Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Postby neophool on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:32 pm

when i got the text, i got a sick feeling in my stomach.

i was always of the opinion that you don't trade whitney unless its part of a deal to get a true proven 1rst line winger for Sid/malkin, even if it means giving up staal too or letang/goligoski.

high risk, low reward trade for us. low risk, high reward trade for Anaheim.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Whitney has a huge upside and will be a huge bargain if he bounces back next season.

i'm not sure it's possible to "bounce back" if he was never that good to begin with. looking at his epic 59 point year...everyone's stats were inflated by the insane amount of PP time we had that year. and other than his point totals, he wasn't really that impressive. he was still playing the "potential" card.

He was tied for 7th in even strength points for a defenseman that year.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm loving this interview with Tangradi!!! He sounds like he really likes playing it gritty, no allusions of being a finesse player. I like it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Mike99 wrote:with Kunitz here now does this mean the end of Sykora at the end of the season? i sure hope not, Sykora is one of my favorite players in the league. i loved him in New Jersey, Anaheim, New York, etc.

Nah, I don't see them resigning Satan, Boucher and Gill so there'll be room.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Mike99 wrote:with Kunitz here now does this mean the end of Sykora at the end of the season? i sure hope not, Sykora is one of my favorite players in the league. i loved him in New Jersey, Anaheim, New York, etc.

I think Sykora still sticks. We need 4 players in the top 6. And we can't afford them all to be $4M guys. So Sykora likely sticks around if he gives the Pens a deal.

I think the more intriguing question is does this mean Satan moves back into the top 6? He was ineffective b/c there was no one on the other side to help Sid with the dirty work and be a scoring threat. Kunitz does the dirty work and can score. Does this make Satan more effective?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Cosmo_kramer wrote:I've been reading the Ducks (Hockeysfuture) board, and everyone of them is stating how they're upset that Kunitz is gone because no one works as hard as he does and they don't think they have anyone who would replace him as their top winger. And opposing teams are posting saying they're glad Kunitz is gone because they won't have to face him regularly anymore.

Grain of salt with that sentiment: same thing was said/is said about Cooke and while he's certainly been pretty game, he hasn't been the whirlwind of space-creating/front-of-the-net-pwning brilliance that several of his supporters in Washington, Vancouver and here have said about him. Kunitz and Cooke are pretty different players, of course, but I always get wary when the "hard work" angle is so prominent.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:36 pm

pfim wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Whitney has a huge upside and will be a huge bargain if he bounces back next season.

i'm not sure it's possible to "bounce back" if he was never that good to begin with. looking at his epic 59 point year...everyone's stats were inflated by the insane amount of PP time we had that year. and other than his point totals, he wasn't really that impressive. he was still playing the "potential" card.

He was tied for 7th in even strength points for a defenseman that year.

well i stand by this: "and other than his point totals, he wasn't really that impressive"

his stats were greater than his ability, which does happen from time to time.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:37 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:
André wrote:

Nah, I don't see them resigning Satan, Boucher and Gill so there'll be room.

gill is next to go. serves no purpose on this team.

I actually think that the 3rd line roles are getting crowded. If anyone moves, it might be one of those guys. Especially since DB seems to like Minard.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stevo on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Tangradi is 20 years old 6.4 225
38 goals 87 points in 52 games
Sweet Geebus!!!!
Between him and caputi i think we may have the power forwards covered for years to come. However, this year is starting to seem more and more like a wash year.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Stevo wrote:Tangradi is 20 years old 6.4 225
38 goals 87 points in 52 games
Sweet Geebus!!!!
Between him and caputi i think we may have the power forwards covered for years to come. However, this year is starting to seem more and more like a wash year.

I don't think so. Two things that were killing was was Whitney on defense and the PP screwing up an the lack of physical play on offense. Trading Whitney for Kunitz solves both those problems.

We are a better team now than yesterday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stevo on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Minard was put on waviers.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Eismann wrote:
Cosmo_kramer wrote:I've been reading the Ducks (Hockeysfuture) board, and everyone of them is stating how they're upset that Kunitz is gone because no one works as hard as he does and they don't think they have anyone who would replace him as their top winger. And opposing teams are posting saying they're glad Kunitz is gone because they won't have to face him regularly anymore.

Grain of salt with that sentiment: same thing was said/is said about Cooke and while he's certainly been pretty game, he hasn't been the whirlwind of space-creating/front-of-the-net-pwning brilliance that several of his supporters in Washington, Vancouver and here have said about him. Kunitz and Cooke are pretty different players, of course, but I always get wary when the "hard work" angle is so prominent.

While reading a lot of the descriptions posted here about Kunitz, I was asking myself, what, is this another Matt Cooke? I hope not. Not that I don't like Cookie, but we need something more.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ShipHockey7 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:48 pm

bhaw wrote:I actually think that the 3rd line roles are getting crowded. If anyone moves, it might be one of those guys. Especially since DB seems to like Minard.

Maybe but Minard was put on waivers today, Pesonen stayed...found that a bit weird
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:49 pm

ShipHockey7 wrote:
bhaw wrote:I actually think that the 3rd line roles are getting crowded. If anyone moves, it might be one of those guys. Especially since DB seems to like Minard.

Maybe but Minard was put on waivers today, Pesonen stayed...found that a bit weird

Ok, I missed that. I was out of contact all morning and afternoon, so still catching up.

Very weird indeed.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mike99 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:50 pm

ShipHockey7 wrote:

yeah i was think the same thing too. why minard when you could just send peso down without going to waivers or anything. it seems a bit odd
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mike99 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:51 pm

wallace was just recalled and peso sacked
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby imau2fan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:55 pm

I can hear John Barbaro now......"The Pittsburgh goal, his 20th of the season, scored by #14, Chris, Kuuuuuuuuuuuuunitz!"
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm still feeling St Louis could be acquired.

:pop:
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cosmo_kramer on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Eismann wrote:

While reading a lot of the descriptions posted here about Kunitz, I was asking myself, what, is this another Matt Cooke? I hope not. Not that I don't like Cookie, but we need something more.

Kunitz skates better and has a lot more offensive ability than Cooke.

Cooke hasn't scored more than 42 points in his career (his top points totals in 9 seasons are 42 pts, 33 pts, and 30 pts.). Kunitz, meanwhile, if he plays the rest of the season, has never score less than 40 points in a full (60+ games) season his entire career. (He has 41, 60, 50 point seasons). So basically Kunitz = Cooke with more offensive skill
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... id=3937237

Matt Barnaby discussing trade.

Mrs Whitney did have a brain tumor removed and is recovering.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Myriad on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 pm

After reading everyone's opinion in this thread, I have to say that this seems like a good trade for the Pens. Sure, we're giving up a player with potential in Whitney, but like others have said, we're already pretty set at d. What we were lacking (and you can see it in a bunch of games this year) is a top six power winger. While it's a fair point to ask why RS didn't shoot for Malone harder, I think it's pretty hard to guess that the team would turn out as soff as it did this year. Whit may well turn into a high scoring dman, but with Gonch, Tanger, and Gogo I don't think it will hurt the Pens in the long run as much as this team's lack of grit will. In any case, I trust that Shero knows more than we do, and will make the right choices for the Pens.
Myriad
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby heshootsandscores on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:34 pm

braylax7 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
PensFanBryan wrote:I feel bad for Whit. He really liked it in Pittsburgh. And seemed poised, even at the age of 26 to finish his career here.

Nobody, outside a very select few, ever finish their career with the team that drafted them.

For a good examply Gretzky... good point...

But Mario did! :wink:
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:36 pm

heshootsandscores wrote:
But Mario did! :wink:

Lemieux came out of retirement, played for the Pens a year and a half, then was promptly trade to WBS, who played the rest of the next few years for the Penguins.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:37 pm

Also, Whitney's mother did have health issues.
From Empty Netters:

UPDATE: Ryan Whitney's absence from last night's game was legit. According to ESPN.com, his mother underwent brain surgery to have a tumor removed. Quite a 24 hours for him.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins