Center Ice question

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Center Ice question

Postby Steve on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:39 pm

Does anyone else notice that some of the games on Center Ice are so bad, that they are barely watchable? (i.e. the rangers/flyers game this afternoon was so blurry).

I don't want to complain too much, because i'm thrilled to be able to watch any game I want, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

currently, I'm using Adelphia in Maryland, but I also noticed the same thing on two different cable companies when I lived in Minnesota.

Is it just bad feeds, or are cable companies just assigning some of these games to low bandwith channels. (or whatever)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,674
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Agreed

Postby TRazzy66 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:53 pm

That Ranger Flyer game was horrible. Not as bad as a Pens-Devils (I think) game earlier in the season though.
TRazzy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Kennedy Twp, PA

Re: Center Ice question

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:57 pm

Steve wrote:Does anyone else notice that some of the games on Center Ice are so bad, that they are barely watchable? (i.e. the rangers/flyers game this afternoon was so blurry).

I don't want to complain too much, because i'm thrilled to be able to watch any game I want, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

currently, I'm using Adelphia in Maryland, but I also noticed the same thing on two different cable companies when I lived in Minnesota.

Is it just bad feeds, or are cable companies just assigning some of these games to low bandwith channels. (or whatever)


As someone who works in the cable industry I can tell you that it is very likely that no more than 4 of those channels are sharing the same frequency and none of the frequecies will will be much higher than the others. It isnt possible for low signal strength to casue bluriness although if it is always the same channel numbers that are blurry it could be something at the head end that needs to be smacked. The effects of signal strength that is not in range is "tileing" which is when the digital image freezes into puzzle peices. Most likely this problem is a result of that particular stations feed and it would'nt hurt to email that station directly or email Center Ice or both. If it's always the same Center Ice channel tell your cable company.
NIN
 

Re: Center Ice question

Postby Ginger on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:50 am

NIN wrote:
As someone who works in the cable industry I can tell you that it is very likely that no more than 4 of those channels are sharing the same frequency and none of the frequecies will will be much higher than the others. It isnt possible for low signal strength to casue bluriness although if it is always the same channel numbers that are blurry it could be something at the head end that needs to be smacked. The effects of signal strength that is not in range is "tileing" which is when the digital image freezes into puzzle peices. Most likely this problem is a result of that particular stations feed and it would'nt hurt to email that station directly or email Center Ice or both. If it's always the same Center Ice channel tell your cable company.


I've noticed it's certain feeds; the MSG NETWORK from NYC is really glassy & someone here at Cox said it was because it's in HD & if you don't have HD you get a glassy picture, particularly after it's passed thru' a few other networks to get to you. I couldn't argue that, but thought I'd pass it along for discussion.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Postby NIN on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:29 am

That narrows it down to a probable cause, I havent seen or even heard of that occuring at my office yet.
NIN
 

Postby Peter on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:47 am

I agree. I'm much more inclined to watch NBC or OLN than a local feed, simply because of the camera quality. Even FSN Pittsburgh seems dark and dreary at times.
Peter
 

Postby NIN on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:57 am

Peter wrote:I agree. I'm much more inclined to watch NBC or OLN than a local feed, simply because of the camera quality. Even FSN Pittsburgh seems dark and dreary at times.


Are you sure that just isnt the score thats setting the mood? :wink:

To me FSNs camera work is always such a distraction that I havent noticed anything else during HD broadcasts. It certainly wouldnt surprise me considering how new the technology still is. IM sure there is a filter that could clear that picture up for analog and digital.
NIN
 


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

e-mail