Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Steve wrote:"You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."

That’s the worst idea I’ve ever heard in my life
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jerez on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Great interview. Thanks so much for the translation, Tomas!
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:03 pm

You know, the more I hear about him, the more I think Malkin isn't just a great hockey player, but a swell guy, as well.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:You know, the more I hear about him, the more I think Malkin isn't just a great hockey player, but a swell guy, as well.

Cue the Sid vs Malkin who do you keep if you can only keep one for their whole career discussion...
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slipshod on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Excellent translation.

I think Sid needs to read "How to win friends and influence people." I know that sounds like a joke but he really could. He breaks several basic rules on winning people over to your way of thinking while Malkin seems to follow them naturally.

I think MT's way of coaching works well for a group of very young players but not so well with an older team and he will need to be replaced soon.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 pm

The same things that people complain about with Sid are very similar to things people complained about with Michael Jordan. The same things that make them great competitors are also the same things that make them come off in a bad light sometimes. Not saying that's the only way to do it, but some people are just wired a certain way.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:45 pm

MWB wrote:The same things that people complain about with Sid are very similar to things people complained about with Michael Jordan. The same things that make them great competitors are also the same things that make them come off in a bad light sometimes. Not saying that's the only way to do it, but some people are just wired a certain way.

I like Therrien, but Jordan had Phil Jackson come and bring that team together.

Therrien surely is no Phil Jackson.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby westside on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the translation. Great article.

Nice to hear Sykora's view on MT and Geno. Also good to hear that he wants to stay in the Burg for a few more years. Considering our lack in scoring wingers, he's becoming more and more of a must re-sign for me this off season.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Well, at least this should settle the "players are okay with Therrien, and there aren't any problems" camp.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Well, at least this should settle the "players are okay with Therrien, and there aren't any problems" camp.

haha. that interview is full of LGP fodder.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 pm

very good read. Some good take-aways from the article, especially the stuff about MT, Geno, and Sykora wanting to stay. I definetly think his one comment was somewhat directed at Sid and how he handles things.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 pm

"Dis team, dey dont like me, I don't cay're. De problem is deez guys is soff. Day dont lissen to de coach staff. Yo' tell dem to pass de puck better and not shoo an datz de only good ting dey good at. Bring in Jayromir. I dun cay're. Player do not listen to the coach. We have to bench and yell so de team is okey. Sid play bad to get rid of me. Sykora like Malkin too much so I bench. I really tink dis team want to be de worse team in de NHL. If we keep lose, de team actually win. De players get new coach and shot at Tavares."
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Samsdog on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Great translation, thanks a million.

Someone does not like line-juggling. It also sounds like if Malkin wasn't here or if he doesn't start getting to spend the majority of time with Geno he'd/'ll be on the first train out of here in July.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:Well, at least this should settle the "players are okay with Therrien, and there aren't any problems" camp.

haha. that interview is full of LGP fodder.

That's the one thing we have to remember about this. It's an inteview with 1 player. And it's a print interview. We don't know if these are complete answers, or if some questions/answers were edited out. We know what the writer and editor want us to know.

I take these kinds of things with a grain of salt. These types of interviews are fun to read, and lead to interesting discussions. A little insight is given. But is it gospel? I doubt it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
MWB wrote:The same things that people complain about with Sid are very similar to things people complained about with Michael Jordan. The same things that make them great competitors are also the same things that make them come off in a bad light sometimes. Not saying that's the only way to do it, but some people are just wired a certain way.

He's also not Scotty Bowman either, another coach players whined about and said was a real meanie. How about other cup coaches like Keenan, Burns, Hartley, etc.? Whether players "like" the coaching staff is meaningless.

That's a good interview with Sykora where he speaks his mind pretty directly, but now it's getting over-analyzed about what he DIDN'T say. Judging from the tone of the interview, Sykora said exactly what he thought and didn't need to imply any hidden meanings on any subjects.

The comment that Sid and Malkin are the only superstars he's played with so "he had to be referring to Sid" is just wrong. Sykora has played with Jagr, Scott Stevens, Pronger, Kariya, Shanahan, Fetisov, etc. etc.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm

brwi wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

He's also not Scotty Bowman either, another coach players whined about and said was a real meanie. How about other cup coaches like Keenan, Burns, Hartley, etc.? Whether players "like" the coaching staff is meaningless.

That's a good interview with Sykora where he speaks his mind pretty directly, but now it's getting over-analyzed about what he DIDN'T say. Judging from the tone of the interview, Sykora said exactly what he thought and didn't need to imply any hidden meanings on any subjects.

The comment that Sid and Malkin are the only superstars he's played with so "he had to be referring to Sid" is just wrong. Sykora has played with Jagr, Scott Stevens, Pronger, Kariya, Shanahan, Fetisov, etc. etc.

Brad

Excellent point. And by all accounts Sykora did NOT like Scott Stevens- he was one of the players that got on his case for not playing with an injury during the playoffs in his last year in New Jersey. From what I've read Sykora thought he was traded because he didn't play in that game, and if Stevens really did get on his case I'm guessing there's some hard feelings there. Pronger is no walk in the park, there's conflicting reports on Fetisov although I'd say anything bad about him is at least partially overblown. Lots of options to choose from there.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:49 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Well, I'm sure Sykie, Sid and MT will have a chance to make some comments, because Empty Netters in the P-G picked up this thread and posted parts of the interview out of context:

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx

You know they all will be asked about this tonight.

WOAH! Holy Caption this moment:

Talk about "Man-Love" for Geno!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 pm

slipshod wrote:I think Sid needs to read "How to win friends and influence people." I know that sounds like a joke but he really could. He breaks several basic rules on winning people over to your way of thinking while Malkin seems to follow them naturally.

Seriously, how the HELL does anyone on here know or assume this??? Really, it is amazing what all the know-alls gleaned from NOTHING in that interview.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Pens15 wrote:The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.

It doesn't really matter if he was specifically referring to Crosby.
The problem is that Crosby is pretty close to meeting that general description.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:53 pm

columbia wrote:
Pens15 wrote:The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.

It doesn't really matter if he was specifically referring to Crosby.
The problem is that Crosby is pretty close to meeting that general description.

I think the real problem is that we're not playing team defense.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:53 pm

columbia wrote:The problem is that Crosby is pretty close to meeting that general description.

Oh, so you've played hockey with him then?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Pitts wrote:
columbia wrote:The problem is that Crosby is pretty close to meeting that general description.

His on ice persona is self-righteous and annoying.
I can see that from the seats or the comfort of my couch.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 pm

columbia wrote:
Pitts wrote:

His on ice persona is self-righteous and annoying.
I can see that from the seats or the comfort of my couch.

FAIL.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:"Sykora like Malkin too much so I bench."

Nice! :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Pitts wrote:FAIL.

I don't doubt that we view it differently.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins