Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby 71crush on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 am

Thank you so much for this interview!! Interesting comments about MT and the line changes, etc.
I dont think he meant Sid in that comment. He has played with a lot of guys. Plus Geno is exceptionally laid back.
71crush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Indyman on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 am

The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.

that's the part that really caught my eye - and how he mentions (several times) that its a battle against the coach all the time. It seems MT is playing mind games....another reason to get rid of him IMO

Also - the part about the dmen shooting the puck against the plexiglass, and having to chase the puck like idiots...lol

Europeans give great interviews when they let their guard down - or basically if they get interviewed in their native language - they don't worry about saying inaccurate things that might piss someone off.

good stuff.
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby superconan on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 am

Pens15 wrote:It's not obvious, but you know that's the first thought you had when you read it. I don't recall the exact quote but I remember last year Ryan Malone said something similar about Malkin being more laid back and easier to play with than Sid.

And what does that really say about Malone.

And what is with some of you people. Malkin says something nice about Crosby, people think he is being sarcastic, Sykora says something nice about Malkin and people turn it in to a Sykora ripping Crosby.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:46 am

superconan wrote:
Pens15 wrote:It's not obvious, but you know that's the first thought you had when you read it. I don't recall the exact quote but I remember last year Ryan Malone said something similar about Malkin being more laid back and easier to play with than Sid.

And what does that really say about Malone.

And what is with some of you people. Malkin says something nice about Crosby, people think he is being sarcastic, Sykora says something nice about Malkin and people turn it in to a Sykora ripping Crosby.

It says Malone was stating the obvious. He wasn't knocking Sid by admitting this.

It seems to me that Sid is a Type A personality to the nth degree. He feels he gives 150% and expects everyone he plays with to do just the same. He expects people to keep up with him, and play his style. Which is why he worked so well with Hossa. Hossa could easily keep up with him and anticipate his moves.

Malkin is a bit different in his approach. He adjusts his game to his linemates. When he's with Sid, he can keep up with Sid, no problem. That's why I'm guessing Sid loves having him as a linemate. He's an equal.

But when Geno's playing with Malone and Sykora, or Fedo and Sykora, he ever so slightly adjusts his game. Notice how Sykora says he could score more goals with Geno? Because he knows Geno has the ability to work with him and is willing to do so.

Mario did the same thing. He could always play in such a manner to help out his linemates.

This isn't a knock against Sid, although people will perceive it as such. It's just that he and Geno have different approaches to the game. To me, that's why comparisons between the 2 are futile. They are really two completely different types of players, and we are lucky to have both.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 am

Pitts wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:So what other superstars has he played with? He is obviously digging Sid.

"Obviously?" Not sure I make that connection. Sykora has played in New Jersey, New York and Edmonton. He has also played internationally.

Yes obviously. Sid yells at teammates on camera. Sykora is friends with Jagr, the only other superstar he has played with in the NHL besides Brodeur, a goalie. So unless Brodeur called out forwards, he is referring to Sid.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Sykora loves Sid. There's no question, the two are great friends. I doubt he's talking about Sid here, probably some others he's played with. Maybe even Hossa.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guido on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:22 pm

A few things I pull from this interview (Thank you Tomas):

- A lot of the Therrien haters seem to have been right all along. At best it's only a handful of guys who are not happy with the manner in which MT juggles the lines and disproportionately awards ice time. I do not think it's a coincidence that the most talented winger on this team comes out and pretty much agrees with what a lot of MT haters have said. A coach with more familiarity on how to utilize top notch talent would do wonders, in my opinion. Same goes for Mike Yeo. What does a career, mediocre minor leaguer know about setting up one of the most talented powerplay units in the league?

- Sykora blames a lot of the team's struggles on a short off-season and injurries. Then he cites Philadelphia as an example of a team that is doing good. I do not like the fact that it seems the team accepts their struggles and blames their loss in the Stanley Cup Final. Philadelphia played only a handful of fewer games last season. Philly also has had its share of the injury bug, ESPECIALLY to their defensemen. However, they have turned in a very succesful first half of the season. I am just saying, buying into the injury/long Cup run excuse is a defeatist attitude.

- He gels excedingly well with Geno, which is awesome.

I, for one, hope that Syko returns for 2 or 3 more seasons. He works great with Malkin and seems to be a great influence in the locker room. No, he's not the 'grizzled vet' like Roberts or Recchi or Sundin, but he is a guy who has been around different teams and knows what it takes to win and knows what it's like to see a team implode.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:25 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Awesome interview! Thanks Tomas these are always appreciated!

Q: What would be your biggest praise regarding Malkin?

A: He is exceptional because he can take a puck, beats an opponent, and he still sees you. He can see you regardless where on the ice you are, even when two players guard him. He can pass to me like nobody ever before. And he is a nice guy who does not vilify you when things go wrong. He is not like some other starts who are constantly pissed off. He is OK all the time, cool, no problem.

Lol subtle dig at Sid?

He may not have meant Sid, but you could easily make the comparison...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Guido wrote:- Sykora blames a lot of the team's struggles on a short off-season and injurries. Then he cites Philadelphia as an example of a team that is doing good. I do not like the fact that it seems the team accepts their struggles and blames their loss in the Stanley Cup Final. Philadelphia played only a handful of fewer games last season. Philly also has had its share of the injury bug, ESPECIALLY to their defensemen. However, they have turned in a very succesful first half of the season. I am just saying, buying into the injury/long Cup run excuse is a defeatist attitude.

I know what you mean, but I think Sykora is just telling it like it is. He's been around, he's been on cup teams and bad teams and everything in between. It's no coincidence that cup final losers tend to slide the next season. It just takes an enormous mental and physical toll and it's really tough to keep up the same high level of play.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:44 pm

llipgh2 wrote:It seems to me that Sid is a Type A personality to the nth degree. He feels he gives 150% and expects everyone he plays with to do just the same. He expects people to keep up with him, and play his style. Which is why he worked so well with Hossa. Hossa could easily keep up with him and anticipate his moves.

Malkin is a bit different in his approach. He adjusts his game to his linemates. When he's with Sid, he can keep up with Sid, no problem. That's why I'm guessing Sid loves having him as a linemate. He's an equal.

But when Geno's playing with Malone and Sykora, or Fedo and Sykora, he ever so slightly adjusts his game. Notice how Sykora says he could score more goals with Geno? Because he knows Geno has the ability to work with him and is willing to do so.

Mario did the same thing. He could always play in such a manner to help out his linemates.

This isn't a knock against Sid, although people will perceive it as such. It's just that he and Geno have different approaches to the game. To me, that's why comparisons between the 2 are futile. They are really two completely different types of players, and we are lucky to have both.

This is a great summation, llipgh. Personally, I'd prefer to play with a laid-back guy like Geno than a Type A, Charlie Hussle type like Sid, but that's just me.

And thanks for the great translation, Tomas!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wallflower on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 pm

llipgh2 wrote:This isn't a knock against Sid, although people will perceive it as such. It's just that he and Geno have different approaches to the game. To me, that's why comparisons between the 2 are futile. They are really two completely different types of players, and we are lucky to have both.

I'm going to quote this specifically because it always gets lost in the 'OMG Crosby vs Malkin' debates.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Pitts wrote:Sykora has played in New Jersey, New York and Edmonton. He has also played internationally.

He also played two seasons with the Mighty Ducks.

He played with Kariya.

He also played with Adam Oates. :twisted:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MDA/2003.html

Did you guys know there was another Petr Sykora that played briefly in the NHL? I wonder if they were related...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:58 pm

"You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm assuming that a lot of the guys on the team don't like MT.

I'm assuming that Sykora thinks Crosby can get mad very easy.

Hmmm...

Anyways, great translation Tomas!
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Pitts wrote:Sykora has played in New Jersey, New York and Edmonton. He has also played internationally.

He also played two seasons with the Mighty Ducks.

He played with Kariya.

He also played with Adam Oates. :twisted:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MDA/2003.html

Did you guys know there was another Petr Sykora that played briefly in the NHL? I wonder if they were related...

He hates both Adam Oates'
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Obviously Sykie hates "superstar" talbot for being in the commercial he wanted for himself! Ha! :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Looks like Sykie is validating what a lot of posters have said on here.

1. The players aren't crazy about MT
2. Geno is easier to play with then Sid.
3. Not having Gonch is a real problem on PP and even strength.

Nice analogy llipgh2, couldn't agree more.

Thanks Thomas, VERY interesting read. 8-)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
pensfan20 wrote: And the possiblity of Sykora actually resigning here next season.

Yes it does, and this worries me.

Yeah. I hate it when guys are on pace for 30+ goals on a team that can't score. That's so annoying.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Guido wrote:I, for one, hope that Syko returns for 2 or 3 more seasons. He works great with Malkin and seems to be a great influence in the locker room. No, he's not the 'grizzled vet' like Roberts or Recchi or Sundin, but he is a guy who has been around different teams and knows what it takes to win and knows what it's like to see a team implode.

I second this! And -- I think he will.

Digitalgypsy66 --- I did remember Anaheim after I had posted originally. Sykora's definitely been around.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 pm

offsides wrote:Looks like Sykie is validating what a lot of posters have said on here.

1. The players aren't crazy about MT
2. Geno is easier to play with then Sid.
3. Not having Gonch is a real problem on PP and even strength.

Nice analogy llipgh2, couldn't agree more.

Thanks Thomas, VERY interesting read. 8-)

Well I don't know if it's all players aren't crazy about MT, or the players who feel they have been slighted by MT. I'm sure Sykora isn't happy about no longer playing with Geno, and didn't appreciate the perceived demotions during his time here so far.

Thanks for the nice comment, offsides. And thanks to anyone else who likes what I wrote! :D
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:27 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Well I don't know if it's all players aren't crazy about MT, or the players who feel they have been slighted by MT. I'm sure Sykora isn't happy about no longer playing with Geno, and didn't appreciate the perceived demotions during his time here so far.

Thanks for the nice comment, offsides. And thanks to anyone else who likes what I wrote! :D

Good point, I should of said SOME of the players. Guess we will never know which ones.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby czwalga on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

That's probably the best interview I've ever read from a pittsburgh penguins player.

If I had to put money on it, crosby would be included in the 'some superstars' that he mentioned. Not saying for sure, but he clearly has man love for geno and not too much for sid.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm

What would happen is Sidney Crosby said "I dont like playing hockey with Petr Sykora becuase he is rather indifferent when it comes to playing defense?"
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Well, I'm sure Sykie, Sid and MT will have a chance to make some comments, because Empty Netters in the P-G picked up this thread and posted parts of the interview out of context:

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx

You know they all will be asked about this tonight.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby chrislapo on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:47 pm

After reading this article, it is clear that: A. Sykora loves Therrian; B. Sykora loves playing with Sidney Crosby; C. Sykora hates Evgeni Malkin's guts; and D. Sykora wants to go to the Detroit Red Wings next season.

Thanks for the great article Tomas!
chrislapo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins