Malkin - Crosby vs Zetterberg

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin - Crosby vs Zetterberg

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 pm

According to ESPN zetterberg is going to sign a deal for 12 years at close to 72 mil a year. That will come to a little over 6 a year. Which is a better home town discount, Malkin and Crosby at 8.7 mil a piece or Zetterberg for 6 mil.Zetterberg is 28.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3865527
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Malkin - Crosby vs Zetterberg

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Crosby and Malkin are younger and better than Zetterberg.

Zetterberg is a really good player, and Crosby and Malkin are superstars.

You have to pay up sometimes.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Well, Zetterberg at 6 Million at age 37-40 might not be the best bargain. But for now its a great deal for the Wings. I bet Hossa will take a HUGE discount to play with the Wings as well.

I guess Crosby scared away Hossa? :wink:

Its like Malkin signing for 17 years at 7 million I guss :)
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Crosby and Malkin are much better then Datysuk and Zetterberg...I would have liked to see Sid sign a much longer deal though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 pm

I was just going to say, that is a good discount. But as good as Zberg is, he's not worth 8.7 million.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm

This is not an easy question to answer. Has the structure of the deal been released? The present value of Zetterberg's deal is probably worth more than a typical 08/09 $6M per season deal since the structure of the payments to Zetterberg is probably very front loaded IMO. Comparing the 1st 5 years of his deal to Crosby's/Malkin's $8.7M (theirs are a bit frontloaded as well) is a more appropriate comparison IMO. Also, the odds are overwhelming the Pens bought appreciating, prime years with Crosby and Malkin. The odds are that Zetterberg's level of play will decline over the next 5 years, but how much?

Also, DET is taking a risk because the NHL CBA will certainly expire before the end of Zetterberg's deal. Will DET be able to wipe away the last several years of his deal without Cap implications when Zetterberg retires under the next CBA or two? Only time will tell.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Franzen is set to be a UFA. He is making under a mil now, he's the kind of guy we need to fill Malone's void. I wonder how much it would cost to sign him?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 pm

How many points would Zetterberg put up f he was to play with Dupuis and Fedetenko?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 pm

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to a contract extension with forward Henrik Zetterberg worth slightly more than $72 million over 12 years.

How much is slightly more? 500 000? 30 000?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Lesky wrote:How many points would Zetterberg put up f he was to play with Dupuis and Fedetenko?

Great players make the players they play with better right?

Regarding Crosby's linemates...Talk to Shero about that one :wink: :thumb:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 pm

I think the deal is a good one, but it is hard to compare.

Zetteberg is 28 and will be towards the end of the prime of his career. The Red Wings will be paying for a product that will be declining in the next year or 2.

The Pens are paying players that are 21 and 22 and will be entering their primes and appreciating during their contracts.

It's a heck of a deal though.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Indyman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm

How many points would Zetterberg put up f he was to play with Dupuis and Fedetenko?

There's your slightly more that 72 million dollar question
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stevo on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Lets keep in mind that the cap might stay where its at if not go down due to the economy. RS signed Geno and Sid when the economy was in perceived better straits. Zetterberg isn't doing that big of a favor as much of being a victim of a crumbling economy. I would like to be a six million a year victim. HA! My financial life SUCKS!
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sina220 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:15 pm

Draftnik wrote:This is not an easy question to answer. Has the structure of the deal been released? The present value of Zetterberg's deal is probably worth more than a typical 08/09 $6M per season deal since the structure of the payments to Zetterberg is probably very front loaded IMO. Comparing the 1st 5 years of his deal to Crosby's/Malkin's $8.7M (theirs are a bit frontloaded as well) is a more appropriate comparison IMO. Also, the odds are overwhelming the Pens bought appreciating, prime years with Crosby and Malkin. The odds are that Zetterberg's level of play will decline over the next 5 years, but how much?

Also, DET is taking a risk because the NHL CBA will certainly expire before the end of Zetterberg's deal. Will DET be able to wipe away the last several years of his deal without Cap implications when Zetterberg retires under the next CBA or two? Only time will tell.

TSN mentions in their article that he will be paid 7.4 mil next season and only 3 mil, 1 mil, and 1 mil, respectively in the last 3 years of the deal. I wonder what the payment is in the year before he gets only 3 mil because Martin Erat had a contract rejected because of this...

"Erat's contract was rejected because it violates what is known as the ''100 per cent rule,'' which effectively states there cannot be a reduction of the total compensation from any given year over a three-year period by more than 100 per cent.

In other words, Erat was scheduled to earn $6 million in 2011-12, which means that over the next three year period his annual compensation could not be less than $3 million. But in the final year of the contract, 2014-15, Erat's salary was pegged at $2.5 million"

Technically doesn't that mean that the final 3 years of Zettys contract would make it invalid? 1 mil represents over a 100% decrease from 3 mil.
sina220
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: "I believe in GOD, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E." ~ F.L. Wright

Postby Mike99 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:17 pm

I really think the Red Wings are going to resign Franzen, so there going to have to let Hossa walk. I think the we could see the Canucks letting the Sedins walk and we could see the Canucks signing both Hossa and Gaborik. With Sundin's 1 year deal and most likely retiring they would have the cap room. Im saying this guess the cap wont go down that much.
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I think the we could see the Canucks letting the Sedins walk and we could see the Canucks signing both Hossa and Gaborik.

Hossa has a taste for the playoffs after playing in Atlanta. Why would he want to go to the Canucks?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mike99 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:37 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
I think the we could see the Canucks letting the Sedins walk and we could see the Canucks signing both Hossa and Gaborik.

Hossa has a taste for the playoffs after playing in Atlanta. Why would he want to go to the Canucks?

Well he "supposedly" almost signed with the Oilers for big money, why would he went to go there? I still think Hossa will end up in Boston or Vancouver on July 1st.
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Mike99 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Well he "supposedly" almost signed with the Oilers for big money, why would he went to go there? I still think Hossa will end up in Boston or Vancouver on July 1st.

Hossa + Boston = Me needing to change my underwear
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Boston seems a lot more likely than Vancouver.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spiritfan on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 pm

hossa to the oilers according to .... http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mike99 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 pm

spiritfan wrote:hossa to the oilers according to .... http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

hahaha that site made me laugh. "tired of eklund and his sources" :D
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Boston seems a lot more likely than Vancouver.

Hardly......Boston, unlike Vancouver, has a lot more players locked up, and very little cap space to play with next offseason.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm

spiritfan wrote:hossa to the oilers according to .... http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

Thanks for the link. I subscribed to it and unsubscribed from the real one.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:03 pm

That's an excellent deal for him right now, not good towards the end, but that's the trade-off made to get re-signed in Detroit and make it work for the team. There is a giant discount given towards the end in return for length, so much so that the NHL is probably going to reject it.

It's difficult to really measure how good he and Datsyuk are because they get the "well, his teammates are great," the same argument made about Gretzky. As of right at this moment in time, I'd say he's a more complete player than AO, Malkin or Sid. He also won the Conn Smythe award for being the best player in the SC playoffs and he sure was too. His two-way game is second to no one else. By the middle of his deal, the Big 3 should have clearly surpassed him. Right now though, he looked pretty damn dominant against Sid-Hossa(Datsuyk's line had trouble with them) in the SC finals and Malkin was a non-factor. AO? Hitting the nightclubs by then.

People can look at the potential and flashiness of AO-Sid-Malkin, but right now Zetterberg is likely better. His two-way game is miles ahead of Malkin or AO, he's as fast a skater as Sid, and his playmaking skills are close with both Crosby and Malkin. Scoring? He proved it in the SC when everything was on the line. Now, the Big 3 will put more fans into seats than Zetterberg will, which drops his max salary potential some.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:14 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Boston seems a lot more likely than Vancouver.

Boston is heading for cap-hell this off-season. They have Tim Thomas and Fernandez both as UFA and Kessel and Krecji are both RFA and those two guys could really draw interest on the market if the B's cannot get them under contract first. The next year with Savard as UFA and Lucic RFA is probably going to factor into their decision-making too. I don't see the B's being involved at all with any UFAs like Hossa-Gaborik-Franzen that will cost big bucks.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins