Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Postby Mike99 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:I'm still feeling St Louis could be acquired.

:pop:

i think so too or someone of his caliber. i just think its going to be hard to get him to waive his ntc.
Mike99
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:52 pm

Cosmo_kramer wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:While reading a lot of the descriptions posted here about Kunitz, I was asking myself, what, is this another Matt Cooke? I hope not. Not that I don't like Cookie, but we need something more.

Kunitz skates better and has a lot more offensive ability than Cooke.

Cooke hasn't scored more than 42 points in his career (his top points totals in 9 seasons are 42 pts, 33 pts, and 30 pts.). Kunitz, meanwhile, if he plays the rest of the season, has never score less than 40 points in a full (60+ games) season his entire career. (He has 41, 60, 50 point seasons). So basically Kunitz = Cooke with more offensive skill

Thanks for that, Cosmo. So basically we traded Larry Murphy for Rick Tocchet and Kevin Stevens? I'm down with that. :P
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joe on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:58 pm

A shocking but nice move by shero. It's a shame whitney did not work out here. When he first came onto the scene he was lights out.

Something happened to him. Whether it was injury or trying to justify his contract he never was the player he was when he started.

Shero acquired two players for him. Don't move about either one, but i trust shero.
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jerez on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 pm

penny lane wrote:Mrs Whitney did have a brain tumor removed and is recovering.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for Mrs. Whitney.

Ryan, good luck in your career. You were an important part of this team for quite a while, and we'll miss you. Hopefully this trade will be a great fit for you.
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby crayz on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:28 pm

too bad Kunitz isn't a RH shot !
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 pm

crayz wrote:too bad Kunitz isn't a RH shot !

That's what she said.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby duke66 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 pm

ShipHockey7 wrote:
bhaw wrote:I actually think that the 3rd line roles are getting crowded. If anyone moves, it might be one of those guys. Especially since DB seems to like Minard.

Maybe but Minard was put on waivers today, Pesonen stayed...found that a bit weird

...probably for that horrendous back pass attempt to staal last nite, when he had a breakaway to the net...dumb...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 pm

I have a feeling this is just the first shoe to drop.

I cannot see Shero dealing Whitney a week before the deadline UNLESS he wants the new player(s) to get some time to gel during the coming roadtrip. Be that the case, my belief is (based upon nothing but gut instinct, so I have no mythical 'sources') that Shero will likely (in the next day or so) deal Staal and some spare parts (Gil, Satan, maybe even Sykora or Fedotenko) to lessen the cap strain and get a TRUE stud winger (think St. Louis, Heatley, or Kovalchuk) and a banger on the blueline.

Just a gut feeling...flame if you must. I think that IF Shero didn't feel that this team could make a reasonable run in the playoffs, he would have sat on Whitney until the offseason.
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:00 pm

So does this mean that Gonchar retires a Penguin? They can't start talking to him until July 1, right?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:I have a feeling this is just the first shoe to drop.

I cannot see Shero dealing Whitney a week before the deadline UNLESS he wants the new player(s) to get some time to gel during the coming roadtrip. Be that the case, my belief is (based upon nothing but gut instinct, so I have no mythical 'sources') that Shero will likely (in the next day or so) deal Staal and some spare parts (Gil, Satan, maybe even Sykora or Fedotenko) to lessen the cap strain and get a TRUE stud winger (think St. Louis, Heatley, or Kovalchuk) and a banger on the blueline.

Just a gut feeling...flame if you must. I think that IF Shero didn't feel that this team could make a reasonable run in the playoffs, he would have sat on Whitney until the offseason.

Agree 100%. This seems like the first of a series of moves to try and make the Pens a Cup contender for this season. Whitney has been bad for sure, but he was considered part of the core. Now that it has been broken up and the fact Shero sold Whitney at an all time low (I think even the Whitney detractors would agree with that), I think Shero (Lemieux) is focused on winning this season. If Shero weren't focused on this season, it would have made sense to let Whitney train/rehab/condition over the summer, get his mental state in order, get off to a strong start next season, then sell him when his value was higher.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Pitts wrote:"Never seen a guy fan on shots and miss open nets more than Kunitz and get to play with so amny great linemates.."

Uh-oh ... doesn't sound too good.

Got that from the Ducks fan board.

all this talk about Ducks fans and their fan forum has me laughing.
I live in san diego and have been to many ducks games to root for whoever the ducks are playing...
"ducks fans"arent the most intelligent of hockey fans. Sorry but it did have to be said.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 'Guins Win! on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Reason Minard was waived.........

Kunitz wore #14 in ANA.

Also, saw a few Kunitz fights on Youtube (Avery, Zidlicky, Burns)
'Guins Win!
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby theAmbassador on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 pm

marek wrote:
Pitts wrote:"Never seen a guy fan on shots and miss open nets more than Kunitz and get to play with so amny great linemates.."

Uh-oh ... doesn't sound too good.

Got that from the Ducks fan board.

So he will fit perfectly with the rest of the linemates Crosby has had :P

I sure hope that's not the case though
theAmbassador
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joker10277 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 pm

So I'm wondering if the deal was agreed to yesterday and Whitney went to boston so the ducks could get their own doctor to check out his foot. Just seems strange he goes to Boston and is traded the next day to a team that is playing there. Just a theory, really doesn't matter either way. Also, I guess the 3 way deal with Colorado and LA is done now...........lol
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joker10277 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:14 pm

'Guins Win! wrote:Reason Minard was waived.........

Kunitz wore #14 in ANA.

Also, saw a few Kunitz fights on Youtube (Avery, Zidlicky, Burns)

I doubt they would waive him for that, they would just give Kunitz 14..................no big loss either way.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MicP on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Draftnik wrote:

Agree 100%. This seems like the first of a series of moves to try and make the Pens a Cup contender for this season. Whitney has been bad for sure, but he was considered part of the core. Now that it has been broken up and the fact Shero sold Whitney at an all time low (I think even the Whitney detractors would agree with that), I think Shero (Lemieux) is focused on winning this season. If Shero weren't focused on this season, it would have made sense to let Whitney train/rehab/condition over the summer, get his mental state in order, get off to a strong start next season, then sell him when his value was higher.

It's not a given as you suggest that Whitney would play any better next year. Thus his value could sink lower because of poor performance over a longer period of time.
MicP
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Draftnik wrote:

Agree with both Abe and Draftnik.

RS is probably under some major pressure to get the ship righted again.

There is no doubt that Kunitz is a heart/soul kind of guy. This trade told me that Shero wants this team to be harder and tougher to play against.

The next person I think that's out of here is Gill. I think Gill will be replaced by a guy like Zanon or Witt.

If Shero doesn't want to trade Staal, it could mean taking a chance on Gaborik depending on how his March 3rd physical goes, or Havlat, or Antropov.

Tampa may trade St. Louis to us but they would be forced to take on Satan for salary cap reasons. Not sure why TB would want Staal either since they have Lecavalier, Stamkos, and a shot at Tavares, Duchesne, Kane, etc.

I doubt they are going to trade for Kovalchuk unless Fedotenko is moved. They'd have too many LWers at that point.

It's up in the air at this point but I don't think RS is done.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby hbysmd on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Whitney is in the line up tonight...interesting
hbysmd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:21 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Thanks for that, Cosmo. So basically we traded Larry Murphy for Rick Tocchet and Kevin Stevens? I'm down with that. :P

Come on... Larry Murphy could actually play defense, and he wasn't so deathly afraid of physical contact that he couldn't play the puck in the defensive zone...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:So does this mean that Gonchar retires a Penguin? They can't start talking to him until July 1, right?

I think it's more likely now and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Coming into the season with his injury, I felt that if Whitney, Letang, and Goligoski stepped it up, Gonchar wouldn't be missed and it would set the team up for life after Gonchar. Obviously, that wasn't the case. Whitney struggled worse than ever, Goligoski is still very green, and while Letang is improving, he still has a lot of developing to do. Meanwhile, Gonchar comes back and immediately shows how valuable he is. I think he's got several good years left in him after next season. He seems to be happy here, so hopefully he is agreeable to stay at something that works for the team. If they can get him to stay and make it work under the cap, that makes Whitney's absense a wash... now, hopefully what they got for him in this trade also isn't a wash.

BTW, the Pens' site has Minard's number as 18 now... he already handed over his number to Kunitz regardless.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MicP on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:23 pm

hbysmd wrote:Whitney is in the line up tonight...interesting

Don't be surprised if Kunitz is in the Pens lineup tomorrow. :?
MicP
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:24 pm

MicP wrote:

He is gonna be dressed for the game tomorrow night...per the Pens site and the post-gazette.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theAmbassador on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 pm

MicP wrote:

I read that he is on a flight to Chicago...
theAmbassador
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:27 pm

uh...he better be in the line up tomorrow
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:28 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cull ... dlines_nhl

Scott Cullen mentions here that Tangradi has already signed his entry level deal. If this is true that is great, one less thing to worry about and lose this kid to go back in the draft.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins