Sergei Kostitsyn chimes in on Sid

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sergei Kostitsyn chimes in on Sid

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The question was "overhyped", not "overrated".

exactly, he never said he was overRATED, he said he was overHYPED. Saying that the media should focus on Malkin, AO, Savard, Boyle, Chara etc. other guys that are having great seasons.
It must be a little annoying for some players to play with guys like Chara and Boyle who are Norris candidates and always be asked "so what do you think about Crosby?".
My answer to that would be "who cares, he isnt my teammate, ask me about someone on my team, unless we are playing him tonight, then i might have a different answer"
I love Sid, but other players must be getting sick of it a little bit. Would be like asking Jagr, or Stevens back in the day, so what about Gretzky, isnt he the greatest?

Yeah, but he also said:

"But Semin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin are more technically skilled."

And even though Sid is one of the most technically skilled players on the planet, he may be right. Hockey is about more skills than just technical, though.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 pm

purelebo84 wrote:The most overhyped player in the NHL is on his team.

Price.

He plays on the most over-hyped team in the league. They Have the Stanley Cup as a dream this season and are no where near good enough to win it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:08 pm

I understand that people could put OV and Malkin ahead of Sid as far as an overall player. But Semin? Come on. He had a hot start to this season, and that is it. Kostitsyn is clearly speaking with a bias.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:08 pm

Funny thing is, I don't even know who Sergei Kostitsyn plays for.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tksmr2 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Sid still seems to be trying to find his game, and what works. Right now he is not mentally sharp, with horrid decision making, looking to pass 99.9% of the time, and definetly making sure other teams know he is trying to pass. There is little or no threat of him driving to the net, faking a pass, then taking a shot. He just keys in on players to pass to, and teams are finally starting to adjust to that so much that he is getting shut down. He needs to atleast mix it up a little to get the respect from other teams. Right now, they are proabably laughing behind closed doors at how predictable Sid has been. Actually, he seems to revert into these types of habits throughout this career.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:14 pm

As long as Sid continues to play to his level and stays with the Pens, I will love him no matter what anyone else says.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:29 pm

where's HOSSA on Sergei's technically sound list?

:pop:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Sergei has a lusty eight goals and twelve assists this year, remember.

Lusty?

Note to self: when Miro Satan and Mark Recchi have more points than you: Shut up. what can you possibly know about hockey...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 pm

npv708 wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Sergei has a lusty eight goals and twelve assists this year, remember.

Lusty?

Note to self: when Miro Satan and Mark Recchi have more points than you: Shut up. what can you possibly know about hockey...

By that logic, Kostitsyn is in the NHL. We are not. Kostitsyn knows more than us then.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Bathgate on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:43 pm

tksmr2 wrote:Sid still seems to be trying to find his game, and what works. Right now he is not mentally sharp, with horrid decision making, looking to pass 99.9% of the time, and definetly making sure other teams know he is trying to pass. There is little or no threat of him driving to the net, faking a pass, then taking a shot. He just keys in on players to pass to, and teams are finally starting to adjust to that so much that he is getting shut down. He needs to atleast mix it up a little to get the respect from other teams. Right now, they are proabably laughing behind closed doors at how predictable Sid has been. Actually, he seems to revert into these types of habits throughout this career.

Amen! Right on! Agree totally. And not only are players on the opposing teams probably laughing at Sid's predictability, but his teamates must surely be chuckling/grumbling behind his back at his ridiculous overpassing. Thus, it's probably hurting team morale. Sid would get more goals AND assists if he would shoot a lot more; i.e. there would be more rebound and scramble goals off his shots. It's downright sad how far off he is from where we expected him to be two years after dominating with brilliant and smart play at age 19.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm

By the way, when is Sid going to start calling out these jabronis like tiger woods does? Tiger is the most PC guy on the planet in interviews, but he will not pull punches when some scrub like stephen ames or Rory sabbatini criticizes his play.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Indyman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Whats with the Russians bagging on Sid? Sheesh - who cares what they say.

Ask these same questions to North Americans - probably be a lot different answers

Again - Sid can't win......the NHL tried to make him the next Gretzky (because the league needed one) - Sid didn't ask for that - its a responsibility he most likely doesn't want - but he handles it much better than anyone else in the league ever could. I'll take Sid over Ovechkin the Ass-Clown anyday.

Sid's best days are ahead of him.....
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
npv708 wrote:

By that logic, Kostitsyn is in the NHL. We are not. Kostitsyn knows more than us then.

:D :pop:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:55 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:By the way, when is Sid going to start calling out these jabronis like tiger woods does? Tiger is the most PC guy on the planet in interviews, but he will not pull punches when some scrub like stephen ames or Rory sabbatini criticizes his play.

Stephen Ames a scrub? Why, you... :twisted:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

By that logic, Kostitsyn is in the NHL. We are not. Kostitsyn knows more than us then

Don't be so sure.

There's a reason I've been absent a lot during recent GDT's.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:08 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
By that logic, Kostitsyn is in the NHL. We are not. Kostitsyn knows more than us then

Don't be so sure.

I'm serious. Going by his logic, then what do we know? Kostitsyn must obvious know more since he's scored more goals/points than us in the NHL.

I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Canadians like North American style players better for the most part.

Russians definitely like the Euros/Russians better than the North Americans IMO. Most Euros/Russians talk about one guy in North America when modeling their game after: Mario Lemieux.

I think it can be argued this year that the game of Ovechkin/Malkin is better than Sid's. Some people can make the argument that based off of his play/PPG that Semin is having a better year. I don't agree with Kovalchuk however.

Sid's on pace for 29 goals, 75 assists for 104 points this year. Subpar for him. One of the biggest telling points about his stats is that he only has 3 PP goals this year (5th on the team). Gogo has more PP goals than him and he has 1 more than Staal. He had 16 and 13 in his previous full seasons.

I'm not bashing Sid but he's not playing as well as he did in previous years. Regardless of him having 60 points, he's making turnovers with blind passes and not shooting the puck when he has the opportunity to.

If someone wants to say Ovechkin/Malkin, and perhaps even Semin are playing better this year, then I don't see what the big deal is. Again, the problem is, the NHL overhyped Sid up to be Gretzky. He can't win.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby npv708 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:09 pm

who in the world said i was trying to use logic?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Kostitsyn lives in his own alternate state of reality. Ovie and Geno are arguably better than Sid. Bringing Semin, a little girl that misses weeks or months of games due to menstrual cramps, into the conversation impeaches Kostitsyn's credibility.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Draftnik wrote:Kostitsyn lives in his own alternate state of reality. Ovie and Geno are arguably better than Sid. Bringing Semin, a little girl that misses weeks or months of games due to menstrual cramps, into the conversation impeaches Kostitsyn's credibility.

i think the word, "much" does it. it's a pretty tough sell to say that ANYONE is "much" better than a recent scoring title/hart trophy/would-be conn smythe winner.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:23 pm

I think Zetterberg and Datsyuk are more "technically skilled" than the Big 3 when it comes to having a complete, overall game. They probably don't mind flying under the radar of the hockey media either.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:26 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Funny thing is, I don't even know who Sergei Kostitsyn plays for.

You're not a hockey fan?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Indyman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm

I think Zetterberg and Datsyuk are more "technically skilled" than the Big 3 when it comes to having a complete, overall game. They probably don't mind flying under the radar of the hockey media either.

a big ditto for Malkin

The NHL's over-hyping of Crosby is a cross he's going to have to bare for the rest of his career...if the rest of the players and fans are sick of him now...wait til he wins a cup.... :shock:
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IronDukes37 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Indyman wrote:Whats with the Russians bagging on Sid? Sheesh - who cares what they say.

Ask these same questions to North Americans - probably be a lot different answers

Again - Sid can't win......the NHL tried to make him the next Gretzky (because the league needed one) - Sid didn't ask for that - its a responsibility he most likely doesn't want - but he handles it much better than anyone else in the league ever could. I'll take Sid over Ovechkin the Ass-Clown anyday.

Sid's best days are ahead of him.....

Yeah, no North Americans disslike Sid :D

And about Kovalev, Malkin, Ovy and Semin being better technically I might just agree. They're also all better shooters.

Talk playmaking though and only Malkin's in Sid's league among those guys. Talk intensity or lower body strength it's just Ovy, and so on...

Edit: IronDukes37, yeah, they're from Belarus.
Last edited by André on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:

Don't be so sure.

I'm serious. Going by his logic, then what do we know? Kostitsyn must obvious know more since he's scored more goals/points than us in the NHL.

I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Canadians like North American style players better for the most part.

Russians definitely like the Euros/Russians better than the North Americans IMO. Most Euros/Russians talk about one guy in North America when modeling their game after: Mario Lemieux.

I think it can be argued this year that the game of Ovechkin/Malkin is better than Sid's. Some people can make the argument that based off of his play/PPG that Semin is having a better year. I don't agree with Kovalchuk however.

Sid's on pace for 29 goals, 75 assists for 104 points this year. Subpar for him. One of the biggest telling points about his stats is that he only has 3 PP goals this year (5th on the team). Gogo has more PP goals than him and he has 1 more than Staal. He had 16 and 13 in his previous full seasons.

I'm not bashing Sid but he's not playing as well as he did in previous years. Regardless of him having 60 points, he's making turnovers with blind passes and not shooting the puck when he has the opportunity to.

If someone wants to say Ovechkin/Malkin, and perhaps even Semin are playing better this year, then I don't see what the big deal is. Again, the problem is, the NHL overhyped Sid up to be Gretzky. He can't win.

As an NHL player, Sergei leads a busy life and probably has little time to focus on the rest of the league and actually evaluate players.

I just wonder how he can be so quick to judge Crosby, because when Crosby's playing, Sergei's usually on a different rink playing his own game.

The only time Sergei saw Sid up close this season, he burned his team for a nice goal and an assist.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins