Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:19 am

I stumbled upon something interesting as I perused the much maligned FANTASY HOCKEY RANKINGS: Malkin is on pace to have both the most shots of his career and the lowest shooting percentage. Now, we talk about his increased role as a playmaker this year, but, now, I have to wonder if that is the cause of his decreasing goal totals, or the symptom?

Interesting note: If Malkin were shooting as accurately as he was last year, but with his projected shots for this year, he would score fifty goals.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby canaan on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:48 am

is this post supposed to be as funny as it is?

he just won the NHL's shooting accuracy competition and you're questioning his accuracy. unbelievable.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,957
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby Number Nine on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:30 am

Not to defend the OP, because I disagree with the point, but there is a huge difference in being able to hit a couple targets in the corners of the nets, and being able to pick small holes in a goalies coverage at full speed when your under pressure from a defensman.

Im pretty sure if you stuck 10 semi-experienced (not pro) hockey players on a rink and did the same competition a handful would be able to go 7 of 7 as Malkin did.
Number Nine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:31 am

canaan wrote:is this post supposed to be as funny as it is?

he just won the NHL's shooting accuracy competition and you're questioning his accuracy. unbelievable.


not the same thing.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,504
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:33 am

Maybe he is taking a ton of shots because no one else is, especially on the PP. Those long bombs from the point aren't exactly high percentage, they are more to create rebounds and tip-ins.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:09 am

I agree that anyone who knows how to shoot a wrist shot can be good at accuracy shooting. I myself am a HORRIBLE hockey player (mainly because I can't skate) but I from between the circles I can beat those shooter tutor things they strech over the goals about 80% of my shots. I once made 11 straight in the top corners. Now put me into the game coach and I have a really bad habit of shooting over the goal!

PS -- the skill in that accuracy shooting contest is in the passers not the shooters for the most part.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,764
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby crayz on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 am

yea...biggest reason his shot totals are up is without Gonchar, he is the man shooting Slappers from the point. That adds a lot of shots that are just thrown towards the net hoping for a deflection or rebound...which on a team with no net presence, leads to a lot of easy saves.
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,710
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Remember the Pav!

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:Maybe he is taking a ton of shots because no one else is, especially on the PP. Those long bombs from the point aren't exactly high percentage, they are more to create rebounds and tip-ins.


No different than Gonchar's strategery last year. His shooting percentage was among the worst in the league.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,096
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 am

ffemtreed wrote:PS -- the skill in that accuracy shooting contest is in the passers not the shooters for the most part.



I remember when Bourque went 4 for 4 in the accuract shooting contest. Do you know who was passing him the puck. Lemeiux and Gretzky, YIKES!!!
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,934
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby NYPensFan on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 pm

If I remember correctly there was no passing this year on the accuracy contest. I think the pucks were lined up and the shooters just shot them until time ran out. Also I have not seen it mentioned but Malkin actually went 8 of 8. It wasn't clear that he had hit the 4th target and he shot again and hit it in the first round. Even though it didn't count it was too bad it wasn't on the 2nd round for another 4 of 4.
NYPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:34 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby icecats30 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19 pm

NYPensFan wrote:If I remember correctly there was no passing this year on the accuracy contest. I think the pucks were lined up and the shooters just shot them until time ran out. Also I have not seen it mentioned but Malkin actually went 8 of 8. It wasn't clear that he had hit the 4th target and he shot again and hit it in the first round. Even though it didn't count it was too bad it wasn't on the 2nd round for another 4 of 4.


he went 4-4 in the first round, 3-4 in the second, missing the last shot
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:05 pm

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:17 pm

canaan wrote:is this post supposed to be as funny as it is?

he just won the NHL's shooting accuracy competition and you're questioning his accuracy. unbelievable.

Statistical accuracy doesn't measure his ability to place the puck, it measures the frequency with which you put the puck in the net. This is by no means an accusation of suckitude on Malkin's part; he's my favorite player. I merely found it an interesting statistical anomaly.

Jake wrote:
crayz wrote:yea...biggest reason his shot totals are up is without Gonchar, he is the man shooting Slappers from the point. That adds a lot of shots that are just thrown towards the net hoping for a deflection or rebound...which on a team with no net presence, leads to a lot of easy saves.

This.

I considered this, but then I recalled how many weak powerplays we'd had where we had one or zero shots and figured he probably wasn't actually getting more shots on from this.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby canaan on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:43 pm

icecats30 wrote:
NYPensFan wrote:If I remember correctly there was no passing this year on the accuracy contest. I think the pucks were lined up and the shooters just shot them until time ran out. Also I have not seen it mentioned but Malkin actually went 8 of 8. It wasn't clear that he had hit the 4th target and he shot again and hit it in the first round. Even though it didn't count it was too bad it wasn't on the 2nd round for another 4 of 4.


he went 4-4 in the first round, 3-4 in the second, missing the last shot


and there was passing. fail x2
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,957
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Malkin's Shot Accuracy

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:14 pm

hey do you guys realize we gonna see 100th career goal from Geno tonight :) in 210 games - awesome
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,508
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Desiato, jcgopens, RxBandit66 and 9 guests


e-mail