Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Whitney traded to Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi

Postby centralPAPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:00 pm

By all accounts he either does NOT want to play wing, or is just unable to perform well outside of the center position.

I see the point Abe but my question is has he ever REALLY been TAUGHT wing?..Simply throwing him there for a few shifts or a game or two does not constitute teaching him a new position, especially at this level.

I can see the "Trade Staal" idea, and for the right return I am open to it, but taking an offseason and training camp to at least teach him the position of wing before trading him would at the very least allow the Pens to exhaust every option on him.

By teaching I don't mean from square one, but learning a new position takes time, time that is NOT available during the season. I just haven't seen enough of him on a wing to be satisfied he can't play there.

And as far as him "not wanting" to play wing, if he starts scoring goals and his point total starts going up, he will LEARN to like it happily.
centralPAPen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:Wow, Lucic is a dirty player.

He was drilling punches to the side of Mike Browns head while he was sitting on the ice.

This game is getting very dirty and everything is being called in favor of boston.

Brown had his glove off first and punched Lucic before he dropped his gloves.

Made me wish we drafted Lucic...he's Rick Tocchet reincarnated.

Yeah but he couldve waited til brown got up to fight. Not through bombs at Browns ear while hes sitting on the ice not able to defend himself.

But tough guy Lucic took advantage of him.

Parros is tough man. I like him

Sorry man. Someone tries to sucker punch me, the adrenaline would take over and I'd try to pummel the guy.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby rosey6629 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Jesse wrote:I've watch Tangradi play about 15 times in Belleville. Did you? Probably not. You'd rather dig up your "empirical data" than actually discuss what kids do ON THE ICE. Tangradi was a long shot to even MAKE the WJC last year. He certainly didn't have a good tournament. But screw it, let's forget everything the kid did on the ice that year in Belleville and focus on that tournament.

The kid has NHL tools. Ask anyone that has seen him play. He's a 6'4, 221 lb wing that has been putting his game together more and more. The coaching staff in Belleville has done an awesome job with this kid. It's not my fault you'd rather read Mirtle's data on age in comparison to NHL success than actually watch kids play hockey and make judgements based on that.

Seriously, save the personal insults. You have no idea who I am or how much hockey I watch. I watched several Team USA games and Tangradi was less than a non-factor in his last year of WJC eligibility. Why are you so emotional about this? Data is something I use because it is objective and can be quantified. I've had ExpressVu since the Nimiq satellite was launched in 1998. I've watched the WJC, OHL, and Memorial Cup every year since then. I've had Center Ice since 1995. I've been a Pens STH since 92, and watched NHL hockey on CBC and other Canadian channels since the 70s. I didn't wait for the Internet to watch JR hockey. I've been watching JR hockey, the OHL, WHL, QMJHL, Memorial Cup, etc since you probably were in grade school. I didn't wait for Cable to get Center Ice, I bought a satellite dish. I didn't wait for the Internet to watch TSN, Sportsnet, CBC, etc, I bought another Satellite dish and set up address in Hamilton, ON so I could watch CDN TV while living in PGH. When I watch JR hockey it is on a large screen, HD (Memorial Cup, WJC, etc) and I can rewind it an infinite # of times on the PVR to watch it at my convenience, see how players perform in slow motion, etc. I have my ExpressVu PVR set to record Tavares vs. Moon on Sunday at 3PM. Do you? I didn't think so. I doubt there are many people that go to greater lengths to watch hockey than I do. I don't whine like a baby because ESPN doesn't show hockey on SC. When I watch SC it is on TSN so it is wall to wall hockey. I could go on and on, but what is the point? You know I don't watch hockey and all I do is pull stats from Mirtle. :roll: It wasn't even Mirtle that did the analysis by the way, it was Gabe Desjardins.

I watched Kunitz play in all the Ducks Cup finals and Conference finals games and most of the games in the 2 rounds before that. My opinions on him and Tangradi are not only based on stats. I doubt there are many people posting in this thread that even heard about Tangradi before this trade, much less watched him play. Why do you have to act like them? Grow a thicker skin, it isn't a personal insult because somebody disagrees with you. Respect the rules of the forum.

:roll:
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:31 pm

Lucic was out of line there. He hit Brown 5 to 10 times while he was on the ice. Brown wasn't even the guy that cross checked him. That kind of behavior will come back to haunt Lucic some day. If he doesn't show other players respect he won't get any back and it is only a matter of time until he is on the opposite end of some kind of cheap shotting action.

How annoying is Jack Edwards? He is at the top of my most annoying homer announcer list.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rosey6629 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 pm

How difficult was it to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs in 2007?
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mjg on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 pm

offsides wrote:I see they are losing 3 - 0. Is he a minus yet??

It's 6-0 but Whitney is even on the night.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maagwa on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 pm

mjg wrote:

Holy cow.
Maagwa

Postby Kicksave on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:37 pm

Draftnik wrote:That kind of behavior will come back to haunt Lucic some day.

Cam Neely, meet Ulf Samuelsson.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 pm

mjg wrote:

This game has been a real lopsided affair but I can't stop watching it because I'm waiting for what nasty stuff happens next. The Ducks aren't the kind of team to go out quietly and without their own share of thuggery.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 pm

mjg wrote:

I guess he just needed a change of scenery.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 pm

The Ducks played like a team waiting for the other shoe to drop tonight.. The Pronger and Niedermayer trade rumors have them wondering if they are trying to win this season. They need the trade deadline to pass so they can focus on the rest of the season.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
mjg wrote:

I guess he just needed a change of scenery.

Or playing wih Chris Pronger.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Maagwa on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 pm

DelPen wrote:Or playing wih Chris Pronger.

+1
Maagwa

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Maagwa wrote:
DelPen wrote:Or playing wih Chris Pronger.

+1

That is just silly.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby centralPAPen on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm

The Ducks played like a team waiting for the other shoe to drop tonight.. The Pronger and Niedermayer trade rumors have them wondering if they are trying to win this season. They need the trade deadline to pass so they can focus on the rest of the season.

Draftnik, do you think the Ducks will undergo a major change in philosophy now that Burke is gone?..trading Kunitz, who to me is a "Burke kind of guy" signals the beginning of the end of that way of life. Though Pronger could be moved and Whitney might be protection against losing several D-men. I just wonder if the culture there will or is going to change.
centralPAPen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Firebird on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Facing the prospect of missing the playoffs after appearing in last year's Stanely Cup Finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins tried to rekindle last year's magic by acquiring another scoring wing for Sidney Crosby. It may not be Marian Hossa, but it's a move that our simulations say will help the Pens' playoff push.

With the NHL trade deadline less than a week away, Pittsburgh sent young defenseman Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for winger Chris Kunitz and prospect Eric Tangradi.

Having already tallied 16 goals, Kunitz gives the Penguins a winger to pair with Crosby, something the team has been struggling with since watching Marian Hossa leave via free agency before the season, after acquiring Hossa at the deadline last year. Since Hossa left, the Penguins have tried options like Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko, but can't seem to find a winger to mesh with their superstar center.

Code: Select all
AccuScore has simulated the remainder of the season 10,000 times with Kunitz on the Penguins, and shows a favorable impact.

Penguins Rest of Season
 Simulating Pittsburgh's record with Chris Kunitz.

Scenario Wins Pts. Playoff %
Pre-Trade 10.2 22.0 42.6%
W/ Kunitz 11.4 23.5 50.0%
Difference +1.2 +1.5 +7.4%

In simulations, Kunitz gives the Penguins a boost that could land them in the postseason. Pittsburgh was making the playoffs in 42.6 percent of simulations, but thanks to an extra 1.5 points in simulations with Kunitz, the Penguins now have a 50 percent chance of making the post-season. Of course, the simulations assume that Kunitz and Crosby will have good chemistry together, and as we've seen with Satan and Fedotenko this season, that's not a guarantee.

In terms of improving their playoff chances, the move is questionable for the Ducks, currently tied for the West's eighth and final playoff spot. Not only do they give up a winger who is under contract for a few more years, but they also give up a young power forward prospect, and in return they get an offensive-defenseman in Ryan Whitney.

At the moment Whitney's talents aren't a dire need, given the presence of Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger on the roster. As is, the trade only improves the Ducks' playoff chances by 1.1 percent. However, that could change if Anaheim decides to deal one of its two veterans before the deadline. Until then, we'll be curiously waiting for the other shoe to drop.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insider/ ... id=3937404
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Soon5one4 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Has anyone seen any statements/interviews from Kunitz? We've already heard from Tangradi and Whitney, but nothing from Kunitz. Do you think he made the trip to Chicago today so he can participate in the morning skate tomorrow and potentially play tomorrow night? With Minard and Pesonen down and Wallace up, I would hope they were planning on Kunitz playing tomorrow.
Last edited by Soon5one4 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soon5one4
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Firebird on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:06 pm

Soon5one4 wrote:Has anyone seen any statements/interviews from Kunitz? We've already heard from Tangradi and Whitney, but nothing from Whitney. Do you think he made the trip to Pittsburgh today so he can participate in the morning skate tomorrow and potentially play tomorrow night? With Minard and Pesonen down and Wallace up, I would hope they were planning on Kunitz playing tomorrow.

noway he won't play tomorrow.

he was probably in boston anyway.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IronDukes37 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Soon5one4 wrote:Has anyone seen any statements/interviews from Kunitz? We've already heard from Tangradi and Whitney, but nothing from Whitney. Do you think he made the trip to Pittsburgh today so he can participate in the morning skate tomorrow and potentially play tomorrow night? With Minard and Pesonen down and Wallace up, I would hope they were planning on Kunitz playing tomorrow.

Kunitz was flying to Chicago this afternoon. I'm sure he'll play tomorrow.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 pm

can't wait til tomorrow...really looking forward to playing the Blackhawks...hopefully Crosby plays
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Firebird wrote:

noway he won't play tomorrow.

he was probably in boston anyway.

Yeah, he was in Boston - he received the news of the trade at the end of the morning skate. I thought I heard somewhere that he later flew to Chicago? That doesn't necessarily mean he's playing, and I can't recall where I heard/read that...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:15 pm

centralPAPen wrote:

Draftnik, do you think the Ducks will undergo a major change in philosophy now that Burke is gone?..trading Kunitz, who to me is a "Burke kind of guy" signals the beginning of the end of that way of life. Though Pronger could be moved and Whitney might be protection against losing several D-men. I just wonder if the culture there will or is going to change.

Bob Murray is kind of an old school guy like Burke so I don't think they will go soft. Murray has picked up some tough guys like Brown and Brookbank. Burke picked up MA Bergeron (a year or 2 ago) and Hedican this season so the Ducks have acquired some non-aggressive Dmen in the past. Niedermayer could be going back to NJ at the deadline, could retire, could sign elsewhere as an UFA next season. Pronger has been rumored to be on the block as well. This move seems like Whitney will backfill for one of those guys being moved, although obviously not filling anything close to the toughness provided by Pronger.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Soon5one4 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Also, I like anyone that does this to Sean Avery, and then gets him to drop the gloves later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moP83TAHMFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYxHzVGV26M
Soon5one4
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 pm

penny lane wrote:Ducks GM saying he's been working on this trade for about a month. :o

Kunitz has been a warrior for the ducks; done it all for them. Emotional to let him go.

That's funny. At the press conference Shero said that this all just came together this morning :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins