Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Aquaman48 wrote:
GJ wrote:Scott Hannan has been a surprising disaster since coming over from the Sharks. He may be moved soon. Wolski is big and 22 and an elite at breakaways & shootouts and isn't going anywhere. Goaltending is real shaky. The Avs will be sellers soon except for Wolski, Smyth, and Stastny.

Whitney for Hejuk Isn't going to happen.


Hopefully not. That would be a bad deal for the Pens.
Whitney for Wolski would be sweet, but I'm not sure whether COL would go for that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,850
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
KG wrote:Hejduk wouldn't be my first choice, but come on...Don't compare him to Satan please...

Hejduk is still a first line player who has won a cup. If he could be acquired for "cheap" you do it...hopefully you could move Satan in the trade though...Satan/Hejduk/Sykora Mr. Softy!


I know stats don't tell everything, I repeat, I know stats don't tell everything, but Hejduk has all of four more points than Satan this year. Colorado still has some good players surrounding him. Hejduk's on the level of a Sykora and he's not significantly greater than Satan, especially when you take into consideration that you'd have to give something to get him. There's no reason for Colorado to just give him away. I don't dislike Hejduk, but he's past his prime. What he did with Forsberg years ago is about as relevant as what Satan did years ago in Buffalo. Hejduk is not a significant leap above the wingers they already have. This is simply another case of the grass being greener on the other side.



I am sorry, but Colorado is a train wreck. They have this wierd mix of young and very old that hasn't worked out, their goal keeping and defense stinks, they are a worse club than us.


We have one more win than them.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Aquaman48 wrote:
GJ wrote:Scott Hannan has been a surprising disaster since coming over from the Sharks. He may be moved soon. Wolski is big and 22 and an elite at breakaways & shootouts and isn't going anywhere. Goaltending is real shaky. The Avs will be sellers soon except for Wolski, Smyth, and Stastny.

Whitney for Hejuk Isn't going to happen.


I would do backflips if this happened.

I can't see Colorado doing this. They'd have over $25m tied up in defensemen.

It'd have to be Whitney + pick/prospect for Wolski/Foote or Salei.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby pfim on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Aquaman48 wrote:
GJ wrote:Scott Hannan has been a surprising disaster since coming over from the Sharks. He may be moved soon. Wolski is big and 22 and an elite at breakaways & shootouts and isn't going anywhere. Goaltending is real shaky. The Avs will be sellers soon except for Wolski, Smyth, and Stastny.

Whitney for Hejuk Isn't going to happen.


I would do backflips if this happened.

I can't see Colorado doing this. They'd have over $25m tied up in defensemen.

It'd have to be Whitney + pick/prospect for Wolski/Foote or Salei.


You would do backflips if the Pens traded a 25 year old defenseman under contract for 4 more years for a 30 goal winger with a bum knee and only 1 year left on his deal and has already speculated that he likely will retire after this contract?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 pm

pfim wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
I would do backflips if this happened.

I can't see Colorado doing this. They'd have over $25m tied up in defensemen.

It'd have to be Whitney + pick/prospect for Wolski/Foote or Salei.


You would do backflips if the Pens traded a 25 year old defenseman under contract for 4 more years for a 30 goal winger with a bum knee and only 1 year left on his deal and has already speculated that he likely will retire after this contract?


Wolski has a bum knee? Or are you talking about Hejduk?

I would do backflips if we got Wolski, a 22 year old LW, that has a great shot and can use his body, and is a $2.8m cap hit until he's an RFA in 2010.

So, yes. I would.
Last edited by Bob McKenzie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby pfim on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
pfim wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
I would do backflips if this happened.

I can't see Colorado doing this. They'd have over $25m tied up in defensemen.

It'd have to be Whitney + pick/prospect for Wolski/Foote or Salei.


You would do backflips if the Pens traded a 25 year old defenseman under contract for 4 more years for a 30 goal winger with a bum knee and only 1 year left on his deal and has already speculated that he likely will retire after this contract?


Wolski has a bum knee?


You confused me, you quoted a post that said Whitney for Hejduk.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:37 pm

No big chances to see Wolski here I think,.. i would like to see Stewart here,more chances for that..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,479
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby brwi on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:52 pm

If the Avs become sellers, Wolski is the exact kind of player they won't be trading: young, lots of upside, cheap right now. GM's that trade those kind of players away in the cap-era are likely to be ex-GM's unless they get a fantastic return.

Hedjuk would be the kind of player to be moved as plenty of playoff teams would like to have him and there is a shortage of quality two-way wingers in the NHL. I'm not convinced on Whitney becoming a star in the NHL or playing in his own zone consistently average, but he's still got potential and a great contract so I don't see trading him for Hedjuk straight-up. Gogo + something else not too significant? I'd do it.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Wolski isn't enough for Whitney. Whitney has the upside to be an elite producer on D at a bargain deal for the next four years. Wolski's a nice young player, but he's likely to top out at just being "pretty good." If they move Whitney, it needs to be for a player with a similar kind of upside and a similar contract status.

I also wouldn't move Goligoski for Hejduk. Why throw a valuable asset away on a one year plus stop gap when you can just sign a similar player in free agency? Despite what some want to believe, Hejduk isn't a great winger anymore. He's down to the Sykora tier. I'd be open to them moving Goligoski, but again only for a young player with a similar upside and contract status. If I was dealing Goligoski for a guy only signed for another year, it'd be as part of a deal to get someone truly great like Kovalchuk or St. Louis, not just a pretty good player. Goligoski's and Whitney's value shouldn't be underestimated given what teams have been willing to spend on "offensive defensemen" in free agency. $6.5 million for Redden and $4.5 million for Hainsey show you what a valuable asset that type of player is when average guys are getting those kinds of deals.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby no name on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Unless the pens are going to make deal for a guy who has tleast 3 years left on his contract i say we wait til free agency.

If any team makes a deal with us its a given that they will have to accept Satan in the process, and its not as bog of a deal as you think, The cap hit for the rest fo the season would be around a million for the team picking him up. If they expect to get a solid young player like Staal or WHitney you got to accept this with the deal.

As for the trade deadline... Horton or Bust!!!!
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,942
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby brwi on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Wolski isn't enough for Whitney. Whitney has the upside to be an elite producer on D at a bargain deal for the next four years. Wolski's a nice young player, but he's likely to top out at just being "pretty good." If they move Whitney, it needs to be for a player with a similar kind of upside and a similar contract status.

I also wouldn't move Goligoski for Hejduk. Why throw a valuable asset away on a one year plus stop gap when you can just sign a similar player in free agency? Despite what some want to believe, Hejduk isn't a great winger anymore. He's down to the Sykora tier. I'd be open to them moving Goligoski, but again only for a young player with a similar upside and contract status. If I was dealing Goligoski for a guy only signed for another year, it'd be as part of a deal to get someone truly great like Kovalchuk or St. Louis, not just a pretty good player. Goligoski's and Whitney's value shouldn't be underestimated given what teams have been willing to spend on "offensive defensemen" in free agency. $6.5 million for Redden and $4.5 million for Hainsey show you what a valuable asset that type of player is when average guys are getting those kinds of deals.


I would do a Wolski-Whitney straight up deal in a second. First, it saves money in the short-term. Secondly, Pens don't need offensive dmen and DO need wingers. Wolski is a former first rounder projected to be a top-6 winger and scorer for years. Whitney does have upside potential and he also has the potential to be a 5th/6th dman. He is not a very strong puck carrier and doesn't have that good of a shot from the point, so he is not a logical choice at all to be a PP QB. He's a very good passer, but it's just as likely IMHO that his point totals never exceed what he's already done.

Gogo is weaker defensively(at this point) but has more upside as PP QB than Whitney. He doesn't have very far to go to match Whitney in his own zone. He also could be in some team's doghouse next year because of his D. I'd really think about a Gogo-Hedjuk deal or a Gogo+something for Wolski.

Then again, I also don't see Wolski being available either. :lol:

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajh2298 and 7 guests

e-mail