Crosby Has Become So Overrated He's Now Underrated

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby Has Become So Overrated He's Now Underrated

Postby ivand87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm

Great article on NHL Fanhouse - http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/29/sidn ... nderrated/

If you're on digg, you know what to do - http://digg.com/hockey/Sidney_Crosby_Ha ... Underrated
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Crosby Has Become So Overrated He's Now Underrated

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah, I caught this earlier. Definitely worth a look.

Although it's basically what LGP has been saying for the past week. In fact, reading back over it, it's almost like the guy lifted some of our quotes and made them his own words. Never-the-less, definitely a good read.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:18 pm

I still don't understand why everyone is automatically saying ovechkin is better than Crosby. For parts of this season, I can understand how someone would say that - but overall? I don't think so. Crosby hasn't looked like himself for the better part of the season, and he's still in 2nd place in points. That says quite a bit.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:20 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Yeah, I caught this earlier. Definitely worth a look.

Although it's basically what LGP has been saying for the past week. In fact, reading back over it, it's almost like the guy lifted some of our quotes and made them his own words. Never-the-less, definitely a good read.

True, but it's nice to see someone call it like it is outside of a message board. And Crosby at this point should stop being so politically correct and firing back at some of these guys. I know, he's better than that, and he lets his play on the ice and his numbers do the talking, but I'm not the only one who would really like to see him respond to some of these tools like Kostitsyn and Semin and Roenick who have done nothing for the NHL compared to what he's done. Crosby's too modest.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby K2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 pm

I didn't realize that the same guy facilitated the Kostitsyn and Semin interviews. Perhaps he's the perpetrator moreso than the two players :wink: Roenick on the other hand, he's just a drunk joke

The author quotes a golden post from tPB, but I'm guessing he has no idea who Rob Rossi or Rich Walsh is :lol: . All in all, definetly a good article and a valid point
Last edited by K2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Good article. This reminds of an article on espn.com this week by Bill Simmons explaining the opposite phenomenon (albeit not in regards to Crosby)--being called underrated so many times that you actually become overrated. I was thinking of Malone as an example of this. How many columns have come out talking about Malone's underrated contributions to the Pens' offense last season? If someone gets called underrated enough, they are become overrated and get excessively large contracts from stupid teams.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm

I don't know what Sid gains by responding to every verbal taunt about him. Like this Sergei guy, it was an opinion, fine. In his 4th year here, his response has always been on-ice.
This is who he is. :) Enough for me.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:41 pm

ivand87 wrote:

True, but it's nice to see someone call it like it is outside of a message board. And Crosby at this point should stop being so politically correct and firing back at some of these guys. I know, he's better than that, and he lets his play on the ice and his numbers do the talking, but I'm not the only one who would really like to see him respond to some of these tools like Kostitsyn and Semin and Roenick who have done nothing for the NHL compared to what he's done. Crosby's too modest.

Oh for sure. I'd love to see Sid start firing back at some of these guys. But honestly, I think he fires back on the ice, not in the media.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
ivand87 wrote:

Oh for sure. I'd love to see Sid start firing back at some of these guys. But honestly, I think he fires back on the ice, not in the media.

EX: His performances against Philadelphia.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jaysmiter on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm

I'm glad someone else is willing to address the fact that when Crosby does something off-color on the ice (see: the beanbag punch, or the florida panther jump) fans from other teams FLIP out and want him suspended/thrown out of the league, etc...But, when Ovie throws some vicious hits from behind or to the head, they praise his intensity.

Makes no sense to me.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

crosby has more ppg in his career than both Ovechkin & Malkin. it's actually a pretty significant lead too. Ovechkin is really only better at one aspect of the game (goals). Sid is far better than him at every other attribute (re: i don't consider checking [legitimate and cheap shots] to be the mark of a great player).
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 am

"Overrated" is when the ratio of the sum of the value one senses a player is getting attributed to him by all other concerned observers to the value (production, talent, etc.) one believes a player has at the moment is greater than 1. It's about as useless and mis-named a concept as "vertical passing game" or "trickle-down economics."
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tksmr2 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Easton wrote:I still don't understand why everyone is automatically saying ovechkin is better than Crosby. For parts of this season, I can understand how someone would say that - but overall? I don't think so. Crosby hasn't looked like himself for the better part of the season, and he's still in 2nd place in points. That says quite a bit.

I don't agree with you on this. One or two spots in the season Crosby was on fire, making the right choices with the puck. Then, he goes into these long slumpy, dumb decision making ordeals were he trys to be too much of a team player, stops crashing the net, and stops shooting all together, thus no one on the other team expects, or even respects his shot, or his ability to drive to the net.

I would have to say Crosby is at his best when he is a bit selfish, and drives to the net, takes the occasional low percentage shot, etc.. So the defense has to respect that part of his game. I would agree that he is top 1 -2 player in the NHL if he would play like he did against the Rangers all of the time, or at least 2 out of every 3 games, but he goes into these mental dulldrums were his mind and/or body is not wanting to do anything execept look to pass 99.9% of the time, and avoid crashing the net,etc.

This is what is so frustrating about Crosby, and part of my reasoning as to why other players in the league don't think he lives up to all the hype.

Yes.. he is still 2nd in points.. but imagine if his mental state was always like the Rangers game, imagine were he would be in points then.. That is why he is possibly the best player in the NHL.. or at least has the ability to be.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins