Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Postby cojac on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:54 am

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=264962

Atlanta's Colby Armstrong has attracted interest this season, including from Pittsburgh who would like to see him reunited with Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.

Pittsburgh defenseman Ryan Whitney's name is making the rounds. Pens GM Ray Shero may use Whitney to lure a top line forward for a late-season charge.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Postby icecats30 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 am

Not sure what colby makes, but i thought it was around 2 mil. colby is not a top line winger, and even a top 6 is a stretch. and if there is one thing we have that is an excess of third liners. again. whitney for a top winger is probably the best trade option we have, assuming staal is off the block.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cojac on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 am

icecats30 wrote:Not what colby makes, but i thought it was around 2 mil. colby is not a top line winger, and even a top 6 is a stretch. and if there is one thing we have that is an excess of third liners. again. whitney for a top winger is probably the best trade option we have, assuming staal is off the block.

$1.2m
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby icecats30 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:07 am

thanks for his salary. knowing that now, i still pass. I would much rather save 500k and put that towards top 6 forwards. I think if there is one thing that these injuries have proved, it is that we have tons of depth to fill out the bottom 2 lines. the top 6 is where we are hurting. With staal signing for 4 years, i really believe they are going to approach malkin about becoming Sid's full time winger, leaving staal to center the second line.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 am

cojac wrote:
icecats30 wrote:Not what colby makes, but i thought it was around 2 mil. colby is not a top line winger, and even a top 6 is a stretch. and if there is one thing we have that is an excess of third liners. again. whitney for a top winger is probably the best trade option we have, assuming staal is off the block.

$1.2m

For someone on pace to score 26 or so goals on a terrible Atlanta team, that's actually almost a bargain. Not advocating a trade, just pointing out that it is in fact possible that he's improved from last year.

Cooke and Dups play on the top line, and neither of them will score that many goals this year. Again. just sayin :lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:12 am

Colby has really stepped up his game this year.

Chemistry doesn't stab you in the back, Marian Hossa stabs you in the back.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby icecats30 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 am

npv708 wrote:Chemistry doesn't stab you in the back, Marian Hossa stabs you in the back.

QTW
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 am

I think Dupuis is a better, faster, more consistent version of Colby Armstrong. He's in the past, let's move on. I don't believe the Pens have any interest in him. It's simply an easy story for the talking heads to cook up. He's Crosby's "best friend," the Pens are struggling, so obviously they're missing him badly. Of course, that logic always ignores the fact that the team soared to greater heights after moving him last year. They didn't miss him one bit in the playoffs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 2headedmonster8771 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 am

Nice, another 3rd liner!
EXACTLY what this team needs!
2headedmonster8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:19 am

Henry Hank wrote:I think Dupuis is a better, faster, more consistent version of Colby Armstrong. He's in the past, let's move on. I don't believe the Pens have any interest in him. It's simply an easy story for the talking heads to cook up. He's Crosby's "best friend," the Pens are struggling, so obviously they're missing him badly. Of course, that logic always ignores the fact that the team soared to greater heights after moving him last year. They didn't miss him one bit in the playoffs.

Exactly.

Colby Armstrong = step backwards.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 am

EL. OH. EL.

Not laughing at Colby out of disrespect. Just laughing at the whole thing.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:31 am

npv708 wrote:Colby has really stepped up his game this year.

Chemistry doesn't stab you in the back, Marian Hossa stabs you in the back.

I hereby award you my second Internets of the year. Congratulations!
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:34 am

The cup is coming to Pittsburgh if Colby comes back...

:roll:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:55 am

hey if its whitney for kovalchuk and colby.. now we'z talkin
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:59 am

Bringing him back for 1st or 2nd line duty ----awful move.

Bringing him back for 3rd or 4th line duty would be fine by me. He's a better "hockey player" than Minard, Bizzy, Godard, Thomas, Jeffrey, etc.....You aren't going to dress Godard or Bizzy if/when you make the playoffs so having quality NHL forwards for the bottom 6 roles would be nice.

Colby is making $1.2 mil but the season is 1/2 over.....so you're not required to pay his whole salary at this point. 600k or less for 1/2 a season of Colby doesn't sound all that bad. And with the team having chemistry issues maybe he could help in that regard as well. (insert chemistry joke here).

All in all, it's OK with me, just keep him on line 3 or 4.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I think Dupuis is a better, faster, more consistent version of Colby Armstrong. He's in the past, let's move on. I don't believe the Pens have any interest in him. It's simply an easy story for the talking heads to cook up. He's Crosby's "best friend," the Pens are struggling, so obviously they're missing him badly. Of course, that logic always ignores the fact that the team soared to greater heights after moving him last year. They didn't miss him one bit in the playoffs.

Exactly.

Colby Armstrong = step backwards.

Last year we had GREAT 3rd and 4th liners. This year our 4th liners and depth forwards are AHLers. Enter the playoffs with a mixture of Minard, Bizzy, Godard, Thomas, Jeffrey, etc...getting regular shifts and see how many games you last.

Last year we didnt need Army because we had Hall, Dupuis, Roberts, Ruutu, Laraque. You guys are saying we don't need Army for 3rd/4th line duty this year because we have Bizzy, Godard, Minard, Thomas, and Jeffrey? We have a totally different team this year. Last year in the playoffs Army might have been the worst 4th liner on our team....this year he'd be the best. by a mile.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:07 am

If we traded Whitney, I'd be ecstatic.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:15 am

I'm not surprised.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 am

The positive side about Colby cheese coming back is that he's a good locker room guy. I think we're missing some of that this year.

Not sure what we'd give up for Colby, but it can't be that much.

I will say however, from the games I've seen this year on CI, he's been much better. He's been crashing the net/boards better than anyone on the ATL team.

As far as giving up Whitney for a winger, not sure who that would be for. Shero's not going to do it for a rental.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby The U on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:The positive side about Colby cheese coming back is that he's a good locker room guy. I think we're missing some of that this year.

Not sure what we'd give up for Colby, but it can't be that much.

I will say however, from the games I've seen this year on CI, he's been much better. He's been crashing the net/boards better than anyone on the ATL team.

As far as giving up Whitney for a winger, not sure who that would be for. Shero's not going to do it for a rental.

correct on all counts.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:17 am

Satan for Armstrong :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Doogs on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 am

Colby coming back would be good for many reasons, but anyone that thinks that Whitney would be a part of any deal with Colby as the center piece is on HEAVY meds!!! How about Whit, Satan and they can have Dupuis back (because we'd be getting Colby back) and a pick for Colby and Kovalchuk? Doesn't seem right... sorry it's early.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 am

Jesse wrote:If we traded Whitney, I'd be ecstatic.

There are a couple of posters on here whose comments I value more than most. Jesse is one of them. This comment is a little disheartening, not that I think Whitney is an untouchable. Whitney + forward + pick for Kovachoo and Army? Then again, I don't want Colby Handbreaker back here.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:38 am

i'd definitely take dupuis for armstrong, straight up. sorry, he was still an albatros on that line last night, despite their success. even on the lower lines, he adds nothing. the team didn't miss a beat with him out.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 am

shmenguin wrote:i'd definitely take dupuis for armstrong, straight up. sorry, he was still an albatros on that line last night, despite their success. even on the lower lines, he adds nothing. the team didn't miss a beat with him out.

So you would want Armstrong back on the top line? Thanks, but no thanks.

If Army would come back, which I really don't see a reason he needs to.... he should be a bottom 6 guy, no way is he the answer to our lack of scoring in the top 6. A Dupuis/Army switch on line 1 is lateral at best.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins