The Playoff Push, You As the GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Playoff Push, You As the GM

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Okay, Versus just had a segment entitled the Second Half Playoff Push. Now, let's try and be serious (I know that's kind of hard here) but put yourself in Ray Shero's shoes. In the name of Age of Empires, the ultimate, original, real-time strategy game, let's say you are the GM for the second half.

(AKA. PG Headline tomorrow, "RAY SHERO FIRED BY LEMIEUX/SAWYER, *Insert LGP Name Here* NAMED NEW GM")

Yes, you are the GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. You are inheriting a record over .500, at 23-21-4, with a new backup goalie that will hopefully push Fleury. The current GF registers at 144, while the GA is 2 over that with 146. Old injuries are starting to heal, yet you have a wealth of AHL players who have done fine at their roles with "the big club." Your lines are incredibly incomplete, as the NHL has just nailed Cooke with a BS two game suspension. You have complete authority to make any moves you want to help steer the Penguins in the right direction. There are limitless options. Would you "FIRE MT IMMEDIATELY!!11oneone" Or would you "replace Yeo?" Sykora just cut an interview with a European source, and some guy at a fansite translated it, creating questionable negative PR for the team. What are your choices?

Though I know most of you will approach this as a joke, I would really like to see some options. I.E. REALISTIC, UN-EKLUNDY, TRADES possible call-ups/send-downs, chances for forwards *cough* Na Na Na Na *cough*, etc.

Either way, it should make some interesting, if not entertaining, discussion. Have at it.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Playoff Push, You As the GM

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 pm

I'm just going to say that I love AOE and I miss the zone terribly.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 pm

I'd retool completely.

I'd trade Gogo, Staal, Dupuis and a 2nd round pick to LA for Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson.
I'd trade Satan and a pick (or find some way) to aquire Jordin Tootoo from Nashville.
I'd trade Boucher for a 4th rounder.

I'd hire Ted Nolan to take over the team immediately.

I'd roll into the 2nd half of the season with;

Kennedy/Minard - Crosby - Brown
Fedotenko/Kennedy - Malkin - Sykora
Tootoo - Jeffrey - Cooke
Biz/Wallace - Talbot - Godard

Johnson - Whitney
Orpik - Letang
Gill - Scuderi

Or something along those lines. It's the best I could come up with on such short notice. You get the idea.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 pm

AP: KG makes first trade as new Penguins GM.

The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired forwards Nathan Horton and Cory Stillman from the Florida Panthers in exchange for defensman Ryan Whitney, forward Miroslav Satan and Tampa Bay Lightnings 3rd round draft pick in 2009. The announcment was made by GM KG.

"It's never easy moving a core player with the talent of a Ryan Whitney but we feel with Gonchar coming back relatively shortly and the emergence of our young talented defenders in Letang and Goligoski Whitney became a luxury."

"We recognized that we were sorely lacking goal scoring wingers and we feel Horton brings a certain element to this team that has been missing since Ryan Malone left. Stillman is someone that brings cup winning expeirence and a veteran goal scorer to the lineup. He is also a well respected locker room guy and will be a big leader down the stretch for us."

"I hope that this move jump starts this team to secure a playoff position, because as Mario Lemieux has stated, we need to make the playoffs this year and I am fully on board with that."
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 pm

I'll play along.

PG: NPV708 is named new Penguins gm, promises Change.
First order of business is Yeo has got to go.
1) Yeo Fired, replaced by me on the bench as special teams coach.
2) MT is given 5 game test. If he gets three wins, he stays, otherwise he is gone and replaced by Ronny Francis as HC, Ulf as d coach, and paul coffey as special teams coach. I resume my role behind the scenes.
3) Satan/Boucher are traded for picks or waived setting up room for Staal/Whitney/Pick is traded to Atl for Kovalchuk and Little.
4)Minard is called back up, Bis stays, Thomas is a maybe, Peso gets a real chance on both es and the pp.
5)Lines will look like this after Cooke returns.
Cooke-Crosby-Pesonen
Kennedy-Malkin-Sykora
Minard-Staal-Satan
BizNasty-Thomas/Talbot - Godard

Orpik-Whitney
Letang-Eaton
Goligoski-Scuderi

I keep Jagr on speed dial also.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Trade Adam Oates on Steroids for Jiri Tlusty, Anton Stralman, and a 2nd.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 pm

My first act as GM would be to check lgp message board to see what to do.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:35 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I'd trade Gogo, Staal, Dupuis and a 2nd round pick to LA for Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson.

I thought one of the rules was realistic, un-eklundy trades.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:36 pm

MWB wrote:My first act as GM would be to check lgp message board to see what to do.

:lol: Though I can see this response is how some would take it, it is not what is meant by the original post.

For the first couple of responses (save for the one of AOE [which I agree with you]) excellent choices. As for Adam Oates on steroids for a bag of pucks :lol: :roll:

I want those of you, who are more mature, to think of what you would do from a business standpoint. "Make a managerial decision" (cue Fight Club).
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41 pm

I'd trade Gogo, Staal, Dupuis and a 2nd round pick to LA for Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson.

If this was a viable trade option do you think that Shero would not have made the trade by now? I have stage two thinking about dustin brown right now. The only was DB comes to pittsburgh is including a crosby or a malkin.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 pm

DB could come here without Sid or Gino going the other way, it just wouldn't be worth it for either side, probably.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:46 pm

As GM, I'd do nothing until closer to the trade deadline, then see who is buying/selling and who may be available. I'd be looking for one top-6 winger(see Hedjuk, Tanguay) that isn't about to be UFA and at least one forward(even for 3rd or 4th line duty) with serious speed who knows where is own zone is. Mid-late draft picks.

If anyone offers anything for Satan or Boucher, offer accepted.
I would put Goligoski, Talbot and Whitney on the trading block if the return met the above criteria.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby C4 Row E on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Goligoski and a 3rd to Buffalo for Drew Stafford
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:

If this was a viable trade option do you think that Shero would not have made the trade by now? I have stage two thinking about dustin brown right now. The only was DB comes to pittsburgh is including a crosby or a malkin.

:roll: Dustin Brown doesn't belong in the same sentence with Crosby or Malkin and trading players. I think Brown is very good, but he's not close to an elite level.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 pm

dustin brown is going to be such a beast. He has a ridiculous shot and is surprisingly quick and is signed at an unbelievable deal. Good work LA.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 pm

PG Headline: "RAY SHERO FIRED BY LEMIEUX/SAWYER, WALLFLOWER NAMED NEW GM"

First, I'm going to re-hire Shero as my assistant. Just because I like him.

Next, I'm going to re-assign the coaching staff to new positions within the organization (Therrien needs to be kept for his soundbytes) and bring on Idoit40fans as head coach, and eastonpensfan as his assistant. I'll let them detail their plans for the team.

(For serious.)
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 pm

I would have fixed the problem before the season even started by signing Blake Wheeler like i wanted to penguins to do in the first place...

...I would have moved sydor in the offseason earlier and never even concidered the terrible terrible just terrible(thats my charles barkley impression) Boucher as far away from my roster as possible....

At this point i ma happy to go with the defense i have....

I fire the goaltending coach just to shake things up...ill get someone who doesnt speak any french just to piss off the frenchies while im at it!
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 pm

wallflower wrote:PG Headline: "RAY SHERO FIRED BY LEMIEUX/SAWYER, WALLFLOWER NAMED NEW GM"

First, I'm going to re-hire Shero as my assistant. Just because I like him.

Next, I'm going to re-assign the coaching staff to new positions within the organization (Therrien needs to be kept for his soundbytes) and bring on Idoit40fans as head coach, and eastonpensfan as his assistant. I'll let them detail their plans for the team.

(For serious.)

:lol: Good choices. I hope they hold a press conference, live on LGP, with their respective new positions.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:I would have fixed the problem before the season even started by signing Blake Wheeler like i wanted to penguins to do in the first place...

...I would have moved sydor in the offseason earlier and never even concidered the terrible terrible just terrible(thats my charles barkley impression) Boucher as far away from my roster as possible....

At this point i ma happy to go with the defense i have....

I fire the goaltending coach just to shake things up...ill get someone who doesnt speak any french just to piss off the frenchies while im at it!

Sounds good, but what do you do if you inherit the team mid-season?

Do you move Boucher for a pick, and remain happy with...

Whitney - Scuderi
Letang - Goligoski
Eaton - Gill

Do you call up Lovejoy, and give him another shot? Do you try and move Gill? Do you take Andre Savard under the Fort Pitt Bridge and give him a beat down?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 pm

PG Headline: "RAY SHERO FIRED BY LEMIEUX/SAWYER, JAMES JOHNSON (My favorite alias) NAMED NEW GM"

First act: I tell Mike Yeo exactly what I want on the PP. Malkin on the half, Crosby down low, Gogo and Whitney at the points, Cooke in front. Gogo quarterbacks. No more than three passes are allowed without taking a shot.
Next, I move Eaton and Boucher for picks/prospects and hopefully a decent #7 d. I'm not married to the D, I could deal with Lovejoy as the extra.
Next, I move Satan for any cheap, tough forward I can get. He just needs to be a guy capable of playing third-line minutes. Roster filler who is willing to hit.
Then, I tell MT to play these lines, and to give them at least five games to test it out; the line-shuffling must be kept in check:
Staal- Malkin - Sykora
Cooke - Crosby - Fedetenko
Dupuis/New Guy - Talbot - Kennedy
Godard - Jeffery - Biz
Whitney- Orpik
Letang - Scuds
Gogo- Gill
Lastly, I sign Scuderi to a 3-year, $6-8 million extension.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:17 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:I would have fixed the problem before the season even started by signing Blake Wheeler like i wanted to penguins to do in the first place...

Why do some people act like the Pens had a shot at Blake Wheeler? He basically went where he wanted to go. The Pens can't sign everyone they're interested in.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm really curious as to why many people here are suggesting a need for more forwards, while giving up a package made legit by defensemen. The defense (both in terms of defensemen and team defense) is ranked 25th in goals against, while the Penguins are 10th in goals-for. The solution to such a problem is not to add more offense, but rather to improve the defense.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

Why do some people act like the Pens had a shot at Blake Wheeler? He basically went where he wanted to go. The Pens can't sign everyone they're interested in.

Exactly. When a player signs with a team, money is just one of many factors. It may be the most important of them, but it isn't the only one.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Indyman on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:26 pm

First order of business - Fire Therrien and Yeo - Bring in Totorella and whoever he recommends to bring in. Mind games and constant line juggling does not constitute coaching here anymore.

Trade Deadline:

Satan to the Oilers for a 4th round pick

Boucher to Ducks for a 3rd round pick

Bissonette, Eaton and a 2nd round pick for Antropov (scoff if you will, but Burke really likes Biz, and Eaton is a serviceable dman)

Whitney & Dupuis for Frolov, O'Donnell and 2nd round pick

4th rounder for Chris Neil

PLAYOFF LINES

Antropov - Crosby - Frolov
Fedetenko- Malkin - Sykora
Cooke- Staal -Kennedy
Jeffery-Talbot -Neil

Gonchar- Orpik
Letang - Scuds
O'Donnell/Gogo- Gill

The top line would be the "top line" - with a killer 2nd line. The 3rd and 4th line wouldn't be easy to play against, thats for sure.
Last edited by Indyman on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

Sort of my point...what would you do MID-SEASON. There's no time machine here. You have what you have, and that is.

16 Paul Bissonnette 6' 2" 211 Mar 11, 1985 23 Welland, ON, CAN
24 Matt Cooke 5' 11" 205 Sep 7, 1978 30 Belleville, ON, CAN
87 Sidney Crosby "C" 5' 11" 200 Aug 7, 1987 21 Cole Harbour, NS, CAN
9 Pascal Dupuis 6' 1" 205 Apr 7, 1979 29 Laval, QC, CAN
26 Ruslan Fedotenko ** 6' 2" 195 Jan 18, 1979 30 Kiev, UKR
28 Eric Godard 6' 4" 214 Mar 7, 1980 28 Vernon, BC, CAN
48 Tyler Kennedy 5' 11" 183 Jul 15, 1986 22 Sault Ste. Marie, ON, CAN
71 Evgeni Malkin 6' 3" 195 Jul 31, 1986 22 Magnitogorsk, RUS
81 Miroslav Satan 6' 3" 191 Oct 22, 1974 34 Topolcany, SVK
11 Jordan Staal 6' 4" 220 Sep 10, 1988 20 Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
17 Petr Sykora "A" 6' 0" 190 Nov 19, 1976 32 Plzen, CZE
25 Maxime Talbot 5' 11" 190 Feb 11, 1984 24 Lemoyne, QC, CAN