Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Postby Defence21 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Ron` wrote:Yeah but as stated, Kunitz was on waivers twice too a few years back. If anything this may have been a good trade for Ryan, yet to be seen if it was good for the Pens.

So was Robert Lang, Marcus Naslund, etc. Not saying Kunitz is Lang or Naslund, but "once a waiver player" does not equal "always a waiver player."
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tperko on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
KG wrote:So if Kunitz is Malone's replacement at $3.75MM...Wouldn't you rather just have the Pens signed Malone for $4MM? And not have to trade Whitney? (I doubt it would have taken a 7 year deal for Malone to stay)...

I'm just saying...

Why assume Malone would have signed for $4M?

hossa wants to stay in pgh too
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm

pfim wrote:
tperko wrote:
KG wrote:So if Kunitz is Malone's replacement at $3.75MM...Wouldn't you rather just have the Pens signed Malone for $4MM? And not have to trade Whitney? (I doubt it would have taken a 7 year deal for Malone to stay)...

I'm just saying...

yeah but then we still have to pay Whitney for rehabilitation time and sucking

No, you just move him for something else.

I'm saying you could have Malone and then deal Whitney for a goal scoring forward...Now you have Kunitz with no Malone and no Whitney...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I'm just saying...

His cap hit is $4.5MM...fine...$4.25MM??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saleen66 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 pm

canaan wrote:
saleen66 wrote:
KG wrote:I'm fine with the trade. It's fair.

I will say that I feel like we still need a goal scoring wing for Crosby...not sure who else we could deal to get that done...(not named Staal)...

I agree. Kunitz may not jell with Crosby or Malkin and become another Satan. I don't know if Whitney for a possible Satan (multiple years also) is the best move. I hope this Tangradi is the real deal. I don't think this is even close to the top 6 winger type Crosby needs. Need a guy with hands and a good shot. I am on the ledge on this trade as of now. Only time will tell.

kunitz is a hard worker. comparing him to satan is a tad absurd.

I didn't say he was Satan, but who really thinks he is the answer for Crosby's wing? He is much grittier and physical than Satan (like Cooke) but with a little better hands. I think he is definitely in the mold of making the pens harder to play against. I think that this could backfire like Satan did. I mean is he a finisher? A sniper? That is what Crosby needs. I think we still need another top 6 winger for Crosby's line.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

This was a good trade. Whitney dragged his value down this year but I like Kunitz, I think he'll be a good fit with Crosby and will provide balance if Satan is on the other wing.

This Tangradi kid is also a very good pickup. We are struglling for talented forwards in the system.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Ron` wrote:Yeah but as stated, Kunitz was on waivers twice too a few years back. If anything this may have been a good trade for Ryan, yet to be seen if it was good for the Pens.

So was Robert Lang, Marcus Naslund, etc. Not saying Kunitz is Lang or Naslund, but "once a waiver player" does not equal "always a waiver player."
He comes back to the Ducks off waivers and lands with some pretty darn good linemates. Key here is line mates. He's a complimentary player. That's why I see an energy guy that is overpaid in Kunitz, but hey that's my opinion.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Someone just said it, but it is my sentiment exactly...this is basically another Ryan Malone, except a little faster and a better shot.

I like this trade a lot, the Pens defintiely made out like bandits.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Shero has to have another big player up his sleeve (on the RW).

I'm happy to get Whitney's $4m off the books but I'm "meh" on this trade.

Kunitz is an ok player. He plays hard. He's not going to bring Oates/Hull magic for Crosby but if Shero can get a decent RW next, I can see where Kunitz's value to Sid's line greatly increases.

Kunitz is a complimentary player.

I'd be shocked if this is Shero's last move.

Keep in mind that Shero isn't just building for now. It is possible that RW won't come until the summer during free agency.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Whit is officially removed from the team roster.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Shero filled a hole in the top 6, taking on a 29 year old 25 goal man. He gave up someone whose value is at its lowest point, a 26 year old defenseman coming off an injury whose confidence is shot. To me, that doesn't keep with Shero's mantra, that they're not going to make deals just to qualify for the playoffs this year.

Tangradi will make or break this deal, and without getting into the stats/scouts debate, there's no certainty that he'll ever make an impact in the NHL, and if he does, we're 2-3 years from that.

I don't think anyone would disagree that he moved Whitney at his lowest value and that's always bad business.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm

DelPen wrote:This was a good trade. Whitney dragged his value down this year but I like Kunitz, I think he'll be a good fit with Crosby and will provide balance if Satan is on the other wing.

This Tangradi kid is also a very good pickup. We are struglling for talented forwards in the system.

That's the key here. God bless Nathan Moon, but we missed out on 120 better players last year. Tangradi provdes a genuine presence to the system that we didn't have.

CPZ is a power guy, but Tangradi is different. He's more of the traditional type.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm

KG wrote:
I'm saying you could have Malone and then deal Whitney for a goal scoring forward...Now you have Kunitz with no Malone and no Whitney...

That's what I'm saying too. Or hang on to Whitney until his value increases.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby hbysmd on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Crosby missed practice today....he took Kunitz out for lunch
hbysmd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

pfim wrote:Shero filled a hole in the top 6, taking on a 29 year old 25 goal man. He gave up someone whose value is at its lowest point, a 26 year old defenseman coming off an injury whose confidence is shot. To me, that doesn't keep with Shero's mantra, that they're not going to make deals just to qualify for the playoffs this year.

Tangradi will make or break this deal, and without getting into the stats/scouts debate, there's no certainty that he'll ever make an impact in the NHL, and if he does, we're 2-3 years from that.

I don't think anyone would disagree that he moved Whitney at his lowest value and that's always bad business.

It's really about perspective. I guess it depends on what you thought about Ryan Whitney.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CKA24 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Jesse wrote:I've watch Tangradi play about 15 times in Belleville. Did you? Probably not. You'd rather dig up your "empirical data" than actually discuss what kids do ON THE ICE. Tangradi was a long shot to even MAKE the WJC last year. He certainly didn't have a good tournament. But screw it, let's forget everything the kid did on the ice that year in Belleville and focus on that tournament.

The kid has NHL tools. Ask anyone that has seen him play. He's a 6'4, 221 lb wing that has been putting his game together more and more. The coaching staff in Belleville has done an awesome job with this kid. It's not my fault you'd rather read Mirtle's data on age in comparison to NHL success than actually watch kids play hockey and make judgements based on that.

Jesse, would we see Tangradi at WBS for the playoffs (ala Caputi, Jeffrey) after he's done in Jr's this year?
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Jesse wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:I just realized that Tangradi is currently 2nd in OHL scoring... he's 2 points behind Tavares. He's got 38 g and 49a in 52 games.

Yeah but he's 20 so none of that matters.

The thing about him is that we don't have nearly enough size amongst our better prospects, and the two we do have that fit that bill bring a questionable work ethic (Villeux) and questionable skating (which makes Caputi and even bigger ?). This kid does everything well as individual tools, and he was a true power forward for his team last year in the Memorial Cup in every game I watched.

The other thing that I think is missed is that WHITNEY is a huge question mark. He has regressed since two seasons ago, STILL struggles to be consistent (unless consistently BAD counts) and he is not a rookie. This is not Niklas Lidstrom with the puck on his stick, and he is more like Nicole Lidstrom without it.

When he was on our team, we hated him and his lackadaisical, frightened bunny approach to the defensive zone. He is most DEFINITELY not a sure thing to ever be what he was hoped to be. Kunitz is a bankable, although un-spectacular player for today, and Tangradi is a "could be" who lacks only the one good NHL year on his resume that Whitney has.

It's critical to consider that moving into next year's draft, we stand little chance of finding a power-forward prospect that will be closer to "ready" than Tangradi as well - which accelerates the plans for leveraging Crosby and Malkin 3 seasons down the road while they are still under contract. It's a better shot at the winger for one of them than anyone we had - including Caputi.
Last edited by The Snapshot on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lgpen30f987 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

KG wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I'm just saying...

His cap hit is $4.5MM...fine...$4.25MM??

Actually Kunitx cap hit is only 3.25 and whitney's hit would have been 5.00 and 5.50 in the last two years. so you are ctually saving around 2 mill
lgpen30f987
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

pfim wrote:Shero filled a hole in the top 6, taking on a 29 year old 25 goal man. He gave up someone whose value is at its lowest point, a 26 year old defenseman coming off an injury whose confidence is shot. To me, that doesn't keep with Shero's mantra, that they're not going to make deals just to qualify for the playoffs this year.

But when we have Gonchar for another year and Letang and Gogo already much better defensively than Whitney and not far, if at all, behind offensively Whitney was an expensive luxary. Whitney blew this year and we are better off now with Kunitz and Gogo in the lineup then say Minard and Whitney.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Guess they thought Whitney's value might not be high enough fast enough.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Ron` wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

He comes back to the Ducks off waivers and lands with some pretty darn good linemates. Key here is line mates. He's a complimentary player. That's why I see an energy guy that is overpaid in Kunitz, but hey that's my opinion.

But an energy guy that can score 50 points isn't exactly a bad pickup for a team completely lacking wingers with scoring ability.

I mean, it's not like we're looking at a one-dimensional softy who scores 50 points. Kunitz brings a bit to the table: grit, speed, and some offense.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:19 pm

pfim wrote:I don't think anyone would disagree that he moved Whitney at his lowest value and that's always bad business.

But how long do we wait for him to be at his highest value? It could go either way. Whitney could have gone past that "maybe a change of scenery will do him some good" boundary.

I think Shero did the right move at the right time. Gogo is NHL ready... why wait?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Ducks @ Boston tonight. Sneaky, sneaky.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lw27 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm

i tend to like this trade as I think the development of Letang and Goligoski have made Whitney expendable. And if Kunitz is able to play in front of the net and throw some screens i'm all for that. Too many times on the PP are all 5 Pens players standing 10 feet away from the goal while shots are being taken.
lw27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Jesse wrote:Ducks @ Boston tonight. Sneaky, sneaky.

Very :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins