Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I would think Sykora when thinking about Hejduk.

Yeah, he'd be an upgrade in adding another player of that caliber but, I think this team needs something else.

He'd be an upgrade over Sykora as Hejduk is still one of the better two-way forwards in the league, but just how much can the Pens give up for a guy with only one more year? I think Whitney going to the Avs for Hedjuk + more from the Avs.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 pm

If Hejduk would stay at least 2 more years with Pens after getting him and if he is healthy okey,otherwise no, Especially Whitney or Staal for Hejduk doesnt make sense. I would love to see Chris Stewart in Pens uni,i think he could be next improved Malone.
Stewart for Eaton and Satan,Hejduk for Boucher,Dupuis and pick
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:55 pm

Pens4Life wrote:If Hejduk would stay at least 2 more years with Pens after getting him and if he is healthy okey,otherwise no, Especially Whitney or Staal for Hejduk doesnt make sense. I would love to see Chris Stewart in Pens uni,i think he could be next improved Malone.

First of all, that is really alot for the Penguins to give up, when we're only going to be receiving their second leading scorer and one of their top prospects, don't you think? Maybe we could get them to throw in Stasny and a new Zamboni in addition to those guys - then maybe it would be more equitable.

Second, we already have one Chris Stewart on the team: 8-)

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?servic ... .php_id_69
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Well they might as well cross Tkachuk off...

"It's one of those things I'm not very fond of, seeing guys playing PSP. I know the (NHL) has changed so much, but I see these guys playing PSP, it's the same games that my kids have. I remember the days where guys played cards the whole flight and had a beer. Now it's all protein shakes and PSP games. I'm glad I got an opportunity to play in a different era and now play in this era. It's interesting to see the difference."

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/jay_onrait/?id=264753

He seems like the kind of guy that needs to be on an older team like Detroit or somewhere with a lot of vets. He probably wouldn't mesh well here.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Hejduk is a sniper, who when paired with Crosby would be a potential 40 goal guy. He is so much better than Sykora, who someone compared him to, it isn't even funny. He's no Hossa, but if he's healthy he is not too far behind. He has sick hands and shot - and skates about 1000% better than Sykora ever has. He's also grittier.

That said, he is not going to fetch too much in terms of young assets at the NHL level. If the Avs want to move him, with only one year left on his deal and the public speculation that he will move back home after that deal is done, I can't see anyone giving up anyone with the upside of Staal or Whitney.

The comparison of Sykora to Hejduk is not that far off.

His game has not been the same in the past year and a half.

He had 35 goals 2 years ago.

He had 29 goals last year.

He's on pace for 28 goals this year.

Hejduk can stills score goals, and he is a MUCH better skater than Sykora, who is the equivalent of a tick on Malkin's line and the PP. I like Sykora's goals, but he does very little creating on his own. That's not bad, I just don't see a comparison to the game Hejduk plays (again, when healthy). Folks have also mentioned Satan, which is even farther off.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Oh, and the year before he scored 35 last, he scored 24 in 77 games.

The Hejduk you are thinking of is in 2000 and 2002.

BTW, stats schmats. These are not similar players. Was Jean Beliveau the same player as Joey Mullen? They ended their careers separated by only 5 goals.......
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Steve wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:If Hejduk would stay at least 2 more years with Pens after getting him and if he is healthy okey,otherwise no, Especially Whitney or Staal for Hejduk doesnt make sense. I would love to see Chris Stewart in Pens uni,i think he could be next improved Malone.

First of all, that is really alot for the Penguins to give up, when we're only going to be receiving their second leading scorer and one of their top prospects, don't you think? Maybe we could get them to throw in Stasny and a new Zamboni in addition to those guys - then maybe it would be more equitable.

Well i would rather have that one from Avs on ice :) Stewart would be cheaper Horton..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Steve wrote:

Well i would rather have that one from Avs on ice :) Stewart would be cheaper Horton..

haha, there's room for both. I don't know that much about Stewart (the player), except that he was one of their higher rated prospects not too long ago....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Hmm...who said this 3-4 weeks ago? Oh, me.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Hmm...who said this 3-4 weeks ago? Oh, me.

The voices in my head told me in September.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:32 pm

In light of what they would have to give up and given his nagging injury, the Pens picking him up makes almost no sense.

The Fourth Period is little more than a rumour site.
Think Eklund without the rating system. (Or Dreger without the TSN press badge.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby joker10277 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Hedjuk, is a rh satan.......just say no RS!
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 pm

columbia wrote:In light of what they would have to give up and given his nagging injury, the Pens picking him up makes almost no sense.

The Fourth Period is little more than a rumour site.
Think Eklund without the rating system. (Or Dreger without the TSN press badge.)

Eklund is nothing without his ratings (E5)
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Killiecrankie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Hedjuk has played really really well with Forsberg in the past, in fact that was Colorado's most consistent pairing before the lockout. Crosby reminds me most of a mini in his prime Peter Forsberg, so I do not see how Hedjuk would not be able to gell with Sid. He would pop in 30ish goals this year playing with Sid easy.
Killiecrankie

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm not talking to the Avs unless Wojtek Wolski is in the discussion...

This! Wolski is the ONLY player, outside of Stasty, that interests me on that team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Killiecrankie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 pm

If Colorado falls off the map and you can get this guy for a prospect or a pick, you do it. Period
Killiecrankie

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 pm

I can't believe we're still talking about giving up young assets for rentals.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:55 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I can't believe we're still talking about giving up young assets for rentals.

It never stops.

After what Shero "gave up" for Hossa last year, I had hoped that people would be more realistic. Apparently not.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Killiecrankie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I can't believe we're still talking about giving up young assets for rentals.

It would be a year and a half rental, the guy is a pure sniper, smooth hands, fluid motion, is not physical but is not soft, very very good hockey sense. This guy is a pure goal scorer. I am not talking Sykora I just shoot the puck and thats all I am good for, this guy is an above average NHL hockey player in all three zones.

He has 40 goal potential and he is signed to a bargin contract, I fail to see the error in trying to attain his services if Colorado is stupid enough to put him on the market.

And oh ya, GEEZZZ 32 is soo old.
Killiecrankie

Postby KG on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 pm

Hejduk wouldn't be my first choice, but come on...Don't compare him to Satan please...

Hejduk is still a first line player who has won a cup. If he could be acquired for "cheap" you do it...hopefully you could move Satan in the trade though...Satan/Hejduk/Sykora Mr. Softy!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 pm

I wouldn't give up Whitney nor Staal for Hejduk. To do so would be utterly stupid.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 pm

KG wrote:Hejduk wouldn't be my first choice, but come on...Don't compare him to Satan please...

Hejduk is still a first line player who has won a cup. If he could be acquired for "cheap" you do it...hopefully you could move Satan in the trade though...Satan/Hejduk/Sykora Mr. Softy!

I know stats don't tell everything, I repeat, I know stats don't tell everything, but Hejduk has all of four more points than Satan this year. Colorado still has some good players surrounding him. Hejduk's on the level of a Sykora and he's not significantly greater than Satan, especially when you take into consideration that you'd have to give something to get him. There's no reason for Colorado to just give him away. I don't dislike Hejduk, but he's past his prime. What he did with Forsberg years ago is about as relevant as what Satan did years ago in Buffalo. Hejduk is not a significant leap above the wingers they already have. This is simply another case of the grass being greener on the other side.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:

It would be a year and a half rental, the guy is a pure sniper, smooth hands, fluid motion, is not physical but is not soft, very very good hockey sense. This guy is a pure goal scorer. I am not talking Sykora I just shoot the puck and thats all I am good for, this guy is an above average NHL hockey player in all three zones.

He has 40 goal potential and he is signed to a bargin contract, I fail to see the error in trying to attain his services if Colorado is stupid enough to put him on the market.

And oh ya, GEEZZZ 32 is soo old.

Hejduk hasn't scored 40 goals in a season in 6 years.

Again, this isn't the Hejduk that lit up the league for 2 years (really one big one).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
KG wrote:Hejduk wouldn't be my first choice, but come on...Don't compare him to Satan please...

I know stats don't tell everything, I repeat, I know stats don't tell everything, but Hejduk has all of four more points than Satan this year. Colorado still has some good players surrounding him. Hejduk's on the level of a Sykora and he's not significantly greater than Satan, especially when you take into consideration that you'd have to give something to get him. There's no reason for Colorado to just give him away. I don't dislike Hejduk, but he's past his prime. What he did with Forsberg years ago is about as relevant as what Satan did years ago in Buffalo. Hejduk is not a significant leap above the wingers they already have. This is simply another case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Agreed 100%.

People act like Hejduk is the second coming of Kovalev or Mike Gartner. If we got him for the price of Whitney or something big, people would be PO'd in no time.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby KG on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Satan, Grant, Jeffrey and Tampa's 3rd round pick for Hejduk and Lappierre?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins