Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens are interested in Hejduk!!!

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:47 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Oh, and the year before he scored 35 last, he scored 24 in 77 games.

The Hejduk you are thinking of is in 2000 and 2002.

BTW, stats schmats. These are not similar players. Was Jean Beliveau the same player as Joey Mullen? They ended their careers separated by only 5 goals.......

Comparing Beliveau to Mullen based on stats isn't a fair comparison. Different time/different game.

Hejduk and Sykora are similar players playing in the same era.

Just because Cheechoo hit 56 goals a few years ago, is he in the same class as Heatley, Kovalchuk, or other guys that hit 50 goals then too?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:49 pm

KG wrote:Satan, Grant, Jeffrey and Tampa's 3rd round pick for Hejduk and Lappierre?

I'd like to meet the GM who would trade for Satan. If I get laid off soon, I might have the chance at the unemployment office.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 pm

I said this a few weeks ago they stole my stuff lol
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 am

This whole board is LOL. I do know that.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:16 am

LOL -- Hejduk with 2 goals so far tonight.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 am

Pitts wrote:LOL -- Hejduk with 2 goals so far tonight.

Yeah, and Sykora had 2 goals against the Rags too.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:20 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:

Hmmmm - same person moonlighting on 2 teams???
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 am

Pitts wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

Hmmmm - same person moonlighting on 2 teams???

Similar.

You never know since Sykora seems PO'd with MT about his playing time.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:04 am

If they'd take Satan, maybe. If not, meh.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:11 am

Usually people here suggest trading Staal for some elite player and people still say "no way we should get more for him" and I don't get it. This time, however, I agree and join the no way we should get better choir :) Come on, sniping 33 year old winger for young center or defenseman with tremendous upsides signed long term at 4 mil per? Naaah.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Number Nine on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

Just saw on TIOPS that Colorado is interested in Whitney, and that our scouts are speaking highly of Wolski.

I would love to somehow see Wolski come here at the expense of Whitney.
Number Nine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Waffles on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 am

Whitney for Wolski would make me happy beyond belief
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:02 am

We would have to get more than Wolski for Whitney. They both have similar offensive stats (problem of course is Whitney is a DEFENCEMAN).
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 am

Mongoose87 wrote:Hedjuk, don't make it bad
Take a bad game, and make it better...

Hey Dude, I see what you did there. Don't bring the fabfour into this, we are talking about the Penscore.

But seriously, Whitney for Hejduk....... I would say yes to that deal.

The Pens biggest need is defense. Whitney does play decent defense, but his current upside is still offense. He has improved defensively over the years, and will continue to improve and be a better defenceman, but any trade we make is about NOW, this year.

So IF we were to make this deal, then the Pens would be FORCED to make another deal for a defenceman. Being forced to make a deal when other teams know you need it is tough. However, Hejduk for Whitney, RS should.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Killiecrankie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 am

Henry Hank wrote:
KG wrote:Hejduk wouldn't be my first choice, but come on...Don't compare him to Satan please...

Hejduk is still a first line player who has won a cup. If he could be acquired for "cheap" you do it...hopefully you could move Satan in the trade though...Satan/Hejduk/Sykora Mr. Softy!

I know stats don't tell everything, I repeat, I know stats don't tell everything, but Hejduk has all of four more points than Satan this year. Colorado still has some good players surrounding him. Hejduk's on the level of a Sykora and he's not significantly greater than Satan, especially when you take into consideration that you'd have to give something to get him. There's no reason for Colorado to just give him away. I don't dislike Hejduk, but he's past his prime. What he did with Forsberg years ago is about as relevant as what Satan did years ago in Buffalo. Hejduk is not a significant leap above the wingers they already have. This is simply another case of the grass being greener on the other side.

I am sorry, but Colorado is a train wreck. They have this wierd mix of young and very old that hasn't worked out, their goal keeping and defense stinks, they are a worse club than us.

Hejduk has thrived with good players, in addition he has the skating to keep up with either Crosby or Malkin. He is a MUCH better player than Sykora, and please don't ever compare him to friggen Satan. Satan has been out for a skate in the park since he came over to North America, he is a lifeless, gutless mercenary and always has been. Hejduk wants to win the cup, loved to play in Colorado, and if he could be had for Pittsburgh and convinced to waive his no deal clause (I believe he has one) he would be a TREMENDOUS asset to this club and would instantly be the best winger on this team.
Killiecrankie

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:15 am

i'm not interested in giving anything significant up for him either, but come on. him and sykora (and satan obviously) are on totally different levels.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bigkam on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:16 am

Are some of you people for serious?
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 am

I don't know much about Wolski. Anyone have a scouting report on him?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:34 am

HID LAME JUNK
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:57 am

KG wrote:I don't know much about Wolski. Anyone have a scouting report on him?

I don't know much either, but he appears to be in a slight funk this season, but at age 22 he already has 50 and 48 point seasons. One would think his best years are yet to come.

I would do Whitney, Satan and a second rounder for Hejduk and and Wolski. That would give us two scoring wingers to add to Fedotenko and Sykora, and with Wolski's age/production, one would think he could be retained beyond next season at around $3 million or so for a few years.

That trade then frees up cash for the Pens to make a few other smaller moves in bringing in some salary for the rest of this year and also eliminates the need to search outside the organization for wingers next season.

My only concern with such a trade is that it doesn't address the need for size and grit up front. I'd make such a deal if nothing else reasonable is available -- but it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:06 am

Wolski has been on a tear recently. He was player of the week just before the AS break. I think TIOPS had it right calling him a Malone type player with hands. He has been playing center recently. I think he skates better than Malone, but can not fill the PK role, nor backcheck like Malone.
I doubt Colorado is going to trade him. But it may be the kinda players Shero is asking for in return for Whitney or Gologoski.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm

bigkam wrote:Are some of you people for serious?

They are.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:44 pm

SolidSnake wrote:This whole board is LOL. I do know that.

Concur -- Lawwl
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GJ on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Scott Hannan has been a surprising disaster since coming over from the Sharks. He may be moved soon. Wolski is big and 22 and an elite at breakaways & shootouts and isn't going anywhere. Goaltending is real shaky. The Avs will be sellers soon except for Wolski, Smyth, and Stastny.
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Defence21 wrote:
KG wrote:I don't know much about Wolski. Anyone have a scouting report on him?

I don't know much either, but he appears to be in a slight funk this season, but at age 22 he already has 50 and 48 point seasons. One would think his best years are yet to come.

I would do Whitney, Satan and a second rounder for Hejduk and and Wolski. That would give us two scoring wingers to add to Fedotenko and Sykora, and with Wolski's age/production, one would think he could be retained beyond next season at around $3 million or so for a few years.

That trade then frees up cash for the Pens to make a few other smaller moves in bringing in some salary for the rest of this year and also eliminates the need to search outside the organization for wingers next season.

My only concern with such a trade is that it doesn't address the need for size and grit up front. I'd make such a deal if nothing else reasonable is available -- but it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.

Wolski is one of those players who has trememdous upside. He has been stuck on 2nd, and 3rd line duty most of the year due to others ahead of him on the depth chart This is only his 2nd year in the league I think. Just recently, he has been moved to #1 center with Stastny being out and has been lighting it up. I believe he is naturally a left-wing and someone who I think would thrive with Crosby as they have similar games. If you ask me, he reminds me quite a bit of a younger Cammalleri. I don't think Colorado would move him very eagerly.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins