Penguins to win Division and take third seed.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins to win Division and take third seed.

Postby PENGUINS UK on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 am

As the chips have looked so down recently. A few injuries, a bad run, heads drop inside and outside the camp.

Pretty discoplined game last night. A resiliant performance by the team. I believe with 5 games seperating us from first in our division we will make this up and some to nick the division for the second year in a row.

Still missing Fedotenko and Gonchar, plus a trade or two that should help the team.
PENGUINS UK
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Penguins to win Division and take third seed.

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 am

If they play as well as they did last night and beat the teams ahead of them...it is a very good possibility. As long as we are not 8. I don't want the 8 spot.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am

Though I dont think we will make up enough to win the division, I am hoping that last night was the spark to finally wake up "THE SLEEPING GIANT" team we all know they can be.
Now as fans and as I posted before, we all need to show up and really show them that we are not fairwether fans since we lost a few games (depressing I am seeing commercials to get your tickets now for pens games during the game).
Hopefully a winning streak will also make it so we can pick up that extra piece of the puzzle and make another stretch to the CUP.
PENS IN THE CUP FINALS AND STEELERS IN THE SUPERBOWL WOULD BE EMOTIONALLY DRAINING FOR ALL IN THE BURGH. IMAGINE THE BEER SALES, WE CAN FIX THE ECONAMY ON OUR OWN.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:33 am

I am very excited about the way they played last night. Didn't we all know that they had that in them? On the other hand we have seen that game 2 times before the All-Star break. We were all here saying this was the one that will be the turn!!! Let's just hope that they do infact make that true, and not lose a 2-1 clunker to the Devils on Friday.

I hate beign gloom and doom, even more than being fooled into thinking they righted the ship 3X!!!
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 am

I think the only way for the pens to win the division is to move crosby to staals wing.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:06 am

Richard Park wrote:i swear some of you people type up posts right before the game, one for if the pens win and one if they lose. If the pens win its " they are going to win the division, mt is awesome" if they lose its "lets just throw in the towel and try to get a good draft pick(even though shero trades every pick or "prospect" we have) or FIRE THERRIEN he's the reason why we lose"

LOL, agreed, this board is totally bipolar. The Pens waver somewhere between contending in the East and not making the playoffs depending on what the score is. :lol:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:30 am

I don't think they looked that good last night. If it wasn't for a few bounces in that game we would have lost. We ended up with 6 goals because the rangers pressed at the end trying to catch up.

Now I am very glad to see that we are getting those bounces and we were able to capitalize on those mistakes by the Rangers. 2 weeks ago this wouldn't have happened, so that shows good improvement. If we can keep on capitalizing on mistakes and start getting the trash goals we will make the playoffs and maybe even challenge for the division.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am

quote="WHITEY1"]
PENS IN THE CUP FINALS AND STEELERS IN THE SUPERBOWL WOULD BE EMOTIONALLY DRAINING FOR ALL IN THE BURGH. IMAGINE THE BEER SALES, WE CAN FIX THE ECONAMY ON OUR OWN.[/quote]

I actually thought this was Obama's stimulus plan for getting the economy back on track!!!

Looking back at the last games, we have won 4 of 6 and have really looked good for long stretches of games. The capitals game we looked good for the first 30 minutes and then things feel apart. The Carolina game I thought everyone checked out after the first and where already figuring out how to get to the airport for their break-vacation plans (Even with that Fleury gave us a chance to win the game)

The thing that really impressed me about last nights game against the Rags was after an not so great second period, they came out in the third and worked hard and basically but their foot down on the ranger’s throat.. Staal got a fluke goal (just goes to show you what can happen by throwing the back in front of the net) and the team just took off from there. How many games this year has this team sat back in the third period with a lead only to see the lead slip away. Its good to see that killer instinct back and I hope its here to stay
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby KG on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am

They may not have enough time to win the division, but when they are at the top of their game, they are the best team in the division...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PENGUINS UK on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 am

It is true the first two goals were lucky. However if you put the puck on the net strange things will happen. If you watch lots of hockey you will see that most goals are scrappy. The quality has gone since the keepers equipment just keeps getting bigger. Therefore it is nice for us to get two garbage goals, in order to do this we put the puck on net and lets things happen. This hopefully is a direction the team is going to go. If put the puck on net then things will happen. Hopefully we average 30 shots a game from here to the end of the season. That being said, not 18 in the third period trying to get back in a game.
PENGUINS UK
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am

littlemoonboot wrote:
Richard Park wrote:i swear some of you people type up posts right before the game, one for if the pens win and one if they lose. If the pens win its " they are going to win the division, mt is awesome" if they lose its "lets just throw in the towel and try to get a good draft pick(even though shero trades every pick or "prospect" we have) or FIRE THERRIEN he's the reason why we lose"

LOL, agreed, this board is totally bipolar. The Pens waver somewhere between contending in the East and not making the playoffs depending on what the score is. :lol:

I love this place after a good Pens win. The bridges empty out, bandwagon is full... :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

Being 6 games behind with 33 games left is going to be pretty tough to catch up. I doubt that will happen unless we go on an amazing run and the Devils, Rangers, and Flyers crap the bed.

Don't forget, the Pens looked amazing against the Rangers only to lose to the Hurricanes the next game.

I do think we will make the playoffs at around the 6-7 seed, and then anything can happen from there. I just don't want to play the Bruins in the first round. Outside of that, anything can happen if the team is healthy.

We are now approaching 200 man games lost to injury this season. I thought I heard last night in the next few games, we will set a Penguins record for most man games lost in one season. To compare that, the Rangers have only had 10 man games lost to injury this season.

That is a huge handicap.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

littlemoonboot wrote:

Yeah, the board is bipolar. :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stevo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am

ffemtreed wrote:I don't think they looked that good last night. If it wasn't for a few bounces in that game we would have lost. We ended up with 6 goals because the rangers pressed at the end trying to catch up.

Now I am very glad to see that we are getting those bounces and we were able to capitalize on those mistakes by the Rangers. 2 weeks ago this wouldn't have happened, so that shows good improvement. If we can keep on capitalizing on mistakes and start getting the trash goals we will make the playoffs and maybe even challenge for the division.

Yeah but isn't that what was missing from those two months of losing. I never saw a team be so snake bitten when it comes to getting a few bounces a game. I've been watching and playing hockey for almost twenty years and the bounces thing is real and it matters. It's actually kinda bizarre.

On a side note, I'm really starting to like Minard, he could be sykora 2.0
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 am

Win the division? What kool-aid are you drinking?

Let's get a firm grip on a playoff berth first. They would have to go on some kind of tear to get the division let alone how the other teams play. New Jersey would be the biggest competition and they aren't looking like a team to fall over anytime soon.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:36 am

Amazing what a good win does to this board... Baby steps, people! Baby steps...
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 am

wondermoose wrote:Amazing what a good win does to this board... Baby steps, people! Baby steps...

best quote from the captain:
"Now we move on," Crosby said. "The next one is the most important one for us. It's gonna be like that all the way down the stretch here. We did a good job here (Wednesday night), but it just gets tougher."

If a defenseman can be counted on for a few goals; that is gold.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:19 pm

The response in the 3rd period was impressive last night. The Pens played like they knew 2 regulation points was the only acceptable outcome. As others said though the commitment needs to morph into a multi-game winning streak. MAF looked good again and seems to be finding his 07/08 late season groove. Crosby was flying as well.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:18 pm

5 games? 11 points = 6 wins, plus New Jersey has a game in hand. 7 Games behind first place in the division.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:28 pm

It's amazing what a 4-2 run does for the bandwagoners. Last week we are in the Taveres sweepstakes. This week we're winning the division. A win Friday and we can book the parade.

I'm sticking with my prediction from about a month ago. 2nd in the East. Odds are it won't happen, they'll probably end up around 5th if they keep playing consistent hockey. They'll need a nice long streak to win the division, but I've always felt that it's possible with the players they have. The Rags had their run early, Philly came next, and recently the Devils. Hopefully they start to tail off and the Pens can go on a run themselves. More then anything right now the team is confident. Obviously it's a huge difference when all the guys are playing with confidence as opposed to just 1 or 2.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:15 pm

newarenanow wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:

Yeah, the board is bipolar. :D

I find it best to create 2 usernames. 1 as koolaider, 1 suicidal. Just makes it easier.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 am

The Debbies are looking tough. They've got a solid team there.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 am

PENGUINS UK wrote:As the chips have looked so down recently. A few injuries, a bad run, heads drop inside and outside the camp.

Pretty discoplined game last night. A resiliant performance by the team. I believe with 5 games seperating us from first in our division we will make this up and some to nick the division for the second year in a row.

Still missing Fedotenko and Gonchar, plus a trade or two that should help the team.

they could add Heatley, Antropov, Spezza, and Chris Pronger tomorrow and still have virtually no chance of winning the division. i'm sure its likely that the devils, rangers, and flyers will tank the rest of their games though. :roll:
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:58 am

littlemoonboot wrote:LOL, agreed, this board is totally bipolar. The Pens waver somewhere between contending in the East and not making the playoffs depending on what the score is. :lol:

I'll take the manic side of the board anyday over the depressed side. At least the manic side is good for some laughs.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins