a differnt winger for Sid.
kingpuck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Sorry, Kovalev is too old and definitely on the downside to waste that much money on. If, he comes cheap enough, perhaps. But, there is a reason he will not be Montreal's priority -- it's called lack of production.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Newf wrote:
Ginger wrote:

Prior to a poor season last year Ryder was their top scorer and look at where the Canadiens prioritized him. Ryder saw nothing but one year contracts and didn't even seem to get looked at until everything else in the offseason was complete.

This is correct. Furthermore, the Habs have been trying to land a big name all year (Sundin, Lecavalier) -- they have bigger priorities than Kovalev for sure.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby rosey6629 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 pm

the way a lot of you talk on here, there should be a mandatory retirement age of 35 in the NHL.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rosey6629 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 pm

the way a lot of you talk on here, there should be a mandatory retirement age of 35 in the NHL.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby conforto45 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:22 pm

please.. dont give Madden any bit of an angle... he will run with this and we will be stuck with "Kovy is a done deal" again
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:22 pm

rosey6629 wrote:the way a lot of you talk on here, there should be a mandatory retirement age of 35 in the NHL.

I think, you'll find, as the teams get more settled in to the salary cap era, the value of an older player will reduce drastically.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:37 pm

I dont know about Kovy,he is declining year after year,one good Allstar match doesnt show the player's real form anyway.
For a very decent price (max 2.5 mills per year-2 year contract) maybe..
Kovalev - Malkin - Jagr line would be nice to see..
But i rather have Sykora right now,than KOvy
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:07 pm

kingpuck wrote:Kovalev plays well with Geno

Based on what?
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby helmespc on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:12 pm

If he can replicate that shootout goal consistently... I'd take him back.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rosey6629 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 pm

best wrist shot in the league.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:49 am

rosey6629 wrote:best wrist shot in the league.

Eric Christensen also had one of the best wrist shots in the league.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
rosey6629 wrote:best wrist shot in the league.

Eric Christensen also had one of the best wrist shots in the league.

I think rosey meant "best wrist shot in the league that actually hits the net from time to time"
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Isn't Kovy their leading scorer? If so why wouldn't they try to sign him? I'd take him back for the right price, but wouldn't you, if you were a GM, try to at least make an offer to your leading scorer? Besides he likes it in Mtl.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Samsdog wrote:I'm thinking I'm the only one that thinks this, but I'd be interested in looking at Tanguay for the right price. Granted, he's only ever been a twenty-five goal scorer, but three times has been a point per game player. No way I'd even consider him for more than 4 million per (preferably something in between that and the Satan range), but it's at least worth looking at considering he didn't perform too well last year and wasn't much better this year (so he shouldn't command less money in theory). If they're looking for potentially inexpensive, high-upside wingers he could be someone to look at. It also helps that he's a substantially better defensive player than Sykora or Satan. If he tries to net what he's making now, however, no way dude.

You're not the only one. There was some buzz here last year around the deadline on Tanguay because he's a solid and consistent two-way forward. 29 goals in 2005-2006 is his highest goal production, and he racks up the assists. I think he'll get 4mil a year or so on the open market if he comes back strong from his shoulder injury this season. I think he'd be worth it to the Pens, but I can see him getting some serious looks from a lot of teams.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins