Bold Prediction: Crosby will win 2009 Scoring Title

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bold Prediction: Crosby will win 2009 Scoring Title

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Evgeni Malkin is one of the greatest hockey players I have ever seen. I respect him, and I recognize that this team would be nowhere without him. Down the stretch, he will score many points and help the Pens reach (and hopefully go far) in this year's playoffs.

But Sid will score more points.

Tonight, with a bad knee, he torched the world's best goaltender, and moved within seven points of taking over the lead in the NHL scoring race. This move on the powerplay, by putting him in a position where he can hit the open man from all angles, will give him an edge there as well. Geno and Sid will be close in the end, but Sid will come out on top, if healthy. Write it down.

And the Kostitsyns, Roenicks, and Semins of the world will have a whole lot of crow to eat.
Last edited by RxBandit66 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Bold Prediction: Crosby will win 2009 Scoring Title

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 pm

FYI, they took an assist away from Malkin and gave it to Crosby. Malkin's currently up 71 to 64 on Crosby.

I don't care which one of them wins it, as long as one of them does, but it would be nice to see Crosby do it just to shut up everybody who is suddenly doubting him and piling on him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Henry Hank wrote:FYI, they took an assist away from Malkin and gave it to Crosby. Malkin's currently up 71 to 64 on Crosby.

I don't care which one of them wins it, as long as one of them does, but it would be nice to see Crosby do it just to shut up everybody who is suddenly doubting him and piling on him.

It would help greatly if Letang and Dupuis keep playing like they did tonight.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:59 pm

If Crosby hangs in there health wise, he probably will win it...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:00 am

He is the best player in the world.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 am

Sooooo bold.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 am

RxBandit66 wrote:And the Kostitsyns, Roenicks, and Semins of the world will have a whole lot of crow to eat.

Completely agree with you here. First off, and call me an idiot, but when I first read Kostitsyn's quote, I couldn't even name the team he played for. And I consider myself an avid hockey follower. Shows you how popular he is. As for Roenick, he was just trying to salvage whatever media attention he could. Semin was a product of the "My picture/name is on top of the NHL.com Scoring Leaders list" and then eventually he fell off. I bet if you'd interview Semin today he'd say something much different.

Point being, these three hockey players are either A.) Not well known enough for anyone to care, B.) Over the hill, and about to retire (with alcohol problems), C.) Trying to make their name riding the coattails of a fellow superstar (i.e. Ovechkin).

I guarantee once Semin leaves the Capitals we will never here from him again. Not too say that he isn't talented, oh no. I'm sure he will do fine, but I doubt we will see his name in the lights, ever.

As for whether or not Sid will finish with more points than Evgeni, I have to disagree. In Evgeni I see more natural talent. In Sid I see more of a work-ethic, and more of a drive to win. This may be my Canadian bias, as I am from Toronto, but this is the main difference I see between the two. Don't get me wrong, Sid is extremely talented, but at this point I think Malkin as a more natural, gifted talent than Crosby. Just my .02, feel free to disagree. I think the scoring race will be close, and I don't think Malkin or Crosby cares who wins, as long as the TEAM is winning games. Good stuff.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the riddler on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 am

It's hard to know who will win the scoring title. Crosby will win if he puts up 4 points a night obviously. Malkin has been more consistent overall offensively this season, and he's had a steady 10 point lead for awhile now, so I don't see why that would change.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:05 am

DocEmrick wrote:I guarantee once Semin leaves the Capitals we will never here from him again. Not too say that he isn't talented, oh no. I'm sure he will do fine, but I doubt we will see his name in the lights, ever.

You need to watch more Capitals games. Semin is a very, very fine hockey player.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 am

columbia wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:I guarantee once Semin leaves the Capitals we will never here from him again. Not too say that he isn't talented, oh no. I'm sure he will do fine, but I doubt we will see his name in the lights, ever.

You need to watch more Capitals games. Semin is a very, very fine hockey player.

And if Comcast would do something about Center Ice, I may have a chance. I am not doubting Semin's talent as a hockey player at all. In fact, I think he is very gifted. As for being on par with the "elite" of the league, I don't think this will ever happen. Semin will not be an elite name in the NHL. He will always be a great player, but never up on par with Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, (dare I name-drop) Hossa, Heatley. Which is why I think he had no right to say what he did about Crosby in the first place, and why I think it was more of a power-trip (i.e. my name is on NHL.com).
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 am

I think it'd be pretty hillarious. For some reason, though, I want to see Malkin win it. I don't care too much though, as long as one of them wins it.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 am

I hope that Crosby wins it and then all the morons that are high on Malkin switch back to Crosby and then Malkin wins it next year and so on. People that feel like one of them has to be better should take a golf club to their face.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 am

DocEmrick wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:And the Kostitsyns, Roenicks, and Semins of the world will have a whole lot of crow to eat.

Completely agree with you here. First off, and call me an idiot, but when I first read Kostitsyn's quote, I couldn't even name the team he played for. And I consider myself an avid hockey follower. Shows you how popular he is. As for Roenick, he was just trying to salvage whatever media attention he could. Semin was a product of the "My picture/name is on top of the NHL.com Scoring Leaders list" and then eventually he fell off. I bet if you'd interview Semin today he'd say something much different.

Point being, these three hockey players are either A.) Not well known enough for anyone to care, B.) Over the hill, and about to retire (with alcohol problems), C.) Trying to make their name riding the coattails of a fellow superstar (i.e. Ovechkin).

I guarantee once Semin leaves the Capitals we will never here from him again. Not too say that he isn't talented, oh no. I'm sure he will do fine, but I doubt we will see his name in the lights, ever.

As for whether or not Sid will finish with more points than Evgeni, I have to disagree. In Evgeni I see more natural talent. In Sid I see more of a work-ethic, and more of a drive to win. This may be my Canadian bias, as I am from Toronto, but this is the main difference I see between the two. Don't get me wrong, Sid is extremely talented, but at this point I think Malkin as a more natural, gifted talent than Crosby. Just my .02, feel free to disagree. I think the scoring race will be close, and I don't think Malkin or Crosby cares who wins, as long as the TEAM is winning games. Good stuff.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. The difference is that Crosby can have four assists on a night where nobody hardly notices him. Lemieux and Francis (especially Francis) were like that. Jagr, like Malkin, was more dynamic on the ice, but when healthy, Lemieux would always trump him in total points.

Also I agree that Roenick is a washed-up suckhole loser. Maybe all that BOTOX from his wife is starting to creep into his skin and ****** his thought process. Well, old JR was never the most intelligent person....or the best passer....or the best goal scorer....or the best teammate. So why are people talking about him? Because like you said, the *****bag just does whatever he can to get his name in the press these days. At this point, he is a hockey player in name only. He hasn't been good for fifteen years.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 am

I'm not concerned about scoring titles. I just want Russians to keep opening their mouths about Crosby because it seems to work well for us. :)

I think Pittsburgh media needs to go out there and throw some dumb softball questions to Russian players and get some good quotes going.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby psurh22 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 am

DocEmrick wrote:Completely agree with you here. First off, and call me an idiot, but when I first read Kostitsyn's quote, I couldn't even name the team he played for. And I consider myself an avid hockey follower. Shows you how popular he is. As for Roenick, he was just trying to salvage whatever media attention he could. Semin was a product of the "My picture/name is on top of the NHL.com Scoring Leaders list" and then eventually he fell off. I bet if you'd interview Semin today he'd say something much different.

You're an idiot. :D I'm completely kidding, but you invited it so I figured I'd give you what you asked for. The Kostitsyn brothers are actually fairly well known around the league, but this guy is a long stretch away from being a relevant enough figure in the league that people should care about his opinion of other players in the game.

I think that Semin will be one of the great offensive talents in the game for years to come. He has sick hands and a ridiculous wrist shot. His problem, as Draftnik and others mentioned earlier, is that he has no work ethic, only plays when he is 100% healthy and is generally a very soft defensive player. He spends a majority of his ice time far, far, away from his own net.
psurh22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 am

Oh and even if Sid won another scoring title, people would probably still call him overrated. Meh. It's not like anything he's accomplished by the time he was 21 impressed certain critics so far. So I'm not sure what would in that case.

But anyway, I just want the scoring title winner to be a Penguin. Though I'd like to go to the playoffs first and foremost. :)
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 am

Calling Henrik "The Michelin Man" Lundqvist the world's best goaltender is an insult to goaltenders.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:23 am

LOL.
Lundqvist: Swedish for "Refrigerator Box"
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:31 am

Did you see that goal by Adam Oates on Steroids. I never knew he had it in him.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 am

psurh22 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:Completely agree with you here. First off, and call me an idiot, but when I first read Kostitsyn's quote, I couldn't even name the team he played for. And I consider myself an avid hockey follower. Shows you how popular he is. As for Roenick, he was just trying to salvage whatever media attention he could. Semin was a product of the "My picture/name is on top of the NHL.com Scoring Leaders list" and then eventually he fell off. I bet if you'd interview Semin today he'd say something much different.

You're an idiot. :D I'm completely kidding, but you invited it so I figured I'd give you what you asked for. The Kostitsyn brothers are actually fairly well known around the league, but this guy is a long stretch away from being a relevant enough figure in the league that people should care about his opinion of other players in the game.

Haha, yeah well that actually bothered me. When I read that quote by Kostitsyn, I was upset that I couldn't name the team he was on, since I follow most all teams in the NHL (except for the Islanders). But you're exactly right about him being a relevant figure that people should care about.

I'm sure if a reporter asked Ovechkin's opinion of Crosby, AO would say "He's a great passer, a great center. One of the best in the league." Honestly, it comes down to people trying to make a name for themselves and who can blame them? In a league that markets ONE PLAYER. Such as if I have a job...and my company praises ONE PERSON...and somebody from my company asks me about that person, I'm going to say "Well here's how I do stuff, I think it's more effective. I almost have equal numbers as so and so, blah blah blah..." Though the NHL is trying to get exposure in various markets, everybody blows it out of proportion into a huge deal. The NHL needs as much media as possible to get back on ESPN, or any viable sports market that's NOT VERSUS, imho.

Point-in-case, we're working on that.

As an aside, Semin is a great player, and will be great for years to come, barring serious injury or a return to Russia for a gazillion dollars. On top of that, he will never be as good as our elite.

RxBandit66 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Oh, I don't disagree at all. The difference is that Crosby can have four assists on a night where nobody hardly notices him. Lemieux and Francis (especially Francis) were like that. Jagr, like Malkin, was more dynamic on the ice, but when healthy, Lemieux would always trump him in total points.

Also I agree that Roenick is a washed-up suckhole loser. Maybe all that BOTOX from his wife is starting to creep into his skin and ****** his thought process. Well, old JR was never the most intelligent person....or the best passer....or the best goal scorer....or the best teammate. So why are people talking about him? Because like you said, the *****bag just does whatever he can to get his name in the press these days. At this point, he is a hockey player in name only. He hasn't been good for fifteen years.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Definitely on the same page about Roenick. He lost it PUBLICLY after the lockout, with his comment about the fans, but he had lost his touch (if he had ever even had one) a long time before that. As for his comment about rooting for team Canada, I'd be ashamed to have such a person root for Canada.

As for Malkin / Lemieux comparison, I definitely see a resemblance. I just think, ultimately, that Malkin will surpass Sidney in points. Malkin seems to be a right place and right time player. I attribute that to his natural hockey sense, his natural ability, and his developed skill. Thank god he didn't end up as another Morozov, which I believe a few LGPers predicted :lol: :lol: :lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:36 am

Kovy27 wrote:Did you see that goal by Adam Oates on Steroids. I never knew he had it in him.

The 'roids help get you that power on the backhand! Juicin' FTW.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 am

I can see it coming right down to the end between Sid, Ovy, and Geno. I hope it's really close, because that would be fun to watch.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:38 am

I don't think that it is a bold prediction that the 2nd leading scorer with 30+ games left will win the scoring title. If you said Jordan Staal was going to win it then it would be bold. :lol:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tjand72 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:38 am

meecrofilm wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Did you see that goal by Adam Oates on Steroids. I never knew he had it in him.

The 'roids help get you that power on the backhand! Juicin' FTW.

His stick actually has quite the curve, but the force of his backhand shot straightens it out.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 am

Henry Hank wrote:FYI, they took an assist away from Malkin and gave it to Crosby. Malkin's currently up 71 to 64 on Crosby.

It would be fun to watch them race for the title, but Malkin was a beast all season and Sid had
only a few sparks. Also, confidence-building-wise, it would be useful to have Malkin earn some formal
credentials. I would not mind Sid not winning the scoring race if Malkin wins it.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins