Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:

broke his hand because of Armstrong's abnormal chin.

I guess your username suggests everything we need to know about how you feel about Colby.

Actually my name is supposed to be Pensfan2.0 but that is besides the point. I do like Colby and i like him a hell of alot more then Minard, Taffe, Biz, Thomas, Peso, Jeffery, Godard, Satan, should i keep mentioning all the other AHL players that have been called up too?
If you think that colby would not be better on this team then the above mentioned come the playoffs then ok, thats your opinion. Last year we made it without him blah blah blah.. yes i know this, but we had other players that were great in the lockerroom which we dont have now. We lost ALOT of chemistry on this team and it shows. I dont see what the problem would be bringing in Colby for the right price/package.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:43 pm

I wonder if Armstrong is one of those players that puts up good numbers as one of the key guys on a bad team. As Pens fans we should be familiar with this phenomenon from the dark days of the early part of this decade. I don't watch the Thrashers enough (thank goodness) to know if Colby is getting to play on the top line there. From my experience, there is a psychological difference between knowing that you are one of the guys being counted on to produce for your team (as Armstrong might be in Atlanta) or you are a more or less interchangeable 2nd/3rd winger that can be easily replaced (as Armstrong was last season for the Pens). Some people respond well to being counted on to produce, but tend to lose focus when treated as just another interchangeable piece.

That was the biggest problem with Armstrong last season if I remember correctly. He would have a pretty good game with some physical play and maybe a goal and then disappear for 4 or 5 games. Maybe he felt (consciously or otherwise) that that sort of inconsistent focus was OK in Pittsburgh because others would pick up the slack and that he wasn't really one of the core guys that they were counting on.

In conclusion, I wouldn't mind having Armstrong back (for a modest price), but I am skeptical of the belief that he turned the corner this season and has become a consistent, focused, productive player for good.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:11 pm

This is the only sports-related message board I have seen where a significant chunk of the threads are about re-acquiring some player that was traded away (Colby, Jagr, Kovy, Morozov, Straka, etc.). It must be some kind of Pittsburgh phenomena. I also wonder if if there are a high amount of real-life stalkers here because some just cannot let go of the past.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm

brwi wrote:This is the only sports-related message board I have seen where a significant chunk of the threads are about re-acquiring some player that was traded away (Colby, Jagr, Kovy, Morozov, Straka, etc.). It must be some kind of Pittsburgh phenomena. I also wonder if if there are a high amount of real-life stalkers here because some just cannot let go of the past.

Brad

Jagr, Kovy, Straka...I can understand. But Armstrong? Don't get me wrong, he's a decent NHL player. But I don't understand, from what he has shown as a Pen (and in Atlanta, ty Center Ice) why anyone would think it's a good idea to give up an something valuable to re-acquire him. This is a guy who needed to be prodded and poked to put forth a consistent effort as a Pen.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:16 am

pensfan20 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:

broke his hand because of Armstrong's abnormal chin.

I guess your username suggests everything we need to know about how you feel about Colby.

Actually my name is supposed to be Pensfan2.0 but that is besides the point. I do like Colby and i like him a hell of alot more then Minard, Taffe, Biz, Thomas, Peso, Jeffery, Godard, Satan, should i keep mentioning all the other AHL players that have been called up too?
If you think that colby would not be better on this team then the above mentioned come the playoffs then ok, thats your opinion. Last year we made it without him blah blah blah.. yes i know this, but we had other players that were great in the lockerroom which we dont have now. We lost ALOT of chemistry on this team and it shows. I dont see what the problem would be bringing in Colby for the right price/package.

Unless you're a Pens player or coach, you haven't the slightest clue what goes on in that locker room. Did you ever stop to think that may be the team just isn't as talented as everyone thinks? Maybe, just maybe, not all the losses this team has is because of problems in the locker room.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guido on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 am

npv708 wrote:Colby has really stepped up his game this year.

Chemistry doesn't stab you in the back, Marian Hossa stabs you in the back.

That is great.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mosby on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 am

Rather get Vernon Fiddler or Scott Nichol from Nashville (both are UFAs at the end of the year). They are cheaper moneywise and would take less resources to acquire. Fiddler and Nichol are good in the face-off circle and better on the PK than Colby.

I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder. The Armstrong I remembered, skated like he had his feet chained together, had very inconsistent physical play, didn't stick up for teammates and fought only for himself.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Whitney and Satan for Kovalchuk and Armstrong

There is NO WAY that Atlanta takes that trade. It is crazy to have even have that statement on the internet for others to look at.

That was basically the point...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins