Malkin - Crosby vs Zetterberg

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin - Crosby vs Zetterberg

Postby Samsdog on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:22 pm

brwi wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Boston seems a lot more likely than Vancouver.

Boston is heading for cap-hell this off-season. They have Tim Thomas and Fernandez both as UFA and Kessel and Krecji are both RFA and those two guys could really draw interest on the market if the B's cannot get them under contract first. The next year with Savard as UFA and Lucic RFA is probably going to factor into their decision-making too. I don't see the B's being involved at all with any UFAs like Hossa-Gaborik-Franzen that will cost big bucks.

Brad

Agreed. The Hossa to Boston ship sailed this offseason; even when Fernandez walks that cap space is going to evaporate into Kessel and Krejci's pockets, and they won't want to tie themselves into anything too much for any length of time because of Savard and Lucic. Even if they let Savard go they'd have trouble letting Hossa in, and with the way Savard has played this year that's totally out of the question for them. Judging where Hossa is going to go this offseason is difficult given that Gaborik is also on the market, but my money is on him staying in Detroit-he loves it, they love it, he's tired of losing, and it's hard to predict from year-to-year what team that doesn't have it's nose pressed up against the cap is going to be the surprise emergent force. It'll take quite a bit of wheeling and dealing, but that's my thought. There's just no good teams out there with the cap space to accommodate him.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby toby91_ca on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:35 pm

sina220 wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
Technically doesn't that mean that the final 3 years of Zettys contract would make it invalid? 1 mil represents over a 100% decrease from 3 mil.

Not sure how you get over 100% here. First of all, it's impossible to get "over" 100% drop in one year. A drop from $3 million to $1 million in one year = a drop of 66.7% (drop of $2 million/starting point of $3 million). But I think you have the rule wrong anyway. Here is the rule:

Article 50.7: The difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the first two League Years of an SPC cannot exceed the amount of the lower of the two League Years. Thereafter, in all subsequent League Years of the SPC, (i) any increase in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed the amount of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, that same amount); and (ii) any decrease in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed 50 percent of the Player Salary and Bonuses of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, 50 percent of the same amount).

So, the following contract would be okay: $7, $7, $7, $7, $6, $3, $1, $1. The largest dropoff from one year to the next is $3 million, which is less than 50% of the lowest of the first 2 years.

The following contract would be invalid: $7, $7, $7, $7, $7, $3, $1, $1. The drop off of $4 million in year 6 is greater than 50%. (i.e. greater than 50% of $7 = $3.5)
toby91_ca
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks for that, toby91. Much better illustration than the rule section alone.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins