Which team will show for the last 34??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Which team will show for the last 34??

Postby offsides on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Will it be the team that played the first 24 games at 14-6-4 or will it be the team that played the next 24 games at 9-15? Will they come out of the break and play with a sense of urgency and purpose? Do they want to play hockey or golf this spring? We should see some signs which way this team is headed after just 12 days. We will play 7 games in 12 days against some tough teams starting with the Rangers. We will have to play Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey and the Rangers two more times; Montreal three times and Boston, Detroit and San Jose once. We will definitely have to play and beat some tough teams to make the playoffs.

IMHO they showed some real signs of turning this season around during the five games before the break. But, we can not have any long losing streaks or any more freakin injuries. What about RS, does he have a time limit for coaching changes? I think it is too late for any major coaching changes. As for player changes, I'm just glad I don't have Shero's job. The silver lining is that IF we do make the playoffs, we will be a hot team heading into them and just might make another long run. :pop:

Our playoffs start Wednesday!!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Which team will show for the last 34??

Postby KG on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Good post. I am very interested to see how this team will respond the final stretch. If you ask me to pick which team will show up, I'd say the team that played the first 24 games please...=)

I think they will be somewhere in the middle of their great start and horrid stretch...

Flawed team though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:09 pm

they will go 21 and 13
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby icecats30 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm

yep good post. this team needs to be in a must win now kind of attitude. maybe this is exactly what they need. perhaps some of the guys got a little lazy for lack of a better word after the great season last year and destroying the eastern conference. ive told people this during the playoffs last year, you dont just waltz to the cup like the pens did, it just doesnt work that way. I also agree its too late for coaching changes, and realistically i dont expect much personnel changes either. shero is pretty strapped on what he can do for the next few years. IF this team plays to their capability there wont be much need to for a change anyway.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:16 pm

I hope the team that started off the season. We'll need that to make the playoffs.

Two big games against divisional opponents coming up.

Winning hte final 3 games in January will be a very nice start.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Hopefully the good one. I agree with whoever said another thread that the time for excuses is over. They're fairly healthy right now, and their biggest loss - Gonchar - won't be out all that much longer. They just had a week to rest physically and mentally. The schedule isn't as compressed the rest of the way as it's been the last two months. If they play with consistent focus and dedication to D, they're up there with the best teams in the league. When they don't, they lose more than they win. We'll see what this team is made of.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Hopefully the good one. I agree with whoever said another thread that the time for excuses is over. They're fairly healthy right now, and their biggest loss - Gonchar - won't be out all that much longer. They just had a week to rest physically and mentally. The schedule isn't as compressed the rest of the way as it's been the last two months. If they play with consistent focus and dedication to D, they're up there with the best teams in the league. When they don't, they lose more than they win. We'll see what this team is made of.

They also have a stretch in March/April where they play 9 out of 10 games at home, which could present a nice run.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 pm

newarenanow wrote:
They also have a stretch in March/April where they play 9 out of 10 games at home, which could present a nice run.

Sure hope so, but our home record (throwing out the home game in Sweden) is only 11-10-2. Their road record is almost identical to the home record. Your are right though if we are playing good, that is a nice home stretch to make a run!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:they will go 21 and 13

I mean ill take that...

I'm gonna say 18-15 (a few of them OTLs), just making the playoffs [maybe a 7seed; draw the Caps maybe]... but i think they'll have a great end to the season and head in with momentum. No worries. getting there is the problem.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:07 pm

[quote="offsides"]We will play 7 games in 12 days against some tough teams starting with the Rangers. We will have to play Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey and the Rangers two more times; Montreal three times and Boston, Detroit and San Jose once. We will definitely have to play and beat some tough teams to make the playoffs.[quote]

Oh man, now that's an awful schedule to get started with again. If they get 7 points out of those 7 games I'll be optimistic about their finish.

Oh read you wrong, those are not the 7 upcoming games. Phew.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Senka wrote:I'm gonna say 18-15 (a few of them OTLs), just making the playoffs [maybe a 7seed; draw the Caps maybe]... but i think they'll have a great end to the season and head in with momentum. No worries. getting there is the problem.

You could be right Senka, but I don't think 86 points will get us in. I still think low to mid nineties.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Keys to the prolonged stretch drive:

1. Special Teams
2. Special Teams
3. Goaltending

And of couse the PP and PK will have to do better than before.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Senka on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 pm

offsides wrote:
Senka wrote:I'm gonna say 18-15 (a few of them OTLs), just making the playoffs [maybe a 7seed; draw the Caps maybe]... but i think they'll have a great end to the season and head in with momentum. No worries. getting there is the problem.

You could be right Senka, but I don't think 86 points will get us in. I still think low to mid nineties.

I mean i guess i didnt add up totals, that does seem low. But its still possible if the top teams keep running away and stealing bubble points. but we'll let it play out.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Senka wrote:
offsides wrote:

I mean i guess i didnt add up totals, that does seem low. But its still possible if the top teams keep running away and stealing bubble points. but we'll let it play out.

From the Pens site: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articl ... rvice=page

"Something to consider moving forward is the amount of points it will take for the Penguins to earn a playoff berth. Since the NHL incorporated the shootout in the 2005-06 season, the lowest point total for a postseason berth in the East was 92."
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tksmr2 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:39 am

key is whether or not Crosby will start becoming more aggressive, and drive to the net a heck of a lot more. He passes up so many opportunities to drive to the net. For instance, he could have walked right out in front of Cam Ward all alone before Eric Staal scored that goal, but instead decided to telegraph a pass out in the slot were both Ward played the pass, and multiple players for Carolina took away the pass, etc. It's frustrating to watch him be so passive. He needs to be selfish right now.. he will start surprising other teams, then he can start mixing it up.

Goaltending is important, defense just needs to keep things simple until they heal.. No Phillipe Boucher b/c he is just waaaay.... to slow. Powerplay needs to make up for some of their deficiencies b/c it sure has let them down to this point. At this point it they just need to go out their and get it done, figure it out.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby offsides on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm

I think one of our biggest problems (besides the PP, PK, injuries, suspension and no winger) is the three teams ahead of us. We have to hope three teams loose before we can make up any ground. Buffalo and Florida (thanks Phily) both won last night, so if we win tonight we only stay even with them. Every games is BIG from now on. We are going to miss some of those points we gave away earlier this year.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins