Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Postby Defence21 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:58 pm

supermario wrote:I agree with you Draftnik. I may be in a minority, but this trade sucks. I expected a talented winger for Sid out of Whitney. Instead we got a third line grinder. Why didn't they just use Cooke there. This reaks of desperation. I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. I hope this Tangredi works out well.

Just an FYI, Kunitz has had a 60 and 50 point season and is on pace for 46 this season. he's good in front of the net and plays physical. Ryan Malone ring a bell?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saleen66 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:58 pm

KG wrote:I'm fine with the trade. It's fair.

I will say that I feel like we still need a goal scoring wing for Crosby...not sure who else we could deal to get that done...(not named Staal)...

I agree. Kunitz may not jell with Crosby or Malkin and become another Satan. I don't know if Whitney for a possible Satan (multiple years also) is the best move. I hope this Tangradi is the real deal. I don't think this is even close to the top 6 winger type Crosby needs. Need a guy with hands and a good shot. I am on the ledge on this trade as of now. Only time will tell.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:59 pm

I've watch Tangradi play about 15 times in Belleville. Did you? Probably not. You'd rather dig up your "empirical data" than actually discuss what kids do ON THE ICE. Tangradi was a long shot to even MAKE the WJC last year. He certainly didn't have a good tournament. But screw it, let's forget everything the kid did on the ice that year in Belleville and focus on that tournament.

The kid has NHL tools. Ask anyone that has seen him play. He's a 6'4, 221 lb wing that has been putting his game together more and more. The coaching staff in Belleville has done an awesome job with this kid. It's not my fault you'd rather read Mirtle's data on age in comparison to NHL success than actually watch kids play hockey and make judgements based on that.
Last edited by Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Yeah but as stated, Kunitz was on waivers twice too a few years back. If anything this may have been a good trade for Ryan, yet to be seen if it was good for the Pens.
Last edited by Ron` on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 pm

saleen66 wrote:
KG wrote:I'm fine with the trade. It's fair.

I will say that I feel like we still need a goal scoring wing for Crosby...not sure who else we could deal to get that done...(not named Staal)...

I agree. Kunitz may not jell with Crosby or Malkin and become another Satan. I don't know if Whitney for a possible Satan (multiple years also) is the best move. I hope this Tangradi is the real deal. I don't think this is even close to the top 6 winger type Crosby needs. Need a guy with hands and a good shot. I am on the ledge on this trade as of now. Only time will tell.

kunitz is a hard worker. comparing him to satan is a tad absurd.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Easy on Drafty everyone...he's not as far off people make it seem...to be fair though, Draft, Tangradi didn't turn 20 until last week or whatever...but no, Kunitz isn't that good...he's a hard working, gritty winger, but he doesn't have a ton of skill, or an excellent shot...he wasn't what I was expecting in a deal, I wanted someone talented...

Hopefully he's a guy that can catch on playing on a good line here in Pittsburgh (like Ekman did with Thornton and Cheechoo...but we all know how that went)...and Tangradi is still a mystery despite his play in the O this year...hopefully he's the type that gets better when he turns pro, but there are a lot of reservations about him still...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm

So now that Whits is gone does that mean we use Staal to possibly land us another winger or some form of Defensive defensemen? Which teams are in need of a "potential" stud center?
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm

If nothing else, the Pens just became tougher to play against!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:02 pm

I just realized that Tangradi is currently 2nd in OHL scoring... he's 2 points behind Tavares. He's got 38 g and 49a in 52 games.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tperko on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:02 pm

KG wrote:If nothing else, the Pens just became tougher to play against!

and got rid of dead weight.
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 pm

From what I've heard about Tangradi, he'll be our number 2 prospect now
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Will Kunitz stand in front of the opposing goalie? If he can do this, even on a power play, that will help.

I thought Kunitz's play allowed ducks to trade lopul to the flyers?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Good trade for both clubs.
Kunitz plays on first line with Getzlaf and Perry so he's not allergic to playing with skill
He's a 20-25 goal scorer - I agree a replacement for the loss of Malone.
Plus you get a legit prospect.
I think one more deal could be in works for next W.

Interesting blog by Greg Wyshynski about the deal

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl,144330
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

mikey287 wrote:Easy on Drafty everyone...he's not as far off people make it seem...to be fair though, Draft, Tangradi didn't turn 20 until last week or whatever...but no, Kunitz isn't that good...he's a hard working, gritty winger, but he doesn't have a ton of skill, or an excellent shot...he wasn't what I was expecting in a deal, I wanted someone talented...

Hopefully he's a guy that can catch on playing on a good line here in Pittsburgh (like Ekman did with Thornton and Cheechoo...but we all know how that went)...and Tangradi is still a mystery despite his play in the O this year...hopefully he's the type that gets better when he turns pro, but there are a lot of reservations about him still...

You'd be remiss to say that the coaching staff didn't finally reach Tangradi last year. He's ALWAYS been billed as a project, but to deny what he brings to the table given the lack of that exact type of game in the system is just absurd. Especially when you base it off of some website's data and a WJC performance.

Tangradi has been putting it together more and more ever since he was in Wyoming. He got minimal time his rookie year with Belleville and found his way a little bit his sophomore season. It's no different than what happened with Gianluca at Niagara.

The attitude that people take towards some of these kids is absurd. Patrick Kane didn't have a good NAHL rookie year. In fact, he was pretty putrid in the defensive zone and had a hard time understanding certain facets of the game. As you said, Tangradi just had a birthday. We're already writing him off based on the fact that he scored a ton when he was 19.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby superconan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Jesse wrote:I've watch Tangradi play about 15 times in Belleville. Did you? Probably not. You'd rather dig up your "empirical data" than actually discuss what kids do ON THE ICE. Tangradi was a long shot to even MAKE the WJC last year. He certainly didn't have a good tournament. But screw it, let's forget everything the kid did on the ice that year in Belleville and focus on that tournament.

The kid has NHL tools. Ask anyone that has seen him play. He's a 6'4, 221 lb wing that has been putting his game together more and more. The coaching staff in Belleville has done an awesome job with this kid. It's not my fault you'd rather read Mirtle's data on age in comparison to NHL success than actually watch kids play hockey and make judgements based on that.

Sometimes I think how a US kid does in the WJC shouldn't be used against him. There seems to be something wrong there.
Last edited by superconan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I just realized that Tangradi is currently 2nd in OHL scoring... he's 2 points behind Tavares. He's got 38 g and 49a in 52 games.

Yeah but he's 20 so none of that matters.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby superconan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Jesse wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:I just realized that Tangradi is currently 2nd in OHL scoring... he's 2 points behind Tavares. He's got 38 g and 49a in 52 games.

Yeah but he's 20 so none of that matters.

If Tavares was born whatever number of days earlier, would his stats matter?
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 pm

So if Kunitz is Malone's replacement at $3.75MM...Wouldn't you rather just have the Pens signed Malone for $4MM? And not have to trade Whitney? (I doubt it would have taken a 7 year deal for Malone to stay)...

I'm just saying...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby supermario on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Defence21 wrote:
supermario wrote:I agree with you Draftnik. I may be in a minority, but this trade sucks. I expected a talented winger for Sid out of Whitney. Instead we got a third line grinder. Why didn't they just use Cooke there. This reaks of desperation. I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. I hope this Tangredi works out well.

Just an FYI, Kunitz has had a 60 and 50 point season and is on pace for 46 this season. he's good in front of the net and plays physical. Ryan Malone ring a bell?

I hope your right D21. I don't usually judge until i've seen a guy play, but Kunitz isn't the type of "name" guy I was hoping for.
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tperko on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

KG wrote:So if Kunitz is Malone's replacement at $3.75MM...Wouldn't you rather just have the Pens signed Malone for $4MM? And not have to trade Whitney? (I doubt it would have taken a 7 year deal for Malone to stay)...

I'm just saying...

yeah but then we still have to pay Whitney for rehabilitation time and sucking
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

KG wrote:So if Kunitz is Malone's replacement at $3.75MM...Wouldn't you rather just have the Pens signed Malone for $4MM? And not have to trade Whitney? (I doubt it would have taken a 7 year deal for Malone to stay)...

I'm just saying...

It's not a bad point if Malone accepts a deal for less than 7 years or whatever.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby supermario on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm just saying...

Bingo
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

tperko wrote:

I'm just saying...

yeah but then we still have to pay Whitney for rehabilitation time and sucking

No, you just move him for something else.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Shero has to have another big player up his sleeve (on the RW).

I'm happy to get Whitney's $4m off the books but I'm "meh" on this trade.

Kunitz is an ok player. He plays hard. He's not going to bring Oates/Hull magic for Crosby but if Shero can get a decent RW next, I can see where Kunitz's value to Sid's line greatly increases.

Kunitz is a complimentary player.

I'd be shocked if this is Shero's last move.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm just saying...

Why assume Malone would have signed for $4M?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins