Orpik might play tonight - his quote

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Orpik might play tonight - his quote

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 am

Orpik from the Post Gazette - "Sometimes, you don't want to tinker with the lineup or the luck you have. So, I'll wait my turn. It's my job now to be ready when I do get a chance."

That's impressive! He's not an MT fan, and had a history of speaking his mind, but he's saying the right thing. I am not a fan of the revolving Associate Captain role, and I think Orpik deserves to have one permanently.

The Devils will be a tough first game back, but the Pens can use his defense. And I hope he hits Madden so hard he swallows his mouthguard.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Orpik might play tonight - his quote

Postby Waffles on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 am

The rotating A is something that is a great idea in theory, just not when it's actually implemented.

Orpik is definitely one of the more professional players on the team.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 am

So basically he's saying that he's healthy but Therrien doesn't want to mess with the lineup because the Pens won?

Orpik is arguably our best defenseman not counting Gonchar, he should be playing... Is Therrien really gonna NOT play the NHL's leading hitter because he doesn't want to mess with a lineup that was average at best against New York for the first 40 minutes of the game?
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 am

Brooks knows if pronounced healthy, but not in the line-up, media will try to make that a drama scene. He is just being proactive. Plus, this is the way Therrien has been with most penguin injuries.
For February, give the A's back to Evgeni & Brooks as they were at the start.

Welcome back Brooks!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 am

I think your right Penny. Even more impressive on Brook's part.

I'm glad to hear the A's are going back to Brooks and Malkin. And when Gonch comes back late February (my hope anyway) then Malkin can make a ceremony of giving his A to him.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:00 am

penny lane wrote:Brooks knows if pronounced healthy, but not in the line-up, media will try to make that a drama scene. He is just being proactive. Plus, this is the way Therrien has been with most penguin injuries.
For February, give the A's back to Evgeni & Brooks as they were at the start.

Welcome back Brooks!

Seconded. These two are by far the two most deserving on the team. Just get over the rotating A thing and let the real leaders lead.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 am

ivand87 wrote:Orpik is arguably our best defenseman not counting Gonchar, he should be playing

one could argue that scuderi has been more valuable than orpik this year. and considering brooks' contract, that's more of a knock on orpik than a compliment to scuderi. i like orpik as a leader and he keeps guys honest with his hitting, but he's not THAT much better right now than anyone else in the lineup aside from boucher and maybe gill.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:32 am

Anyone notice we've been winning since Orpik has been out? His -8 is awsome.

But, I've been the only realy Orpik hater (minus him not being soft) on this board for the last year.

The guys terrible when it comes to position or hockey sense.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:34 am

Good, we need him badly. Buffalo, Carolina, Florida are not going to make it easy to squeak in it seems...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:36 am

Firebird wrote:Anyone notice we've been winning since Orpik has been out? His -8 is awsome.

But, I've been the only realy Orpik hater (minus him not being soft) on this board for the last year.

i'm one who thinks orpik's $$$ could potentially be used better elsewhere, but i have to disagree on your reasoning. i think he's actually become a smart player. my gripes with him are his ironic inability to clear the crease and the fact that he's literally one of the worst players in the league with the puck on his stick.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 am

Firebird wrote:Anyone notice we've been winning since Orpik has been out? His -8 is awsome.

I don't hate him, but he's definitely not playing as well as he did last season. I would like to see him hit guys in front of our net, like he does on the boards.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck Drama on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 am

I hope they send Gologoski down to get him some playing time.
Orpik's play has been inconsistant this year. Maybe he comes back better prepared for the home stretch.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 am

To the OP, Orpik actually went on record saying he never had a problem with Therrien and demanded the press provide him with a time he'd said that. So you're wrong.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby fourtKNOX on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 am

Pens get a chance at a team that is playing back to back again... we need another big time win.

NJ beat Boston in overtime last night!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:57 am

So not only are you using +/- as a main part of your argument, you're not even using the correct number. That's just...awesome.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Doogs on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Where in that did he say he was ready?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Doogs wrote:Where in that did he say he was ready?

Orpik was full-go yesterday in practice. He pronounced himself ready to play against the Devils but had not yet gotten word from Therrien.

"If it was up to me, I'd play (tonight)," Orpik said. "But we're coming off a 6-2 win in which everyone played well. Sometimes, you don't want to tinker with the lineup or the luck you have. So, I'll wait my turn. It's my job now to be ready when I do get a chance

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 09411.html
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Firebird on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Steve wrote:

I don't hate him, but he's definitely not playing as well as he did last season. I would like to see him hit guys in front of our net, like he does on the boards.

What do you mean by last season.

He was one of the worst defenseman on the team during the first half of the season last year.

Then all of a sudden when he realized he was due for a new contract halfway through the season he played a ton better.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Firebird wrote:
Steve wrote:

He was one of the worst defenseman on the team during the first half of the season last year.

Then all of a sudden when he realized he was due for a new contract halfway through the season he played a ton better.

You could make the statement that after hossa, Shero wanted to sign those pens left, but c'mon , Brooks playing for a contract; he would have landed with another team in June/July, with ease. Like all penguins not name Evgeni, all have struggled during 1st half of season.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Firebird wrote:
Steve wrote:

You realize he took a discount to come back to Pittsburgh, right?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Firebird on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:37 pm

wallflower wrote:

So not only are you using +/- as a main part of your argument, you're not even using the correct number. That's just...awesome.

Wow man, seriously. Are you kidding? Clearly I don't have the energy to go look up his +/- exactly but I know it's around there....

I don't know if you watched him play last year before the allstar break and realized how many bonehead plays he made every game but it was sickening. I'm hoping he picks up his game for the second half like he did last year.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins