Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens interested in Colby Armstrong

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm

What i like most about bringing back Colby is the presence he has on the ice. By this i mean to have someone on the ice that will stick up for his linemates. If Sid goes into the corner and gets punched in the back of the head, who is sticking up for him?
Some may say "sid can do it himself" but that isnt what we need him to do. Is Satan, Dupuis, Cooke or any Dman going to go in and stick up for him? NO.
Gino has Fedex that stands up for him or "has his back" and even Sykora to an extent will go into a pile up and pull someone off of Gino.
But Sid currently has no one to stand up for him. We all know Colby would. Malone would (but he isnt coming back). So if having someone like Colby on Sid's wing, gives Sid that little extra peace of mind that he can try and split the D or drive the net and know that if after the whistle if someone takes a swing at him that he will have someone step in and put an end to it, Im all for it.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

pensfan20 wrote:What i like most about bringing back Colby is the presence he has on the ice. By this i mean to have someone on the ice that will stick up for his linemates. If Sid goes into the corner and gets punched in the back of the head, who is sticking up for him?
Some may say "sid can do it himself" but that isnt what we need him to do. Is Satan, Dupuis, Cooke or any Dman going to go in and stick up for him? NO.
Gino has Fedex that stands up for him or "has his back" and even Sykora to an extent will go into a pile up and pull someone off of Gino.
But Sid currently has no one to stand up for him. We all know Colby would. Malone would (but he isnt coming back). So if having someone like Colby on Sid's wing, gives Sid that little extra peace of mind that he can try and split the D or drive the net and know that if after the whistle if someone takes a swing at him that he will have someone step in and put an end to it, Im all for it.

Actually, I think Matt Cooke would be more than willing to stick up for Sid. He knows his job and role when playing on the first line with 87. And Cookie is no push-over...he is a much much better player for the first line than Armstrong is/ever will be.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarge on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
The problem with comparing Sid/Malkin to Zetterberg on the hometown discount is that Zetterberg isn't in his early 20's. He's 29 and this was going to be his last big deal probably. If he were to take a deal for 6 or 7 years till he was 35, he would be past his prime. It all works out for him anyways. Also, on the backend of the deal, if Zetterberg retires early, they have cap savings.

For Sid/Malkin to do something like this, they would have had to sign 20 year deals, and even then it wouldn't maximize what they're going to make. These guys have two more deals for big money in them at least.

I would take a fajita burrito from Chipotle for Satan.

I agree with most of that. The retirement--> cap savings is why you see these "lifetime" deals. I also realize that players decline and have limited chances to both sign long term deals and really cash in. I feel like Zetterberg, if he were a UFA, would likely get offers around $9M - for 6-7 years. I really wasn't saying that the Zetterberg is a better guy or anything. Just saying, it's debatable.
Sarge
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Whitney and Satan for Kovalchuk and Armstrong

There is NO WAY that Atlanta takes that trade. It is crazy to have even have that statement on the internet for others to look at.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:13 pm

I'd take him back at a low price.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:13 pm

The title of the thread should be prefaced with allegedly. Dregger has been absolutely wrong with his recent alleged insider Pens info like MT's imminent firing and Adam Hall's return. Shero also could have reconfigured the Hossa trade if he really wanted to keep Armstrong as part of the Pens core. It isn't as if Armstrong were some kind of mega asset Atlanta had to have in the Hossa trade. The Pens need 3rd line players that work hard every shift, not guys MT has to bench for a few games because of their indifferent, listless play.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:What i like most about bringing back Colby is the presence he has on the ice. By this i mean to have someone on the ice that will stick up for his linemates. If Sid goes into the corner and gets punched in the back of the head, who is sticking up for him?

Actually, I think Matt Cooke would be more than willing to stick up for Sid. He knows his job and role when playing on the first line with 87. And Cookie is no push-over...he is a much much better player for the first line than Armstrong is/ever will be.

Matt is a gritty guy but he's no fighter.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 pm

The only time I remember Armstrong struggling was early last year when the entire team was struggling. The fact is that he and Crosby know how to play together. He is still pretty young and there is a lot of room for improvement. He would also automatically be the best bottom 6 forward outside of Talbot and Kennedy on this team full of AHL talent. Remember how awesome our bottom 6 were last year? That is a huge part of what is missing this year.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Elivenspire on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm

I wouldnt mind seeing Colby back in town. Atlanta would probably want something like Minard or Jeffrey for him, probably a real late pick as well. Colby seems like he's gotten his mean streak back (he lost it for a long while after the Leftkowski (sp?) concussion), and has turned back into that player we saw his rookie year.
Elivenspire
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby usahockeyteam1980 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:33 pm

I think that Colby coming back would be a good thing, if the price was right. It seems like we lost of lot of locker room guys this past offseason and I think that has led to some of our problems. If Colby came back, that might help, and it's also someone that knows the system and would work well with everyone. He could definitely be plugged in on the first line when necessary. We need solid depth, and he definitely provides that.
And, as a huge Colby fan, I would love to see him back here. I've wanted to see him back here since the minute he was traded.
usahockeyteam1980
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:

Armstrong has basically twice as many goals as Cooke does at this point in the season, and playing with who?

The guy is 26, with only a few full seasons under his belt. It's not that hard to grasp that he may in fact have made improvements in his game since last season--As most forwards do as they play in the league longer.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:59 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Armstrong has basically twice as many goals as Cooke does at this point in the season, and playing with who?

The guy is 26, with only a few full seasons under his belt. It's not that hard to grasp that he may in fact have made improvements in his game since last season--As most forwards do as they play in the league longer.

Cooke has played how man games on Sid's wing? Now compare that to how many Colby has played on a top line in ATL.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:

Cooke has played how man games on Sid's wing? Now compare that to how many Colby has played on a top line in ATL.[/quote]
Colby started on the third line, worked his way onto the 2nd line. Then for a while played on the top line as a LEFT WINGER. He has never played left wing. That lasted a couple games then went back to 2nd line RW. He just started getting PP time as well as his usual spot on the PK.
The main difference is cooke has gotten into one fight in the last couple years, and got smoked. He is a great guy to have and i love him on this team. He is what, 2nd on the team in hits. But he doesnt have that connection with Sid or Geno to stand up for them.
This team does not have chemistry. the guys are not a group like they used to be. Getting Colby for the right price would be great. Plus, he wont demand a raise come this summer. He will resign for 1.2 - 1.5 for 2 or 3 years. Especially if its here in the burgh.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Colby doesn't even play on the top line.

Here's the point I'm trying to make.

"Hey, how about Player X? He's right-handed, plays wing, can PK, and is 26, so he's steadily improving. He's also on pace for a 27 goal season while playing on a team with the worst depth at center in the league. And he wears an 'A'"

Now, would anyone here pass on the aforementioned player? (Add in for bonus that said player is basically best friends with Crosby).

Like I've said before, I'm not saying "OMG TRADE FOR COLBYY!" However, it's really short-sighted not to recognize the strides he's made this year in shoring up his game.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:40 pm

meow wrote:I wouldn't trade a single Penguin on the NHL roster for him at this point. His role has been filled and surpassed by Fedotenko. Anyone who says otherwise has a man-crush on Colby and needs to take the wool off their eyes.

Exactly. Armstrong had found his way into the MT doghouse for half-ass play last year and it's more than obvious that the Pens didn't need someone of Colby's skill-set one iota during the playoffs. There is nothing that he brings that others don't already, and usually for less $$$.

Armstrong is doing pretty well in Atlanta and maybe he needed a change of scenery to get going. Maybe being uncomfortable was what was necessary for him to up his game some.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Draftnik wrote:The title of the thread should be prefaced with allegedly. Dregger has been absolutely wrong with his recent alleged insider Pens info like MT's imminent firing and Adam Hall's return. Shero also could have reconfigured the Hossa trade if he really wanted to keep Armstrong as part of the Pens core. It isn't as if Armstrong were some kind of mega asset Atlanta had to have in the Hossa trade. The Pens need 3rd line players that work hard every shift, not guys MT has to bench for a few games because of their indifferent, listless play.

I've always wondered if Colby being part of the trade came from Waddell or RS. Armstrong had flamed-out as a scorer in Pittsburgh and then stopped grinding and hustling. He apparently didn't like MT and MT obviously had higher expectations than what Armstrong was delivering. Sounds like a guy to move elsewhere.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby westside on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Matt is a gritty guy but he's no fighter.

To my knowledge, Cooke never got knocked silly by Fedko ;)
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 pm

[/quote]

Actually, I think Matt Cooke would be more than willing to stick up for Sid. He knows his job and role when playing on the first line with 87. And Cookie is no push-over...he is a much much better player for the first line than Armstrong is/ever will be.[/quote]

Matt is a gritty guy but he's no fighter.[/quote]

To my knowledge, Cooke never got knocked silly by Fedko ;)[/quote]

To my knowledge, neither did Colby. I remember Colby breaking Fedko's hand. Colby went to the box and right back out on the ice after his penalty.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:04 pm

pensfan20 wrote:

To my knowledge, neither did Colby. I remember Colby breaking Fedko's hand. Colby went to the box and right back out on the ice after his penalty.

Seriously? Did you even watch that fight?

Armstrong got absolutely rocked by Fedotenko. One punch knocked him to the ice. And FYI, Fedotenko broke his hand because of Armstrong's abnormal chin.

I guess your username suggests everything we need to know about how you feel about Colby.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:

Armstrong got absolutely rocked by Fedotenko. One punch knocked him to the ice. And FYI, Fedotenko broke his hand because of Armstrong's abnormal chin.

I guess your username suggests everything we need to know about how you feel about Colby.

You can't say the fact that Fed broke his hand on Colby's face means Colby won.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:

You can't say the fact that Fed broke his hand on Colby's face means Colby won.

I'm not. I'm saying Fedo won the fight and won it with authority. Not even close.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
I'm not. I'm saying Fedo won the fight and won it with authority. Not even close.

Not you. I quoted you because you cleaned up the other quote :P
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Not you. I quoted you because you cleaned up the other quote :P

Oh ok. Haha.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 pm

I like the 3rd & 4th liners we have more than Colby. I don't see any good reason to bring him back.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The U on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 pm

I like the 3rd & 4th liners we have more than Colby. I don't see any good reason to bring him back.

In the playoffs you don't use fighters....so you like Thomas, Minard, Bizzy, Godard, Pesonen, and Jeffrey more than Colby? If I have one spot to fill on my 4th line for a playoff run I'm picking Armstrong out of that group....

I love Bizzy and Godard but they won't see the ice come playoff time. I'd rather have NHLers than AHLers on my roster in the playoffs.

Last year our 4th line was a combo of: Ruutu, Laraque, Hall, Roberts. This year you want to enter the playoffs with Bizzy, Godard, Thomas? Yikes.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins