The Playoff Push, You As the GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Playoff Push, You As the GM

Postby Eismann on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 am

GM Eismann does this:

Nothing.

Rationale:
1) Trading for just about any worthy player involves trading with a playoff contender who is exceptionally unlikely to trade their desirable talent to a marginal playoff team.

2) The Penguins are a marginal playoff team with players whose talent is generally superior to most teams, but for several reasons (most of which are unknown) is not cohesed. Witness the game between BOS and WASH last night, the fact that the Devils, Rangers and Flyers (all with less talent) are better than the Pens, and it's clear that the gulf between top teams in the East and the Pens is not talent-related, but mental-related. Adding new, otherwise significant pieces will only cause more disruptions. Save the money and the disruptions and bank on the current roster doing the right things. True, hasn't worked well so far, but it's the more cost-effective tack with the greater NPV. Else:

3) Accept that the team has the SCF loser jinx and will tread water this year - at best - but is funneling down and will lose, even with all new shiny traded good players. Try again next year.

4) Minor change with potential attractive payoff: Replace Yeo. Ineffective, apparently, now. Bring in anyone as a fresh-air blast and hope for better. Can't get worse. Ok, so it's not "nothing;" but it isn't player-related.

5) Buy self a pony.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 am

Eismann wrote:GM Eismann does this:

5) Buy self a pony.

:lol: :lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 am

Steve wrote:My appreciation of Ray Shero is up 97.35% after reading through this thread.

Sort of the point I'm trying to make. Never-the-less, it's always good to see different options.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 am

If I were named GM, I would cash my first paycheck in one dollar bills and take a bath in them.

After that, I'd see where the team stood closer to the trade deadline and make my decisions based on that. If they're in the same position, I'd probably stand firm and maybe deal off a defenseman or two if there is interest. If they're in a playoff spot, I'd consider a minor upgrade, maybe a veteran up front. If there's a deal out there for a younger, productive player (like Horton) I'd always consider it, regardless of the standings.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:39 am

All my glum-itude considered, I'm still thinking Geno's going to go iddqd soon.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:39 am

Not sure what I'd do during the season yet, but on June 30th, I announce that Malkin is available for trade. While all the other GMs are busy calling my cell phone about Geno, I start plucking the UFA forwards I like at reasonable prices since they aren't getting calls from other GMs (they are all calling my cell phone). Hold press conference saying that Malkin was never available.

I'm sure I'd also have to make some sort of deal to lower the cap figure... but I will figure that out at the trade deadline this year.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 am

I would also call up the Rangers and tell them I was willing to take the Gomez contract off their hands. When they get all excited and ask what I can give them in return, I laugh and hang up.

Seriously... I think I would spend a lot of time prank calling the other GMs.

The only fault in my plan would be when I called up Garth snow and told him I had Satan ready to sign an 8 year, $4m per year deal and would be willing to trade him to Long Island for their 1st rounder... Snow would of course jump on the deal. It would be a good mistake, but my prank calling will have failed.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:18 am

~ a woman GM, god save the Queen.
GM would talk with the coaches about power play and stress how much GM loves him some shots on goal.
Save colby's nose, pens would have enough to split Sid and Evgeni. I was surprised & shocked at the players GM Shero brought in last year so, I'll wait and see. One thing, he will get is Sergei back.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 am

bhaw wrote:Not sure what I'd do during the season yet, but on June 30th, I announce that Malkin is available for trade. While all the other GMs are busy calling my cell phone about Geno, I start plucking the UFA forwards I like at reasonable prices since they aren't getting calls from other GMs (they are all calling my cell phone). Hold press conference saying that Malkin was never available.

I'm sure I'd also have to make some sort of deal to lower the cap figure... but I will figure that out at the trade deadline this year.

Hahahahahaha.

This wins.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby bhaw on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:24 am

Ok, here is what I think I would try to do:

Whitney to Dal for Loui Eriksson and a 3rd. They need a puck moving dman with Zubov always injured and his UFA status coming up. Sheds salary on Pittsburgh's side plus a top 6 young winger.

Dupuis + TB 3rd to Phi for Knuble. Not sure if they would go for it being in the division. Might have to do some kind of 3 team deal to make it happen.

Prospect or pick to TB for Steve Downie. Why? B/c it would piss off Flyer fans. Downie hasn't tried to kill anyone this year. I hate Downie, but it would be funny.

Work on extensions for Sykora and Gonchar. Sykora said he wants to stay per Thomas' translated interview. Try to get Gonchar to extend 2 more years at $4M-ish but up to $5M. Sykora approx $3M.

Is the Avs are in the playoff hunt, Garon to Colorado for a pick.

I don't know what I'd do with Toronto yet, but some sort of deal there if Burke does indeed like Bissonette.

Eriksson - Crosby - Cooke
Knuble - Malkin - Sykora
Fedotenko - Staal - TK
Godard - WBS dude - Downie/Bissonette/Jeffrey etc etc etc

Chew on that one :D
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Indyman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:47 am

Not sure what I'd do during the season yet, but on June 30th, I announce that Malkin is available for trade. While all the other GMs are busy calling my cell phone about Geno, I start plucking the UFA forwards I like at reasonable prices since they aren't getting calls from other GMs (they are all calling my cell phone). Hold press conference saying that Malkin was never available.

I think if I was GM, I'd float Geno and Bing out there, just to see what other teams would offer (not for intentions of actually trading)....remember the Lindros deal..?

Peter Forsberg
Ron Hextall
Chris Simon
Mike Ricci
Kerry Huffman
Steve Duchesne
1st round selection in '93 (Jocelyn Thibault) - traded in deal for Patrick Roy
1st round selection in '94 (Nolan Baumgartner)- eventually traded to Washington
FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS AS WELL!!

And the offer that was nixed from the Rangers:
Doug Weight
Tony Amonte
Alexei Kovalev
John Vanbiesbrouck
1st round selection in '93 (Niklas Sundstrom)
1st round selection in '94 (Dan Cloutier)
1st round selection in '95 (they actually didn't have one that year)
AND TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS

If the Canadians are pissing themselves over Lecavalier - imagine what they would offer for Crosby... :shock:

:pop:
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:18 pm

As an aside...I love AOE...but it is HARDLY the ultimate real time strategy game. Good games though.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Noise wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I'd retool completely.

I'd trade Gogo, Staal, Dupuis and a 2nd round pick to LA for Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson.
I'd trade Satan and a pick (or find some way) to aquire Jordin Tootoo from Nashville.
I'd trade Boucher for a 4th rounder.

I'd hire Ted Nolan to take over the team immediately.

I'd roll into the 2nd half of the season with;

Kennedy/Minard - Crosby - Brown
Fedotenko/Kennedy - Malkin - Sykora
Tootoo - Jeffrey - Cooke
Biz/Wallace - Talbot - Godard

Johnson - Whitney
Orpik - Letang
Gill - Scuderi

Or something along those lines. It's the best I could come up with on such short notice. You get the idea.

Somehow I don't think LA would do that trade.

Why is that? Is it the fact that Brown is their captain, the fact that he is a 30 goal scorer with a ~3 million dollar cap hit, or is it the fact that the 2 players they'd be giving up are overall better than the 3 the pens would be giving up?

No, I think it's because the guys who make jerseys in LA can't spell and thus names like Brown and Johnson make their jobs easier.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Antonio wrote:As an aside...I love AOE...but it is HARDLY the ultimate real time strategy game. Good games though.

Yeah CoH is the ultimate. :thumb:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sams_Dog on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm

psurh22 wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:PG Headline: "RAY SHERO FIRED BY LEMIEUX/SAWYER, SAMS_DOG NAMED NEW GM"

Eaton/Boucher and Fedotenko to Atlanta for Armstrong
Dupuis to NY Islanders for Brendan Witt (they're dumb enough)

You would probably be immediately fired. Colby Armstrong is not worth more than Ruslan Fedotenko, at least in terms of trade value. Maybe to this fan base's psyche and affection, yes, but if we're trading Ruslan plus a veteran NHL defenseman, we're going to more than just Colby Armstrong back. Brendan Witt is a pylon. He's old, slow and generally useless, especially on a team like the Penguins that requires fast, puck moving defensemen to feed our young crop of forwards. The Islanders would pull the trigger immediately and then laugh about it for days if that trade were offered to them.

Eaton for Armstrong
Boucher for Kovalchuk
Dupuis for Witt
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:06 pm

psurh22 wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:PG Headline: "RAY SHERO FIRED BY LEMIEUX/SAWYER, SAMS_DOG NAMED NEW GM"

You would probably be immediately fired. Colby Armstrong is not worth more than Ruslan Fedotenko, at least in terms of trade value. Maybe to this fan base's psyche and affection, yes, but if we're trading Ruslan plus a veteran NHL defenseman, we're going to more than just Colby Armstrong back. Brendan Witt is a pylon. He's old, slow and generally useless, especially on a team like the Penguins that requires fast, puck moving defensemen to feed our young crop of forwards. The Islanders would pull the trigger immediately and then laugh about it for days if that trade were offered to them.

Your post is wrong on so many levels.

Armstrong has more goals than Fedotenko, who has been playing with Malkin or Crosby the whole season.
Brendan Witt would be arguably the second best defenseman on this team if he was here right now.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Armstrong has more goals than Fedotenko, who has been playing with Malkin or Crosby the whole season.

Somehow I missed that apparently. Must've been a figment of my imagination all those games Fedotenko spent on the third line or scratched, and his time out with injury.

Look, I liked Armstrong when he was here but his value as a player is vastly overrated by a lot of Penguins fans.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:18 pm

i wanna play this game too :D -- well If I am GM of Pens i would do this moves :
Fire Yeo,get someone new.. MT stays put for this season,if we dont make playoffs,he is gone...
Re-sign Sykora for 2 years -3 mills per year, Scuderi 3 years - 1.7 p/y, Goligoski 3 years - 1.6 p/y, Fedotenko 1 year - 2.5 p/y
Trade J.Staal to Panthers for Horton, Trade Satan & Eaton to Avs for C.Stewart , Boucher for pick, Dupuis for pick..
When all healthy go with :
Cooke/TK - Crosby - Horton
Fedo - Malkin - Sykora
Cooke/TK - Talbot - Stewart
Bizzo - Jeffrey - Thomas/Godard
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Scuderi
Gill - Letang/Gogo
MAF, Garon
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:26 pm

If I were named GM, I would cash my first paycheck in one dollar bills and take a bath in them.

I was all with this until i seen the bath tub part, i was thinking Mckees Rock strip clubs i would still want some larger bills for the champange room. And if i was the Pens GM i would think i might be able to get one of thoes ladies to go home with me. Then i would marry that girl have a kid get divorced and remian bitter at women for the rest fo my life. Or maybe i would try to swing a deal of Staal and Whitney for Horton and Jbo... <<jbo would have to rework a new contract with us befor the deal gets approved.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I would never eat ramen noodles again.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

jimjom wrote:I would never eat ramen noodles again.

Do you really think that's the right move for the future of this team?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby psurh22 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:36 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Your post is wrong on so many levels.

Armstrong has more goals than Fedotenko, who has been playing with Malkin or Crosby the whole season.
Brendan Witt would be arguably the second best defenseman on this team if he was here right now.

He has 2 more goals in 9 more games, and he's playing on one of the top two lines in ATL most of the season. Fedotenko has not been playing with Malkin or Crosby the whole season, and has spent a considerable amount without one of those two. Colby had one half of a good year, and that was after the Pens were out of the playoffs and not playing in meaningful games.

Further, Brendan Witt is not better than Orpik, Whitney, Letang, Scuderi, or Goligoski. Eaton is IMO a better player than Witt as well. Boucher offers way more offensively and with the puck than Witt ever could. Witt is a goon. He's slow and constantly gets burned every time the Pens play the Isles. I'm not a huge fan of plus/minus as a stat because numbers can be deceiving, but Witt is a -27 this season. There's nothing deceiving about -8 worse than the next guy on your team.

EDIT: Used team's games played, not Witt's. (making him -27 in 35 games)
psurh22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby beerman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:39 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
psurh22 wrote:

Your post is wrong on so many levels.

Armstrong has played in 10 more games and only has 2 more. If you take out his last 10 so he and Fedo have the same number of games then Fedo has more and as wallflower said he wasn't with Geno and Sid the whole year either. We know what Colby can do here and it's nothing more than Fedo can do so why would they trade Fedo and a defenseman for Colby?

In 54 games Colby had 24 points here last year, compared to Fedo's 21 in 39 games this year, I liked Colby when he was here but I'd take Fedo any day.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
jimjom wrote:I would never eat ramen noodles again.

Do you really think that's the right move for the future of this team?

Maybe we would force the pens to eat ramen noodles. Then they would still be hungry. Then they would realize they need to play hungry to win more games and go to the playoffs and win and stuff.

It's kinda like Rocky III when Apollo takes rocky and the crew to his old gym in Los Angeles with all the black dudes.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:25 pm

To the people that asked about my ramen strategy, I believe this is the right move because I will be rich.

I had ramen for lunch today and I am 31, there's really no excuse for that.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins