Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Translation of a long interview with Petr Sykora

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:10 pm

columbia wrote:
Pitts wrote:FAIL.

I don't doubt that we view it differently.

I agree. I call it grasping at straws.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guido on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:39 pm

A lot of the jealous sentiment from Flyers and Rangers fans has crept into the minds of a lot of Pens fans.

The perception of Crosby being a whiner and a player who embellishes. The idea that he is overrated and is a manufactured star. People saying he is not a leader.

Sure, there is some truth in every argument, but a lot of Pens fans have taken the low road when blowing these things way out of proportion.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:44 pm

columbia wrote:
Pens15 wrote:The part about certain superstars who "vilify you" and "are always pissed off" caught my eye. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought he might be talking about Sid Crosby.

It doesn't really matter if he was specifically referring to Crosby.
The problem is that Crosby is pretty close to meeting that general description.

Even if that description were true, I don't understand why it's considered a problem. Sid has played with a "pissed off" look his entire (short) NHL career - one in which he's done fairly well in so far. 8-)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:08 pm

No one has blown anything out of proportion in this thread when speculating on what Sykora meant. It doesn't take much of a mental leap to realize that if Sykora is busy praising Malkin and saying how relaxed and easy he is to play with, and then generically criticizes other super stars while (this is the key part here) not mentioning Crosby one way or the other, that he may not approve of Sid's leadership.

If anything, the Sidney Crosby Defense Force blows any small criticism against him way out of proportion.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:not mentioning Crosby one way or the other, that he may not approve of Sid's leadership.

You were saying? Not mentioning him at all means he is offering an opinion about Crosby? That is a mental leap.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:No one has blown anything out of proportion in this thread when speculating on what Sykora meant. It doesn't take much of a mental leap to realize that if Sykora is busy praising Malkin and saying how relaxed and easy he is to play with, and then generically criticizes other super stars while (this is the key part here) not mentioning Crosby one way or the other, that he may not approve of Sid's leadership.

If anything, the Sidney Crosby Defense Force blows any small criticism against him way out of proportion.

This is where I laugh at how much people read in to things to see or hear what they want. He said nothing about leadership, but somehow he doesn't approve of Sid's leadership?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:05 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:No one has blown anything out of proportion in this thread when speculating on what Sykora meant. It doesn't take much of a mental leap to realize that if Sykora is busy praising Malkin and saying how relaxed and easy he is to play with, and then generically criticizes other super stars while (this is the key part here) not mentioning Crosby one way or the other, that he may not approve of Sid's leadership.

It also doesn't take much of a mental leap to know that some people will try to find whatever they can to criticize Crosby. Some are valid questions to bring up I guess, but others just grasp at what could be, maybe is, musta meant. Why did he mention Malkin specifically without talking about Crosby specifically? Maybe because the question was, "What would be your biggest praise regarding Malkin?"
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:27 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:If anything, the Sidney Crosby Defense Force blows any small criticism against him way out of proportion.

IMO, the fact that there is a 'Sidney Crosby Defense Force' and that most of the time it's defending (unwarranted) criticism from Pens fans, is in itself pretty ridiculous.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:33 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:If anything, the Sidney Crosby Defense Force blows any small criticism against him way out of proportion.

IMO, the fact that there is a 'Sidney Crosby Defense Force' and that most of the time it's defending (unwarranted) criticism from Pens fans, is in itself pretty ridiculous.

I want to be Godard's wingman on the SCDF.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

:thumb:

*and the need to explain that by agreeing to this I am not insulting Evgeni.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:17 am

I am not a card carrying member of the SCDF. Lord knows, I've done my share of criticizing (mostly, his whining on ice). But, there isn't even a need for the SCDF in this thread as nothing bad was said about him in the interview.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 am

Perhaps Sykora would have said something about Crosby if the interviewer asked something about crosby.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 am

Pitts wrote:I am not a card carrying member of the SCDF. Lord knows, I've done my share of criticizing (mostly, his whining on ice). But, there isn't even a need for the SCDF in this thread as nothing bad was said about him in the interview.

Ah, but you're missing the essential point. He didn't say something about Crosby so by not saying something he really meant that he was saying something that he just didn't want to say but wanted everyone to know. :wink:
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby psurh22 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:52 am

Back to the Crosby being harsh on his line mates discussion...

I still don't see what's wrong with being demanding of your line mates. I think it speaks more to Malone and Sykora being mentally weak and "soft" in that they can't handle criticism from a line mate (who also happens to be the team captain). If you're missing passes or failing to perform your duties, you should her about it. These are professional hockey players making millions of dollars, they shouldn't have to be coddled and excused for failing to perform their job by an easy going line mate.
psurh22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:36 am

Note: Tomas translates this Sykora interview and then subsequently gets hit with an ice storm that has knocked out his power until this weekend. Do *not* mess with Sykora. ;)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 am

Pitts wrote:I am not a card carrying member of the SCDF. Lord knows, I've done my share of criticizing (mostly, his whining on ice). But, there isn't even a need for the SCDF in this thread as nothing bad was said about him in the interview.

I agree. It may have been a criticism of Crosby by Sykora. What I find interesting is that the SCDF members in this thread are 100% convinced that Sykora did not mean Crosby in that criticism.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:59 am

Crosby doesn't need a defense force. His approach to the game tells more about him than any post on an Internet message board. I recently read a quote from Brent Sutter (he of the legendary Sutter family work ethic, intensity, etc) where Sutter named Crosby and Parise as the 2 hardest working players he's coached. Crosby plays hard every shift. He walks the walk to back up his talk. Why wouldn't a guy with that type of professionalism expect others to play the same way? Is Crosby wrong for thinking players should try hard every shift and Sykora and Malone are right for thinking it is OK to float softly through long periods of time? :roll:

Sykora is a nice complimentary player and a decent Cap bargain at a bit more than the NHL's average salary. His status in the NHL though hardly qualifies him as some kind of ultimate authority about the right or wrong level of expectations for linemates. If Sykora played hard every shift who would criticize him? I doubt any player or coach would.

Teammates used to say Mike Jordan was a big meanie and was too tough on their fragile egos. I'm sure all those guys would easily trade all their championship rings (as many as 6 for some) if they could have spent their careers with a more nurturing, loving, empathetic, easy going guy that didn't push them to maximize their productivity. :roll:
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Draftnik wrote:Why wouldn't a guy with that type of professionalism expect others to play the same way?

Because it is 100% not professional to yell at your colleagues. In fact, that is the opposite of professionalism. That is called being a jerk. I'm not saying Sid is like that, I'm just saying that acting like a jerk is not a good leadership style.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:08 pm

psurh22 wrote:Back to the Crosby being harsh on his line mates discussion...

I still don't see what's wrong with being demanding of your line mates. I think it speaks more to Malone and Sykora being mentally weak and "soft" in that they can't handle criticism from a line mate (who also happens to be the team captain). If you're missing passes or failing to perform your duties, you should her about it. These are professional hockey players making millions of dollars, they shouldn't have to be coddled and excused for failing to perform their job by an easy going line mate.

Well, th thing is, typically it's not a co-worker's place to criticize your work ethic, it's a boss's place. So, it's one thing if MT comes up to Sykora or Malone and says they're not working, but it's a completely different beast when Crosby does it.

That's beside the point, though. I think the reason this comes up is because it is generally more fun to play on Malkin's line; he adjusts to you and is more laid-back. It's no knock on Crosby, it's just that Malkin provides a more enjoyable experience. Wouldn't you rather work with the guy who's always smiling then the guy who is constantly concerned that you're doing as much work as him?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:13 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Why wouldn't a guy with that type of professionalism expect others to play the same way?

Because it is 100% not professional to yell at your colleagues. In fact, that is the opposite of professionalism. That is called being a jerk. I'm not saying Sid is like that, I'm just saying that acting like a jerk is not a good leadership style.

In a normal workplace, I'd agree with you. In the sports field, not so much. It's much more intense which can lead to more yelling. There are countless "good leaders" who I'm sure yelled plenty at their teammates and while some might have been pissed with them at that moment, it usually doesn't carry over in a negative way.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:Well, th thing is, typically it's not a co-worker's place to criticize your work ethic, it's a boss's place. So, it's one thing if MT comes up to Sykora or Malone and says they're not working, but it's a completely different beast when Crosby does it.

He's the captain, so part of the job description is to get on people if you don't think they're working hard.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 pm

psurh22 wrote:Back to the Crosby being harsh on his line mates discussion...

I don't think Sykora said anything to insinuate that he can't handle criticism. He, like everyone, has preferences.... doesn't mean he's not professional about it though.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm

MWB wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

In a normal workplace, I'd agree with you. In the sports field, not so much. It's much more intense which can lead to more yelling. There are countless "good leaders" who I'm sure yelled plenty at their teammates and while some might have been pissed with them at that moment, it usually doesn't carry over in a negative way.

I disagree. Yelling at someone is very rarely the correct solution to get someone else to maximize their performance in any situation. It really depends on the person. Some people may respond, others will just tune the person out. Why follow someone who is being a jerk?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shane613 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:34 pm

i doubt sykora was making a jab at sid....but even if he was, is it really that bad? sid is easily considered one of the best, if not THE best, players in the world...and anyone can see that he is extremely competitive, and people who are extremely competitive expect alot out of their teammates, as they should.
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I disagree. Yelling at someone is very rarely the correct solution to get someone else to maximize their performance in any situation. It really depends on the person. Some people may respond, others will just tune the person out. Why follow someone who is being a jerk?

Exactly, it depends on the person. So there very well could be times when it does get the most out of a person. There is not a direct correlation between a person yelling and them being a jerk.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins