Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Draftnik wrote:
pcm wrote:Sykora is what he is. But to think his play in the 1.5 seasons he's been here has been anything of a disappointment is mind-boggling to me. Last year was his most productive since playing on the top line of the 2001 Devils. He's not far off those marks this season, and yet in his interview he seems to think he can do better.

I know you're trying to discredit the messenger by saying Sykora's opinion doesn't matter because he's a floater (I'd ask Lou L's opinion on that over Burke or Carlye). But in a situation where the team's leadership is at issue, his opinion is a lot more valid than any of ours. He blatantly questions Therrien's tactics and not-so-blatantly questions Crosby's... the team's two leaders.

Whether you want to put stock in that is up to you. I tend to draw from it less a criticism of coach and captain --- everyone responds to different types of leadership in different ways --- more so, it seems an indictment of the "specialness" of Zhenia Malkin.


Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year. Despite his self professed love for playing with Geno, Sykora isn't putting forward the same kind of effort (3.5 shots per game) as he did on 00/01 and 02/03. If he loves playing with Geno so much why isn't he working as hard as he did in those seasons? I agree Sykora's production is in line with his salary and expectations because his decade plus of NHL floating has set the baseline.

Which Lou L are you referring to? The Lou L that traded Sykora for Jeff Friessen and Oleg Tverdovsky or the Lou L that lavished a $20M-6 year deal on Dainius Zubrus when Sykora was signing a $5M-2 year deal in July 07?


Sykora is what he is. He is a solid 2nd tier winger, who happens to be the only legit top 6 winger on the Pens atm. He is an affable enough guy in the locker room and played hard in the playoffs. I don't understand the need to criticize the messenger even if you don't like what he may be implying.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,702
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:05 pm

I think this thread is the first time i've ever seen shots used as a measure of how hard someone is working.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,717
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I think this thread is the first time i've ever seen shots used as a measure of how hard someone is working.


Yes, pretty amazing.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Maagwa on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Draftnik wrote:Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year.


In July 2007, Sykora signed a 2-year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins as an unrestricted free agent. After initially playing with Sidney Crosby, Sykora was later lined up with Evgeni Malkin after Crosby suffered an injury towards the end of the season. Benefitting from high-caliber linemates, Sykora enjoyed his best offensive season since 2000-01, tallying 63 points.

07/08 63 Pts
02/03 59 Pts
Maagwa
 

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby 71 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Draftnik wrote:
pcm wrote:Sykora is what he is. But to think his play in the 1.5 seasons he's been here has been anything of a disappointment is mind-boggling to me. Last year was his most productive since playing on the top line of the 2001 Devils. He's not far off those marks this season, and yet in his interview he seems to think he can do better.

I know you're trying to discredit the messenger by saying Sykora's opinion doesn't matter because he's a floater (I'd ask Lou L's opinion on that over Burke or Carlye). But in a situation where the team's leadership is at issue, his opinion is a lot more valid than any of ours. He blatantly questions Therrien's tactics and not-so-blatantly questions Crosby's... the team's two leaders.

Whether you want to put stock in that is up to you. I tend to draw from it less a criticism of coach and captain --- everyone responds to different types of leadership in different ways --- more so, it seems an indictment of the "specialness" of Zhenia Malkin.


Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year. Despite his self professed love for playing with Geno, Sykora isn't putting forward the same kind of effort (3.5 shots per game) as he did on 00/01 and 02/03. If he loves playing with Geno so much why isn't he working as hard as he did in those seasons? I agree Sykora's production is in line with his salary and expectations because his decade plus of NHL floating has set the baseline.

Which Lou L are you referring to? The Lou L that traded Sykora for Jeff Friessen and Oleg Tverdovsky or the Lou L that lavished a $20M-6 year deal on Dainius Zubrus when Sykora was signing a $5M-2 year deal in July 07?


In terms of goals he was more productive in 02, but in points he was more productive last year. The interesting thing is he averaged 16:51 in TOI on ice last year and was at 18:29 in 2002. Petr Sykora isn't perfect but he's our best winger and he needs more ice time. This is my major complaint with MT and I assume it is Sykora's as well. The constant line juggling leads to a lack of a continuity which is very detrimental to the team. IMO Sykora and Geno should be playing on the same line at all times, they have constantly produced together and although the third wheel may change until Fedotenko's return this is our best chance at producing to 2 scoring lines with Sid and Geno both playing center.

A top two lines of
Cooke-Crosby-Dupuis/Staal
Kennedy-Malkin-Sykora

This would be viable option until Fedotenko returns and would lead to a balance in the top two lines. The major thing is that these guys need not just a few shifts, not just a period, not just one game but an extended period of time playing together so they can adapt to each other and gain some chemistry.
71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Maagwa wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year.


In July 2007, Sykora signed a 2-year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins as an unrestricted free agent. After initially playing with Sidney Crosby, Sykora was later lined up with Evgeni Malkin after Crosby suffered an injury towards the end of the season. Benefitting from high-caliber linemates, Sykora enjoyed his best offensive season since 2000-01, tallying 63 points.

07/08 63 Pts
02/03 59 Pts


Sykora's role on the Pens (and every other NHL team) is to score goals, not pick up secondary assists. He isn't a playmaker. He scored 34 goals in 02/03, 28 in 07/08.

The only 2 times in Sykora's career he scored over 30 goals he averaged ~ 3.5 shots per game. It is not a coincidence. His goal output was a result of harder work to put himself in position for more shots on goal. He has been a full shot on goal less per game than those seasons during his time with the Pens.

The whole premise that just because Sykora says (or implies) something about Sid or MT that it has to be correct is absurd. Just because it is his opinion it doesn't mean it is right. He also isn't working as hard as he did during an era of rampant obstruction to get shots and create more goals for himself and his employer despite Geno allegedly bringing the best out of him.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:38 pm

71 wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
pcm wrote:Sykora is what he is. But to think his play in the 1.5 seasons he's been here has been anything of a disappointment is mind-boggling to me. Last year was his most productive since playing on the top line of the 2001 Devils. He's not far off those marks this season, and yet in his interview he seems to think he can do better.

I know you're trying to discredit the messenger by saying Sykora's opinion doesn't matter because he's a floater (I'd ask Lou L's opinion on that over Burke or Carlye). But in a situation where the team's leadership is at issue, his opinion is a lot more valid than any of ours. He blatantly questions Therrien's tactics and not-so-blatantly questions Crosby's... the team's two leaders.

Whether you want to put stock in that is up to you. I tend to draw from it less a criticism of coach and captain --- everyone responds to different types of leadership in different ways --- more so, it seems an indictment of the "specialness" of Zhenia Malkin.


Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year. Despite his self professed love for playing with Geno, Sykora isn't putting forward the same kind of effort (3.5 shots per game) as he did on 00/01 and 02/03. If he loves playing with Geno so much why isn't he working as hard as he did in those seasons? I agree Sykora's production is in line with his salary and expectations because his decade plus of NHL floating has set the baseline.

Which Lou L are you referring to? The Lou L that traded Sykora for Jeff Friessen and Oleg Tverdovsky or the Lou L that lavished a $20M-6 year deal on Dainius Zubrus when Sykora was signing a $5M-2 year deal in July 07?


In terms of goals he was more productive in 02, but in points he was more productive last year. The interesting thing is he averaged 16:51 in TOI on ice last year and was at 18:29 in 2002. Petr Sykora isn't perfect but he's our best winger and he needs more ice time. This is my major complaint with MT and I assume it is Sykora's as well. The constant line juggling leads to a lack of a continuity which is very detrimental to the team. IMO Sykora and Geno should be playing on the same line at all times, they have constantly produced together and although the third wheel may change until Fedotenko's return this is our best chance at producing to 2 scoring lines with Sid and Geno both playing center.

A top two lines of
Cooke-Crosby-Dupuis/Staal
Kennedy-Malkin-Sykora

This would be viable option until Fedotenko returns and would lead to a balance in the top two lines. The major thing is that these guys need not just a few shifts, not just a period, not just one game but an extended period of time playing together so they can adapt to each other and gain some chemistry.


I specifically mentioned decreased ice time (relatively small) in another post in this thread. That said, 2.5 shots per game in ~ 17 minutes of ice time is significantly less than 3.5 shots per game in 18.5 minutes per game. The average shots per minute is a large drop regardless of 1:38 less ice time per game.

The great Scott Bowman used to juggle lines all the time. Somehow he was a genius when he did it but MT is an idiot for using the same tactics he probably learned from studying Bowman. If Sykora worked hard every single shift he was on the ice with Geno his output would be significantly higher and MT would never have any reason to split them up.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby jenpens325 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 pm

hmm the debate between transactional and transformational leadership....
jenpens325
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,374
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:34 am
Location: not a dudely chick

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:47 pm

where do I get my SCDF badge?

If Sidney shoots instead of passing to Sykie...something's up. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,492
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby brwi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Did I once rip Crosby in this thread? I'm just stating that yelling is a horrible leadership style. I don't know if Sid does this. Crosby is still young and may develop into a great leader. He may be one already for all I know. I do find it funny though that you are ripping Sykora because he may have a legitimate criticism against Crosby.


Yelling alone doesn't make anyone a horrible leader. That's asinine and some feel-good unproven hogwash when there are plenty of real-world examples that prove otherwise. Take the most obvious one: military leadership. Lots of yelling. Screaming even. I guess all the soldiers would perform better with a comforting hug when bullets are flying over their heads.

Looking at not just hard-ass SC winning coaches who were yelling constantly before hoisting the Cup, I missed the post-Super Bowl analysis that Tom Coughlin yelled too much at his Giants' players and they would have really stomped the heavily-favored Patriots if he didn't raise his voice. Bill Cowher? TERRIBLE leader obviously because he YELLED! Chuck Noll and 4 SB's? Most professional head coaches, their assistants.....obviously clueless about this yelling thing.

Pro sports isn't anything resembling a real-life work environment and what makes for effective leadership in the office may not apply a lot of the times in pro sports.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby 71 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Maagwa wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year.


In July 2007, Sykora signed a 2-year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins as an unrestricted free agent. After initially playing with Sidney Crosby, Sykora was later lined up with Evgeni Malkin after Crosby suffered an injury towards the end of the season. Benefitting from high-caliber linemates, Sykora enjoyed his best offensive season since 2000-01, tallying 63 points.

07/08 63 Pts
02/03 59 Pts


Sykora's role on the Pens (and every other NHL team) is to score goals, not pick up secondary assists. He isn't a playmaker. He scored 34 goals in 02/03, 28 in 07/08.


30 of his 52 assists have been primary ones in his 1 and a half year's here in Pittsburgh. Although he is thought of as a goal scorer he is a talented passer, not just someone leaching secondary assists, and the offense he has produced shouldn't thought of as only goals he scores.
71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby pcm on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:35 pm

The whole premise that just because Sykora says (or implies) something about Sid or MT that it has to be correct is absurd. Just because it is his opinion it doesn't mean it is right. He also isn't working as hard as he did during an era of rampant obstruction to get shots and create more goals for himself and his employer despite Geno allegedly bringing the best out of him.


Depends on your definition of "correct." For Sykora, it's his perspective. It's correct for him. For us fans who aren't in the lockerroom and on the bench etc etc, we can say we have a more "correct" perspective, but whatever. I'm much more interested in what the players think and say, especially when it's as candid as Petr's interview. Obviously, I filter the information through his point of view. It's ludicrous to think anyone has the one "correct" perspective...despite your predilection for facts.

The issue of leadership is a subjective one nonetheless, and very much a work in progress with Sid and surprisingly, Therrien. He has shown an ability to adapt to the team as it develops. I still wonder if he is the guy to get the most out of the star power of this team, especially as the players mature. Sykora's comments reflect the perspective of a mature player, and his criticisms of the coach, who uses tactics better suited for motivating young, still developing talent, should not be taken lightly when considering what future he has with the team.

Your hero, anti-floater, Gary Roberts did not take kindly to Therrien's methods. Of course Roberts is an uber-professional (yes, he is above the profession) and so did not call out the coach after getting benched in Game 1 SCF. But he was obviously not pleased with the decision.

So getting to the real issue, what do you think of Therrien's future with this team?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby 71 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Draftnik wrote:
71 wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Last season was not Sykora's most productive since 01. He was more productive in 02/03 with ANA and not coincidentally, his work rate as a goal scorer was 3.65 shots per game that year. Despite his self professed love for playing with Geno, Sykora isn't putting forward the same kind of effort (3.5 shots per game) as he did on 00/01 and 02/03. If he loves playing with Geno so much why isn't he working as hard as he did in those seasons? I agree Sykora's production is in line with his salary and expectations because his decade plus of NHL floating has set the baseline.

Which Lou L are you referring to? The Lou L that traded Sykora for Jeff Friessen and Oleg Tverdovsky or the Lou L that lavished a $20M-6 year deal on Dainius Zubrus when Sykora was signing a $5M-2 year deal in July 07?


In terms of goals he was more productive in 02, but in points he was more productive last year. The interesting thing is he averaged 16:51 in TOI on ice last year and was at 18:29 in 2002. Petr Sykora isn't perfect but he's our best winger and he needs more ice time. This is my major complaint with MT and I assume it is Sykora's as well. The constant line juggling leads to a lack of a continuity which is very detrimental to the team. IMO Sykora and Geno should be playing on the same line at all times, they have constantly produced together and although the third wheel may change until Fedotenko's return this is our best chance at producing to 2 scoring lines with Sid and Geno both playing center.

A top two lines of
Cooke-Crosby-Dupuis/Staal
Kennedy-Malkin-Sykora

This would be viable option until Fedotenko returns and would lead to a balance in the top two lines. The major thing is that these guys need not just a few shifts, not just a period, not just one game but an extended period of time playing together so they can adapt to each other and gain some chemistry.


I specifically mentioned decreased ice time (relatively small) in another post in this thread. That said, 2.5 shots per game in ~ 17 minutes of ice time is significantly less than 3.5 shots per game in 18.5 minutes per game. The average shots per minute is a large drop regardless of 1:38 less ice time per game.

The great Scott Bowman used to juggle lines all the time. Somehow he was a genius when he did it but MT is an idiot for using the same tactics he probably learned from studying Bowman. If Sykora worked hard every single shift he was on the ice with Geno his output would be significantly higher and MT would never have any reason to split them up.


MT has never coached under or within the same system as Bowman so I'd be hard pressed to attribute his line juggling to studying him. Scotty Bowman has 9 cups and his genius in the field of coaching is with out question. MT doesn't have such a pedigree, I'd be just as inclined to credit his quickness to switch up lines to Ed Olczyk as I would Bowman.
71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:19 pm

71 wrote:MT has never coached under or within the same system as Bowman so I'd be hard pressed to attribute his line juggling to studying him. Scotty Bowman has 9 cups and his genius in the field of coaching is with out question. MT doesn't have such a pedigree, I'd be just as inclined to credit his quickness to switch up lines to Ed Olczyk as I would Bowman.


Where do you come up with this nonsense? No successful NHL coach would copy anything from Olczyk. If anything, they would do the opposite. MT grew up in Quebec while the Montreal (it is a city in Quebec in case you didn't know) Canadians were winning 5 Cups in the 70s under Bowman. He watched the Habs, went through the coaching ranks in Quebec where Bowman was the dominant figure in forming coaches, then coached the Habs for a few seasons. Just because he never coached under Bowman doesn't mean he didn't study his tactics while growing up in the Habs province or become intimately versed in them while working for the Habs. Anybody that followed NHL hockey during the mid 60s to early 00s knows of Bowman's propensity to juggle lines. Even if an NHL coach is not a francophone or former Habs coach it is likely that they studied great NHL coaches like Bowman, Blake, Arbor, etc.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby brwi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 pm

71 wrote:
MT has never coached under or within the same system as Bowman so I'd be hard pressed to attribute his line juggling to studying him. Scotty Bowman has 9 cups and his genius in the field of coaching is with out question. MT doesn't have such a pedigree, I'd be just as inclined to credit his quickness to switch up lines to Ed Olczyk as I would Bowman.


MT has used the left wing lock in MTL and Pittsburgh(not so much this year), a system that while not invented by Bowman, was used a lot by him in the mid-1990's with the Wings and a variant of it in Pittsburgh when he was HC. I highly doubt that there is a hockey coach in the NHL that hasn't studied Bowman and his methods over the years, especially any coach that has stepped behind the bench in Montreal.

Babcock is another known in-game line juggling HC. An argument could be made that since the two SC teams had HC's that are known for line juggling, I don't think the concept is faulty by any means.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 pm

71 wrote:30 of his 52 assists have been primary ones in his 1 and a half year's here in Pittsburgh. Although he is thought of as a goal scorer he is a talented passer, not just someone leaching secondary assists, and the offense he has produced shouldn't thought of as only goals he scores.


Sykora is hardly a talented passer. Most of his primary assists are likely rebounds potted by Geno and others, not passes.

Either way, he isn't getting in position to shoot often enough relative to the seasons where he actually scored 30+ NHL goals. If he took more shots on goal there would be more rebounds for Geno and others to convert into goals. His output would he higher from a goal and assist perspective with more shots circa 00/01 and 02/03.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby pcm on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 pm

And his shots would likely be higher if weren't often delegated to 2nd PP. Still though he's 2 PP goals off the league lead.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:41 pm

pcm wrote:
The whole premise that just because Sykora says (or implies) something about Sid or MT that it has to be correct is absurd. Just because it is his opinion it doesn't mean it is right. He also isn't working as hard as he did during an era of rampant obstruction to get shots and create more goals for himself and his employer despite Geno allegedly bringing the best out of him.


Depends on your definition of "correct." For Sykora, it's his perspective. It's correct for him. For us fans who aren't in the lockerroom and on the bench etc etc, we can say we have a more "correct" perspective, but whatever. I'm much more interested in what the players think and say, especially when it's as candid as Petr's interview. Obviously, I filter the information through his point of view. It's ludicrous to think anyone has the one "correct" perspective...despite your predilection for facts.

The issue of leadership is a subjective one nonetheless, and very much a work in progress with Sid and surprisingly, Therrien. He has shown an ability to adapt to the team as it develops. I still wonder if he is the guy to get the most out of the star power of this team, especially as the players mature. Sykora's comments reflect the perspective of a mature player, and his criticisms of the coach, who uses tactics better suited for motivating young, still developing talent, should not be taken lightly when considering what future he has with the team.

Your hero, anti-floater, Gary Roberts did not take kindly to Therrien's methods. Of course Roberts is an uber-professional (yes, he is above the profession) and so did not call out the coach after getting benched in Game 1 SCF. But he was obviously not pleased with the decision.

So getting to the real issue, what do you think of Therrien's future with this team?


We are actually saying the same thing in a way. I agree Sykora's opinion is obviously correct from his perspective and more relevant than any poster at LGP. That said, his inferred opinion is being generalized to be an accepted fact that Sid is a poor leader, especially compared to Geno. That is where I draw the distinction and qualify Sykora's POV. Charitably speaking, Sykora is laid back. I doubt anybody would disagree with that characterization. Critically speaking, he is a lazy floater. Either way, it is logical for him to be attracted to a laid back style rather than a hard driving demanding style. That is where I discredit Sykora's opinion in terms of generalizing it to be correct.

I think MT has been a good coach because the Pens obviously needed defensive structure when he took over. The blueprint in the NHL to win Cups has basically been a strong defensive foundation ever since the NJD won in 95, so why should the Pens go against the grain? Everybody likes to focus on 87 & 71, but overall the Pens strength is in goal with MAF and a relatively deep corps of NHL Dmen. They do not have enough goal scorers to play run and gun hockey. MT is playing to the Pens strengths and the current blueprint for success.

I think he could be in trouble if the Pens miss the playoffs, but that won't happen IMO. He will get fired eventually, all coaches do. He isn't what has held the team back this season. The goaltending has been weak and the PP has suffered without the Gonch and a slot presence.

The Pens goals for average is a bit higher than last season. Goals against is up around a half a goal per game. The Pens need to be more defensive, not less defensive so if MT is guilty of anything it is not being a stern enough taskmaster to enforce defensive and systemic accountability.

Roberts beef with MT was over his rule about keeping a lineup intact if the Pens were coming off a win in the playoffs. MT put Talbot back in the lineup after a Pens win during the Philly series, but used that reason to keep BGL in the lineup vs. DET in game 1 over Roberts. MT benched BGL after that loss and Roberts played the rest of the series, so using that logic he thought Roberts was more important to the Pens winning than BGL. DET didn't have a goon and Roberts main weakness (poor skating, possible lack of defensive positioning due to being caught up ice) was the same as BGL's so I can see why Roberts didn't appreciate the double standard. I think MT made a mistake by rationalizing his decision to keep BGL in the lineup when he didn't apply the same policy equally with Talbot in the previous series. IMO he should have played the 18 guys he thought were best for that game regardless of the result of the previous game.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:01 pm

brwi wrote:Yelling alone doesn't make anyone a horrible leader. That's asinine and some feel-good unproven hogwash when there are plenty of real-world examples that prove otherwise. Take the most obvious one: military leadership. Lots of yelling. Screaming even. I guess all the soldiers would perform better with a comforting hug when bullets are flying over their heads.

Looking at not just hard-ass SC winning coaches who were yelling constantly before hoisting the Cup, I missed the post-Super Bowl analysis that Tom Coughlin yelled too much at his Giants' players and they would have really stomped the heavily-favored Patriots if he didn't raise his voice. Bill Cowher? TERRIBLE leader obviously because he YELLED! Chuck Noll and 4 SB's? Most professional head coaches, their assistants.....obviously clueless about this yelling thing.

Pro sports isn't anything resembling a real-life work environment and what makes for effective leadership in the office may not apply a lot of the times in pro sports.

Brad


First off, comparing the military with sports leadership is completely ridiculous for many reasons that are extremely obvious. :lol:

Back to sports: Their is a significant difference between a coach yelling, and a colleague yelling. A coach already has a minimum amount of respect because of his position of authority: he chooses who plays and how much they play. A player must lead through respect. Yelling and carrying on will not earn you respect unless you do it only on very rare occasions.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,702
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Maagwa on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Draftnik wrote:
71 wrote:MT has never coached under or within the same system as Bowman so I'd be hard pressed to attribute his line juggling to studying him. Scotty Bowman has 9 cups and his genius in the field of coaching is with out question. MT doesn't have such a pedigree, I'd be just as inclined to credit his quickness to switch up lines to Ed Olczyk as I would Bowman.


Where do you come up with this nonsense? No successful NHL coach would copy anything from Olczyk. If anything, they would do the opposite. MT grew up in Quebec while the Montreal (it is a city in Quebec in case you didn't know) Canadians were winning 5 Cups in the 70s under Bowman. He watched the Habs, went through the coaching ranks in Quebec where Bowman was the dominant figure in forming coaches, then coached the Habs for a few seasons. Just because he never coached under Bowman doesn't mean he didn't study his tactics while growing up in the Habs province or become intimately versed in them while working for the Habs. Anybody that followed NHL hockey during the mid 60s to early 00s knows of Bowman's propensity to juggle lines. Even if an NHL coach is not a francophone or former Habs coach it is likely that they studied great NHL coaches like Bowman, Blake, Arbor, etc.

Mario hated Bowman.. I highly doubt he would allow a similar coach into the organization.
Maagwa
 

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Maagwa wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
71 wrote:MT has never coached under or within the same system as Bowman so I'd be hard pressed to attribute his line juggling to studying him. Scotty Bowman has 9 cups and his genius in the field of coaching is with out question. MT doesn't have such a pedigree, I'd be just as inclined to credit his quickness to switch up lines to Ed Olczyk as I would Bowman.


Where do you come up with this nonsense? No successful NHL coach would copy anything from Olczyk. If anything, they would do the opposite. MT grew up in Quebec while the Montreal (it is a city in Quebec in case you didn't know) Canadians were winning 5 Cups in the 70s under Bowman. He watched the Habs, went through the coaching ranks in Quebec where Bowman was the dominant figure in forming coaches, then coached the Habs for a few seasons. Just because he never coached under Bowman doesn't mean he didn't study his tactics while growing up in the Habs province or become intimately versed in them while working for the Habs. Anybody that followed NHL hockey during the mid 60s to early 00s knows of Bowman's propensity to juggle lines. Even if an NHL coach is not a francophone or former Habs coach it is likely that they studied great NHL coaches like Bowman, Blake, Arbor, etc.

Mario hated Bowman.. I highly doubt he would allow a similar coach into the organization.


According to this interview (from September 2001), MT thinks Bowman is the greatest all time NHL coach and an inspiration to all young coaches:

http://habsinsideout.com/main/8112
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Maagwa on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Draftnik wrote:According to this interview (from September 2001), MT thinks Bowman is the greatest all time NHL coach and an inspiration to all young coaches:
http://habsinsideout.com/main/8112

Heh.
Maagwa
 

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 pm

I think tonight's game made it apparent that we need to dump Sykora before his lack of commitment kills this team.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:I think tonight's game made it apparent that we need to dump Sykora before his lack of commitment kills this team.


Not sure where you picked up the thread but as I mentioned earlier, it seems to be an all or nothing proposition with Sykora. I think tonight gives him as many multi-goal games as single goal games this season. He has a higher level of play when he is committed.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 am

Draftnik wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:I think tonight's game made it apparent that we need to dump Sykora before his lack of commitment kills this team.


Not sure where you picked up the thread but as I mentioned earlier, it seems to be an all or nothing proposition with Sykora. I think tonight gives him as many multi-goal games as single goal games this season. He has a higher level of play when he is committed.

Oh I just like to post things like this when a player's commitment/skill/value is questioned the same day they have a good game. I did it with Staal, too.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CERV96, FLPensFan, King Sid the Great 87 and 8 guests

e-mail