Pens Vs Rags Grades

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens Vs Rags Grades

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:59 am

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens Vs Rags Grades

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Good stuff...thanks!

Staged Fights: F

When people want to ban fighting, this is what they point to. Godard and Colton Orr went at it right after the opening draw. And what did it prove? Absolutely nothing. I have no problem with fights that result from the play (like if you go after somebody who took a run at a teammate), but this type of fight just makes the NHL look like WWE on ice.

I see where you are coming from but I will say that 5 minutes without Orr on the ice makes for less time he can mess with Sid.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 pm

it wasnt a staged fight considering all the baloney orr was pulling during the last pens/rags matchup.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Agree with Kenny above. I whole-heartedly disagree with the Stage Fight stuff. That fight was simply a carry-over from the last couple Pens/Rangers games where Orr would just take shots at Crosby for no reason. Personally, I loved it...it had to be done.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maagwa on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Defense grade way too generous.
Maagwa

Postby Mang-nang on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Good stuff...thanks!

Staged Fights: F

When people want to ban fighting, this is what they point to. Godard and Colton Orr went at it right after the opening draw. And what did it prove? Absolutely nothing. I have no problem with fights that result from the play (like if you go after somebody who took a run at a teammate), but this type of fight just makes the NHL look like WWE on ice.

I see where you are coming from but I will say that 5 minutes without Orr on the ice makes for less time he can mess with Sid.

Exactly, Godard sent a message with the fight to Orr, and Orr didn't mess with Crosby for the rest of the night (except one clean hit).

And how exactly was it "staged"? It didn't seem like they were trying to beat the crap out of each other for just entertainment's sake. The hate between these two goes a long way back, and Godard finally dropped Orr last night after being handled by him in many of their previous fights.

These are the types of fights that I want to see, that players want to get involved in, and that will be in the NHL as long as fighting is not banned.
Mang-nang
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wallflower on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Maagwa wrote:Defense grade way too generous.

Agreed. Especially stretches during the second period. If not for Fleury, the game could've gone very differently during those twenty minutes.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks Mike

On the phantom assist.............Who sits down looks at the tape and decides the assists? Just asking because I do NOT know. You just mentioned "they" being desperate to get Sid points and I don't know who that is.

Thanks again.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Where's the Bill Thomas love? PK city, good, right-handed faceoff man.. he could stick. It's basically him or Jeffrey at this point, and he's got more NHL experience and is better on the PK.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 pm

It was staged because Orr and Godard don't typically start games on the first line/starting lineup.

It was a carryover. I think it needed to be done, especially carrying over fro the 4-0 loss last month at MSG and the 3-0 Pens win 2 weeks ago when Orr tried to goad Godard into taking an instigator penalty by motioning like he was going to drop the gloves...also, the Sid cheapshots played into this.

I gotta give props to whomever on this board predicted this would happen first shift of the game.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Two things about King Hank, in the 2nd, his acting job on suppose run-in~Tony Award worthy. Second, it was April play-offs all over.

I love seeing Sidney shot the puck, on the 2nd Letang goal, sid's shot on goal led to the feed out to Letang~ that's why shots on goal always a good thing.

Last night shows they have the talent within their room.

Good omen; rangers here before afc championship game, rangers last home game before super bowl.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm

kennedy gets an A also. he was doing a bunch of kennedy stuff last night.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm

I don't think the fight was staged, and I commend MT for sending Godard out there after seeing Renney gave Orr the start

Probably too generous on the defense grade. Hopefully we aren't forced to dress all three of Boucher, Eaton, and Gill too much in the future
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 pm

shmenguin wrote:kennedy gets an A also. he was doing a bunch of kennedy stuff last night.

The MSG announcers called him Thomas Kennedy twice. I thought that was funny
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby jaysmiter on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:49 pm

It wasn't staged. Renney gave Orr the start thinking that Therrien would put out the Malkin line. Therrien wanted to try and nip it in the bud so he put out Godard. Orr finally answered the call. You know if he wouldn't have Gomez or Drury would have been antagonized the entire night.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby pfim on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:Agree with Kenny above. I whole-heartedly disagree with the Stage Fight stuff. That fight was simply a carry-over from the last couple Pens/Rangers games where Orr would just take shots at Crosby for no reason. Personally, I loved it...it had to be done.

And then later in the game Orr basically slew-footed Crosby.

I think this was less "staged" than a lot of other fights, but it did seem kind of lame right off the opening faceoff.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 pm

shmenguin wrote:kennedy gets an A also. he was doing a bunch of kennedy stuff last night.

he was flying everywhere
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 pm

I agree with the others about the defensive grade, I'd probably go a notch lower. Flower bailed them out in the second.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Paekman on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 pm

I've been critical of him this season, but last night was Sid's best game in close to a year in my opinion. He didn't pass up shots, he didn't turn the puck over and he drove the net very well. He also had a lot of hop for the first time in a while.

Bill Thomas has also been quite impressive in the 4th line center/PK role since his call-up. Solid on faceoffs, good positionally and a good PKer. He's pushing guys like Talbot and Dupuis a little bit, which will also help their games.

Rob Scuderi is a solid 5th or 6th defenseman for this club and I do hope that he can be re-signed, but his offensive/transition instincts are terrible. He and Mark Eaton have very poor on-ice vision with the puck on their sticks. They rarely even attempt to find an open teammate. They're all about either dumping the puck in or using the glass too much. Even Gill and Boucher are decent at finding an open teammate in the neutral zone.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:55 pm

MAF gets an A he kept them in the game in the 2nd.

Striped buffon call of the game: Whitney gets a roughing penalty after he gets body slammed by Nasland for daring to put a clean check on him.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:59 pm

I agree, Kennedy played with smarts and good energy. Same with Staal. Even Talbot looked like he had some jump.

I don't fault the pens D. The Rangers showed that they are are good team by the serious pressure they poured on in the 2nd period. But the Pens weathered the storm and pulled out the win.

Malkin had 1 horrendous shift with the three give aways, but otherwise he was decent.

Letang was very impressive. I hope he can build from this game.

I too disagree about the fight. It had to happen or Orr would be intimidating based on his history with the Pens.

Eaton got an assist and was not noticable, which means he had a great game.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 pm

I wouldn't call it a staged fight for the reasons already explained.

Laraque had staged fights - picking out 'the guy' to fight going into the game...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Jordan had a rocky 1st period, but if he can match his level of play in 2nd (PK work) and 3rd ... will be like getting a player in a trade. :)

Mark Eaton, hopefully coming around. But, P Boucher...I don't know.

Will be good to get Brooks back!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:38 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:it wasnt a staged fight considering all the baloney orr was pulling during the last pens/rags matchup.

agreed... orr tried to goad godard into going last game to change the momentum... godard took care of that.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:38 pm

darkstar57 wrote:

The MSG announcers called him Thomas Kennedy twice. I thought that was funny

Least they didn't call him Ted Kennedy. Mark Madden would go ape and probably lose his job again
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins