Bold Prediction: Crosby will win 2009 Scoring Title

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bold Prediction: Crosby will win 2009 Scoring Title

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:47 am

A race for the scoring title and playoff positions is EXACTLY what the NHL needs to promote the sport.

The NHL will never take the MLB as the secondary sport of the United States, and that is fine, as most of Americans would rather watch a mindless game where you have to hit a ball - followed by mindless reality TV (no offense to anyone here), but should the Pens continue on this line of winning, and endure hardship, that is pretty much what the NHL needs.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 am

Sid looked good tonight.

I was shocked that he was actually looking shoot first or shoot when you have an opportunity as compared to constantly passing the puck. He looked hungry tonight.

I think his biggest problem he's had this year has been the mental mistakes of constantly passing the puck/turning it over. His effort is definitely there. If Sid keeps playing like this, we'll be a scary team to play.

That said, if Sid keeps playing like this, I'd like to see the twin tower line separated to let both of them have that affect at different times on the ice.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 am

Thats a bold prediction? I'll make another one. Pavel Datsyuk will win the Selke.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats a bold prediction? I'll make another one. Pavel Datsyuk will win the Selke.

no no. jordan selke staal.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:16 am

How's that bold? He's in 2nd place.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 am

Noise wrote:How's that bold? He's in 2nd place.

How about "Semi-Bold Prediction:"

"Somewhat Bold Prediction:"

"Quasi Bold Prediction:"

:lol:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby tksmr2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:59 am

I thought it was going to be another typical Sid like Passing night after that first pass to Dupris in the 1st period when he was covered and sit had all kinds of open ice at center red.. but maybe he was at the end of his shift. After that Sid actually made all the right decisions for a change, he was passing when he should be passing, driving to the net, and shooting when he should have.. I was somewhat shocked. Pray that he keeps playing that way, and I do believe he can challenge, and even win the scoring title. It seems to be all mental with him.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats a bold prediction? I'll make another one. Pavel Datsyuk will win the Selke.

Aw, come on. Miro Satan's got the Selke wrapped up already this season :lol:
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WHITEY1 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:11 am

Might be hard for Sid to pass Malkin because currently they are playing together and most points will probably come off the other persons stick (so it will be a wash). But if they stay 1 and 2 either way I would be happy. GO PENS!!!
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Number Nine on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 am

Well, if they keeping giving "phantom" assists to Crosby like they did last night on Letang's second goal, I could definitly see him winning the scoring title.

I normally defend Sid when people say the NHL gives him "phantom" points, but if you watch the replay Letang takes the puck off of a Ranger player, tips to Malkin who tips it directly back to him, then goes in makes a great move and scores. Sid was atleast 30 ft away that entire sequence.
Number Nine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:25 am

tksmr2 wrote:I thought it was going to be another typical Sid like Passing night after that first pass to Dupris in the 1st period when he was covered and sit had all kinds of open ice at center red.. but maybe he was at the end of his shift. After that Sid actually made all the right decisions for a change, he was passing when he should be passing, driving to the net, and shooting when he should have.. I was somewhat shocked. Pray that he keeps playing that way, and I do believe he can challenge, and even win the scoring title. It seems to be all mental with him.

You're dead on with all of that, and really, Shero was ready to pull the trigger on putting Sid on waivers. Last night's game was indeed a shocker for Sid, and it just may have saved his career in the NHL.......for now.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:57 am

It doesn't matter whose 1 and 2 at the end, as long as Ovechkin is nowhere to be found in the top 2.

Some of me wants Malkin to win because I love the guy and really want people around the NHL to start noticing him moreso than he is now.

Some of me wants Crosby to win because I want the Semins, the Roenicks, and the Kostitsyns of the world to shut the hell up already.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 am

...what a turnaround from has-been; most likely to be traded, & lockeroom dictator...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby czwalga on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I hope that Crosby wins it and then all the morons that are high on Malkin switch back to Crosby and then Malkin wins it next year and so on. People that feel like one of them has to be better should take a golf club to their face.

Right now they are about the same. Malkin has more room to get better than ovy and crosby. We'll see if it happends.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby toby91_ca on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 am

Why So Serious? wrote:Some of me wants Malkin to win because I love the guy and really want people around the NHL to start noticing him moreso than he is now.

Didn't he win the calder a couple years ago? Wasn't he nominated for the Hart and a 1st team allstar last year? I think he's been noticed.
toby91_ca
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 am

Why So Serious? wrote:It doesn't matter whose 1 and 2 at the end, as long as Ovechkin is nowhere to be found in the top 2.

Some of me wants Malkin to win because I love the guy and really want people around the NHL to start noticing him moreso than he is now.

Some of me wants Crosby to win because I want the Semins, the Roenicks, and the Kostitsyns of the world to shut the hell up already.

I'm rooting for Geno, but it's not a big deal either way.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 am

DocEmrick wrote:The NHL will never take the MLB as the secondary sport of the United States, and that is fine, as most of Americans would rather watch a mindless game where you have to hit a ball - followed by mindless reality TV (no offense to anyone here), but should the Pens continue on this line of winning, and endure hardship, that is pretty much what the NHL needs.

I agree tha the NHL needs there young superstars to have strong rivalries to build around and it really creates interest for the game. One of the reasons why the NHL markets the crap out of Crosby is because he speaks perfect english, in the US market that means everything, its one of the reasons why Gretzky was so well received in the US, he was the greatest of all time, but he was able to communicate very well to reporters (a big plus when trying to grow the game) The NHL will gain popularity in the US as more and more superstars are US born. Patrick Kane will do wonders for the game, a young talented kid from Buffalo.

Its not like the NHL couldn't catch the NBA or MLB in terms of sports hierarchy however it would be tough to top baseball for three main reasons

1. Its the National Pasttime (My first sports memory is my dad taking me to a Yankess Stadium to see a game, i paid him back by taking him to the last game at yankee Stadium, i am not a yankees fan though)
2. They play the majority of there season when there is ZERO competition from any of the other major sports. The most exiciting of any sports season is the playoffs and there is right when football season is just really starting so people still have an interest in baseball.
3. Its cheaper to take up baseball then hockey, you just need a glove bat and a ball, all things that can be had for under 50 bucks if you buy cheap.

The NHL does have a chance to catch the NBA but its going to be an uphill battle mainly because of the ummm, "urban" background of the NBA, the NHL does not appeal much to the umm, "urban" crowd as much as basketball does and that is a key demography to tie into. Its not like those "urban" areas are lining up to get the latest Crosby skate, but they are lining up to get the latest Jordans (see where i am going with it) The NBA as more sources to pull revenue in then the NHL does, hence they will have more sponsers.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am

I am for Geno though, its he has played great this year.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Penspal on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 am

How about a tie? Same number of goals and assists for both players. Pretty much everyone wins!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 am

toby91_ca wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:Some of me wants Malkin to win because I love the guy and really want people around the NHL to start noticing him moreso than he is now.

Didn't he win the calder a couple years ago? Wasn't he nominated for the Hart and a 1st team allstar last year? I think he's been noticed.

Malkin, for the most part, has flown under the radar all season long. There are still alot of people still debating between whose better...AO or Sid. And Malkin has just quietly gone about doing his job. He has consistently shown up just about each and every game. He has been arguably the most consistent player in the NHL this season, but it still seems to me that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 am

Steve wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:It doesn't matter whose 1 and 2 at the end, as long as Ovechkin is nowhere to be found in the top 2.

I'm rooting for Geno, but it's not a big deal either way.

I guess I kind of am too...the fact of the matter is that he just deserves it more than any other player in the world right now.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm

I love Gino. But with all the Sid Hatorade being drunk this year by Semin, Kostistyn, Roenick, etc. plus some Pens fans feeling a bit jaded with him, I'd love too see Bing win another title just to shut the detractors up (if only for a little while :lol:). Rooting for a 1-2 either way though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71crush on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Number Nine wrote:Well, if they keeping giving "phantom" assists to Crosby like they did last night on Letang's second goal, I could definitly see him winning the scoring title.

I watched the replay too and dont understand why Sid got the assist. Can Geno argue to get that assist back? Not that he would. It just seemed lame how they gave it to Sid.
71crush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Lost in all the bashing of Sid by other players in the league, is a comment made by Ovie shortly before the All-Star game.

When asked if he could pick any 5 players in the league to create his own All -Star line to play with, Ovie replied: "In goal would be Martin Brodeur from the New Jersey Devils. My defensemen would be Andrei Markov from the Montreal Canadiens and Zdeno Chara from the Boston Bruins. And my forwards would be my teammate Niklas Backstrom from the Washington Capitals and Sidney Crosby from the Pittsburgh Penguins."
http://onfrozenblog.com/2009/01/23/tips-from-ao.html

I think his opinion matters more than all the Roenicks, Semins and Kostitsyns in the world. It's obvious Sid is respected by his actual peers. Roenick, Semin and Kostitsyn certainly aren't his peers...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm

71crush wrote:
Number Nine wrote:Well, if they keeping giving "phantom" assists to Crosby like they did last night on Letang's second goal, I could definitly see him winning the scoring title.

I watched the replay too and dont understand why Sid got the assist. Can Geno argue to get that assist back? Not that he would. It just seemed lame how they gave it to Sid.

Well, Gino got a phantom one on Sid's backhand goal, so it evens out :lol:

They probably figured the guy never had full posession on both cases, and I didn't think Gino touched the puck on the Letang goal. But like I Said, they gave him one right back. Phantom assists all around!
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins