Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Tomas on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:23 am

Interview with Czech daily MF Dnes (printed January 21). Translation here:

http://letsgopens.com/tomas_translations.php?id=64

Possibly a greater number of grammatical/stylistic errors than usual - but I am tired and busy! :)
The meaning of his answers should not be distorted (when in doubts, I went for quite a literal translation - so the end of the interview may sound a little too man-love-y in English :) )

Don't post the interview anywhere, post the link instead (I may correct some translations later). And if you don't give a proper credit to RJ Ackerman's fine message board, I'll hunt you down like Washington hunted Oney!!! :evil:

PS: Why "Dzhegr"? This most common Jagr's nickname among Czech players and fans originated after (alegedly) U.S. (Pittsburgh?) TV hockey announcers first pronounced young rookie Jagr's name the same way they would pronounce the name of a certain frontman of a certain legendary English rock band. Czechs think this is freakin' funny...
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby The U on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:00 am

that must have taken a while to translate. Great job, much appreciated.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:06 am

Great job.

Also a good read. It's refreshing to see a hockey related interview that's so honest.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lesky on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 am

Sykora has HIGH praise for Malkin obviously!
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SaijinSatch on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:57 am

so really.. what is it about the american public that we cannot accept any other answers than.. "well we're just going to take it one game at a time." and "we just have to give it 100%, 100% of the time out there, and stick to the game plan."

or is it the fault of the media for presenting constant softball questions?

great article, great translation (i assume).. thanks a thousand very enlightening
SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:30 am

I was looking for the words to describe how I felt after taking the time to read this. The truth is, I needed this. I didn't want another interview with Sid, "Oh everything's fine..." Thanks Tomas.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ShaPe on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:54 am

Good job Tomas. A real refreshing reading.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:07 am

DocEmrick wrote:I was looking for the words to describe how I felt after taking the time to read this. The truth is, I needed this. I didn't want another interview with Sid, "Oh everything's fine..." Thanks Tomas.

Crosby's father is an even worse interview than his son and that's saying something.
I have nothing bad to say about Sid, but I definitely ignore his interviews. They're pretty Stepford at this point.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:17 am

Děkujeme vám, Tomas.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maagwa on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks, Sounds like Sykora doesn't like MT.
Maagwa

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 am

Wow, good read. Makes you wonder about team chemistry, coaching and the abiltiy of Sid being a captain. And the possiblity of Sykora actually resigning here next season.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks Thomas. That was pretty cool.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 am

Sykora sounds like a really nice guy.

What helped us was the return of Whitney. Until then we had 6 D-men who took a puck and threw in on the plexiglass. And we were then chasing that puck like idiots.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 am

pensfan20 wrote: And the possiblity of Sykora actually resigning here next season.

Yes it does, and this worries me.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks Tomas~ forgot about Zhenia for Gino. :)

Q: Pittsburgh has been struggling since the beginning of the new year and eventually even fell out of the play-off spots. All that while you were one of this season’s favorites following the last Stanley Cup finals. Does this situation impact the team a lot?
A: Of course the atmosphere is rather tense here. Everybody expected more. But when you play so long up until the finals, it is tougher to play on the same level the next year. You are tired, there is no time to heal your injuries during the summer. Basically the whole team is then somewhat slower, and injury-prone.

Q: So you did expect such a slide?
A: Certainly. I am not surprised. The league is very balanced. When you are a little slower, and have injuries, then you start losing. Just look at the teams that lost during the first or the second round of the playoffs such as New Jersey, Philadelphia or Rangers. They are successful, on the roll. We have a lot of injuries, half of the current roster is from the minors.

P Sykora doesn't provide or try to provide answers to stop the slide. More or less accepting the "cup hangover" rule. He's the legit winger on this team, but during the games, he too goes missing, in the scheme of things.

*I think about what Brooks was quoted as saying~ "Everybody's a good teammate when you're winning."
Last edited by penny lane on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:24 am

Awesome interview! Thanks Tomas these are always appreciated!

Q: What would be your biggest praise regarding Malkin?

A: He is exceptional because he can take a puck, beats an opponent, and he still sees you. He can see you regardless where on the ice you are, even when two players guard him. He can pass to me like nobody ever before. And he is a nice guy who does not vilify you when things go wrong. He is not like some other starts who are constantly pissed off. He is OK all the time, cool, no problem.

Lol subtle dig at Sid?
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens15 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:24 am

The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 am

Great, Tomas. Thanks for all your hard work in doing these things. And like most European interviews, it's a candid one.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 am

Great work, as always, Tomas!

Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:58 am

That Malkin guy....him and Sykora. They sure are two wild and crazy guyeeeez. Awesome read. Thanks for taking the time.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:06 am

Maagwa wrote:Thanks, Sounds like Sykora doesn't like MT.

seems like MT has always had sykora on a short leash. it's weird that it took him so long to demote satan, while sykora has been up and down the lineup for most of his time here. i guess there's a method to his madness, but i like sykora. i feel bad for him sometimes (as much as you can feel bad for a successful pro hockey player :D ).

...and as far as sid being the "villifier", i don't buy it. at least not towards sykora. sid seems to get frustrated with the skill-less wonders like oprik and dupuis. guys like sykora are probably very refreshing to a guy who has to play with dupuis.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 am

Pens15 wrote:The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.

Remember that Sykora has been around the block. His only experience isn't Sid vs Malkin.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:26 am

bhaw wrote:
Pens15 wrote:The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.

Remember that Sykora has been around the block. His only experience isn't Sid vs Malkin.

So what other superstars has he played with? He is obviously digging Sid.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
bhaw wrote:

So what other superstars has he played with? He is obviously digging Sid.

"Obviously?" Not sure I make that connection. Sykora has played in New Jersey, New York and Edmonton. He has also played internationally.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 am

It's not obvious, but you know that's the first thought you had when you read it. I don't recall the exact quote but I remember last year Ryan Malone said something similar about Malkin being more laid back and easier to play with than Sid.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins