Pens vs Isles Official Game Thread 2/4/06

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby scpensfan on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:57 pm

relantel wrote:This shootout format is a frackin Joke. Give a point to the team who was dominated in OT. NHL needs to go back to the darn tie.

Or Pens need to find some guys who can actually score in the SO -- and Rex ain't one of them. Also, I'll echo the sentiment about Crosby shooting (or not shooting) 3rd -- WTF?
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:58 pm

68forever wrote:Some big inexperience there.. 1st ever shootout but give him time maybe that goalie coach can work with MAF and teach him more about not poke checking but a good feeling from todays game to make it to the shootout maybe they can take some of todays good feeling to the next game.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, didn't Fleury see 10 or so shootouts in his 2 years of AHL play?

This was his first NHL shootout.

Inexcusable.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Reilly on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:58 pm

jmh70 wrote:Well done MT putting your best shooter last. Even Edzo didn't make that mistake.

You must have forgotten the Montreal game (Thibaults only win)
Reilly

Extremely poor decisions in The SO.

Postby SMTM on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:00 pm

Why Recchi in the shootout? Has he even scored in a shoot out this year? I'd rather have Jackman take the shot than Recchi. Crosby last? Dumb, just dum

Oh, and MA Fleury needs a lot of shoot out practice. He looked like a child out their. The second poke check is so predictable for the shooter.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bowser on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:00 pm

what do you people want... Caron? Pens got a tie.... be happy with that.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Therrien's An Idiot

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:01 pm

How on earth do you have Recchi and Ouellet as your first two shooters??? Neither even deserved to be there. Ouellet has looke dhorrible in shootouts. recchi is just plain bad at this type of thing. And then you make them your first two and your best shooter doesn't even get to shoot.

Oh, and memo to MAF: These are NHL shooters. Poke checks might work in the A, but not up here.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BJL on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:02 pm

Woulda been nice to have Christensen for the shootout, although he already beat DiPietro once this year w/ his move... the one he's scored on in EVERY shootout he's been in this year (NHL and AHL).
Last edited by BJL on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Therrien's An Idiot

Postby Jesse on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:02 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:How on earth do you have Recchi and Ouellet as your first two shooters??? Neither even deserved to be there. Ouellet has looke dhorrible in shootouts. recchi is just plain bad at this type of thing. And then you make them your first two and your best shooter doesn't even get to shoot.

Oh, and memo to MAF: These are NHL shooters. Poke checks might work in the A, but not up here.

What shootout have you seen Ouellet in?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scpensfan on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:02 pm

Nah, don't want Caron, but MAAAAAAN, did MAF ever look overmatched in the SO. The Satan goal is one thing, but to get schooled by Hunter is another thing entirely.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

I'm ecstatic!

Postby dagny on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Bowser wrote:what do you people want... Caron? Pens got a tie.... be happy with that.

The only thing that irked me enough to post, was making Sid the 3rd shooter... huh?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BJL on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Ouellet was almost automatic in shootouts in the AHL last year... Therrien will ALWAYS use him as one of his 3 shooters.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Bowser wrote:what do you people want... Caron? Pens got a tie.... be happy with that.

That was actually one of the best games all year by the defense. The PK goals were largely due to the forwards not covering their guys. But without Talbot and Murley the PK sucks.

Barely saw Endicott, that's always good. And Gonchar looks to be getting uot of his funk or is getting healthy.

But it was a horrible game start to finish by Fleury and no one is saying he had a good game. But to say he should go to WBS is stupid.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby fourtKNOX on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:04 pm

happy with the effort... you ppl have to realize that the islanders are a legit playoff team... when you have yashin sittin on your bench in a shotout... your very well off...

the pens played great... trailed the entire game... yes we still lack that killer instinct... that put away goal... but guess what... we are learning

congrats to jackman and gonchar... i thought they both played awesome today... yeah jackman and even gonchar looked shacky at times... but they are ripping the puck here and there... and played overall above average...

the pens are actually playing well... yes i said it... burn me at the stake!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:06 pm

Jesse wrote:

He was in the last one against the Isles and did nothing. The immortal Wade Dubliewicz (sp?) stoned him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:07 pm

ziggystardust wrote:I was surprised that Malone wasn't in the shootout, but then I remembered Therrien has a chubby for Ouellet and Rex.

I still don't understand why order matters. If sid goes first and scores Rex and Ouellet still skate out there and look stupid, MAF still gets abused... order doesn't matter.

You are only garunteed two shooters so your best shooters whould go first or second, not third. It's really that simple unless you don't even want a chance to get to a third shot and maybe win.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:07 pm

ziggystardust wrote:I was surprised that Malone wasn't in the shootout, but then I remembered Therrien has a chubby for Ouellet and Rex.

I still don't understand why order matters. If sid goes first and scores Rex and Ouellet still skate out there and look stupid, MAF still gets abused... order doesn't matter.

It should have been Gonchar, CRosby, Malone.

Gonchar had a monster game and should have been rewarded.

P.S. Watch your language. Family board and all... :)
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:07 pm

I didnt have a problem with having Crosby 3rd. Has the flare for the dramatic...and you would bet that Fluery would have atleast stopped one of those first 2..but no..he got used bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAF again lets in a late goal that put the ISLE back in front 4-3.
He also didnt seem himself today..a lot of shots off his shoulders with rebounds..unlike him...and he didnt look good in the shootout either.

ho hum...

gonchar played good...diving on the ice to keep it in the zone...shooting good...nice to hear the fans cheering for him rather than booing... :)

Crosby is amazing...and I am sorry but Ovechkin has better linemates...atleast speed wise that give him some open ice.
Crosby is the better player...even right now. :)

Orpick and Whitney are still not bringing anything to the table. :(

Oullett still cant handle that Crosby rocket pass. :(

Recchi seems to have found his game again,,50 games too late :|
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

He was in the last one against the Isles and did nothing. The immortal Wade Dubliewicz (sp?) stoned him.

First off, that's hardly a large selection of games for you to form the opinion that he sucks in the shootout.

Secondly, Wade stoned all 3 shooters that night.

Don't make it sound like we lost 3-2 or something.

Ouellet has had some great success in the past with the shootout. Therrien knows it and put him in there for a reason.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:17 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
DelPen wrote:

You are only garunteed two shooters so your best shooters whould go first or second, not third. It's really that simple unless you don't even want a chance to get to a third shot and maybe win.

I like the idea of Croz going last, with the game on the line.

With the best shooter going second, it gives you the chance of possibly even having a third shooter. If your first AND second shooters miss, likely the third will not get to shoot, but if the second shooter scores, even if the first didn't, you get the opportunity to send out a third shooter.

I know, I know... you don't think anyone else would score, anyway.... just explaining the logic.... :D
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jamie on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:24 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Jamie wrote:Terrible call by MT to put Crosby last. You have to put him in the #2 slot. That way it guarantees he gets the puck. Now before I get flamed, I am not saying that MT is a terrible coach or deserves to be fired. I just think IMO that you have to give your BEST player an opportunity to see the puck in a shootout.

if Croz scored the pens still lose 2-1

what does it matter?

The fans get to see the best player on their team perform, thats what it matters.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Jesse wrote:
Ouellet has had some great success in the past with the shootout. Therrien knows it and put him in there for a reason.

All I know is he's now 0-2 in the NHL and hasn't come close. Just like Fleury's poke check doesn't translate to the NHL, maybe Oullet's moves (or lack thereof from what I've seen) don't either.

Besides, he was far from one of the better players today, and at this point, I would use the shootout to reward strong performances. That's why Malone and Gonchar should have been in it.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanBryan on Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:40 pm

PensFanBryan wrote:And that would be why Jackman doesnt play. I gurantee he wont get over 10:00 today.

I take this back... After his penalty he was by far one of the best players on the ice. He needs to be playing every night!
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zscout on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:02 pm

you could have Crosby go three times in all three spots, but since Fleury was not going to stop anything, it did not matter.
The Pens would have done no worse if the sent Scuderi and Melichar out for the shootout.
Zscout

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins