Anyone been to a game in New Jersey? Or going this friday?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Anyone been to a game in New Jersey? Or going this friday?

Postby czwalga on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:02 am

Well i'm going to the game tonight, then tomorrow morning i'm headed for NYC for the weekend to visit some old college friends. We're going to the Pens/Devils game in Newark. (I convienently planned the weekend to go out there when I could catch an extra pens game. :wink:)

Anyway, if any of you have ever been there what are the odds i survive the night wearing a pens jersey? I normally refuse to wear a coat over my jacket outside but i'm not so sure this time. I've been to buffalo, ottawa, columbus, and washington; never really felt like I was going to die, but I hear newark is a great place!!! :roll:
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Anyone been to a game in New Jersey? Or going this friday?

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:06 am

It's New Jersey. Do they even care for their hockey team over there?
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 am

Why So Serious? wrote:It's New Jersey. Do they even care for their hockey team over there?

Good point. You guys may outnumber the Devils fans in attendance.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensrock68 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 am

I was at a Pens-Devils game before they moved to Newark. Devils fans are generally mild and I do not think you will have any trouble. And like bringit said, you'll probably outnumber the Devils fans anyway.
pensrock68

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am

you are more likely to get mugged in Newark then you are to get any type of BS for wearing a Pens jersey to the game. I have been to many a devils games and there fans don't get on people to much for wearing other teams jerseys, maybe just some playful banter here and there and even then its not good. Devils fans can't think of anything more creative then the pens suck.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 am

Devils fans seem to be more concerned with getting the next snack than the next goal, so you'll be fine.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I went to the game last time they were in New Jersey 12/26

you won't have a problem wearing a Pens jersey, in fact there are about as many Pens fans as there are NJ fans and I went on a Friday night where it was actually pretty busy, just beware that the Parking situation is a mess, they park you four deep as in if the people in front of you dont leave before you do, then you're screwed.

The arena is actually really nice but you're right it is in Newark, but you shouldn't have a problem at all
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:54 pm

It's not at all like MSG or the Wachovia in terms of getting abused. The arena is very nice, and the food there is pretty darn good. Go to the "Taste of Newark" stand on the 2nd level for some good local stuff that you wouldn't expect at a Hockey game.

You shouldn't have any problems, especially if you are just going from the Newark Penn Station the few blocks to the Pru Center.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 pm

The 14 Devils fans that will be in attendance shouldn't pose a threat to you.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ToonBroon on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 pm

I normally go by myself wearing a Pens jersey and have had no problems at Pru Center (even sitting in with the season ticket holders). Like the people above said the occasional unimaginative banter but nothing vicious.

TB
ToonBroon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Are people really seriously scared for their lives just because they're wearing the away team's jersey?

What a sad world we live in.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby czwalga on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Zach6668 wrote:Are people really seriously scared for their lives just because they're wearing the away team's jersey?

Not soo much in the arena. Newark was more the point i was going for. Sounds like it won't be bad at all

And yes, if I wore a pens jersey to philly i'd legitamently be scared. There is a reason that Veterans stadium has a Jail and Court house IN the stadium.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:44 pm

czwalga wrote:
Zach6668 wrote:Are people really seriously scared for their lives just because they're wearing the away team's jersey?

Not soo much in the arena. Newark was more the point i was going for. Sounds like it won't be bad at all

And yes, if I wore a pens jersey to philly i'd legitamently be scared. There is a reason that Veterans stadium has a Jail and Court house IN the stadium.

That area of Newark is not bad because of the Train Station, the arena, the performing arts center, so its a fairly decent area. Newark overall is not so hot
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby scals37 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:12 pm

i was supposed to go to this game, im still trying to come up with 115 bucks to fly there with my bud (he got the tix for his b-day) but moneys so tight right now....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 am

darkstar57 wrote:you are more likely to get mugged in Newark then you are to get any type of BS for wearing a Pens jersey to the game. I have been to many a devils games and there fans don't get on people to much for wearing other teams jerseys, maybe just some playful banter here and there and even then its not good. Devils fans can't think of anything more creative then the pens suck.

I told you to watch your wallet.

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 pm

You'll be fine...and I'm pretty sure you're way smarter than them...I've been to countless Devils games, always in the away team's jersey...people are more mystified about seeing a Panthers Jay Bouwmeester jersey or a Thrashers Ilya Kovalchuk jersey in Newark than they are angry about it...by the time they realize what I'm wearing, I've already walked by them...

One time I got boo'ed for wearing a Kings jersey, but that was probably because it was purple more than anything...

And yeah, you're more likely to get stabbed in Newark than come across a hockey discussion...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 pm

JS© wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:you are more likely to get mugged in Newark then you are to get any type of BS for wearing a Pens jersey to the game. I have been to many a devils games and there fans don't get on people to much for wearing other teams jerseys, maybe just some playful banter here and there and even then its not good. Devils fans can't think of anything more creative then the pens suck.

I told you to watch your wallet.

WIN
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Been to many Pens-Devils games over the years and rarely had a problem. The new arena is great but like someone else posted, parking is tough. I would recommend the train or PATH depending on where your coming from then walking from Penn Station.

As for the city, the arena is in center city, there is nothing to worry about.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Been to many Pens-Devils games over the years and rarely had a problem. The new arena is great but like someone else posted, parking is tough. I would recommend the train or PATH depending on where your coming from then walking from Penn Station.

We plan on taking the train from manhattan; we may be a little inebriated anyway. :D
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 pm

czwalga wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:Been to many Pens-Devils games over the years and rarely had a problem. The new arena is great but like someone else posted, parking is tough. I would recommend the train or PATH depending on where your coming from then walking from Penn Station.

We plan on taking the train from manhattan; we may be a little inebriated anyway. :D

No other way to ride the PATH. :lol:
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins