Conflicting info on Mario's absence yesterday...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Conflicting info on Mario's absence yesterday...

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:43 pm

On the game broadcast, they said he was not there because he Austin had a hockey game. However, in today's PG, the story says he was on his way to the Super Bowl.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06036/650448.stm
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Bowser on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Big surprise.

The Penguins have been doing a horrible job in this process and when they've got an important rally assembled, Lemieux can't make it.

Great timing Morehouse!
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,960
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Re: Conflicting info on Mario's absence yesterday...

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 pm

netwolf wrote:On the game broadcast, they said he was not there because he Austin had a hockey game. However, in today's PG, the story says he was on his way to the Super Bowl.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06036/650448.stm


Simple, he was on his way to the Super Bowl after Austin's hockey game. During the broadcast, he was actually at Austin's hockey game, which makes that info correct. Then, by the time the PG went to press, he was on his way to Detroit.

See, logical. :shock:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby tluke53 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Yes, heaven forbide that he puts his family ahead of hockey.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,590
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: All over the place

Postby Ashamed87 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:07 pm

tluke53 wrote:Yes, heaven forbide that he puts his family ahead of hockey.


Agreed on that one, for someone who put Penguins hockey first for as many years as he did, that should not even be an issue
Ashamed87
 

Postby Bowser on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:09 pm

The issue isn't about Lemieux going to Austin's game, far from it. The issue is the Penguins helping to promote a rally in which Lemieux could not appear.

That is poor planning.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,960
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:14 pm

The only way Lemieux's presence could have helped is if everyone knew ahead of time he was going to be there. If everything was done all over again and the only difference was that Lemieux was up on that stage, there would not have been any more people show up.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Mario doesn't matter anymore

Postby MKRA on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:40 pm

Not on the issue of a new arena, anyway.

If you make this an issue about Mario deserving an arena or the Pens needing an arena, the argument for an arena is not as strong and won't get the necessary public support. There are too many people who do not care and who do not understand the real issues. (This is why Rendell is making this issue a Penguin issue. He hasn't spoken about this issue once without mentioning the hockey team. He wants to make this issue about the Penguins).

The stronger argument is the City's need for a new civic arena and the one time possibility of having one build free of taxpayer money. And that if built at a later date, an arena WILL require taxpayer money AND won't have a major tenant.

This is all very, very logical. It's no longer Mario who needs to speak. He Has has spoken plenty and it hasn't mattered. It's the PUBLIC who needs to be heard now.
MKRA
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Mario doesn't matter anymore

Postby td_ice on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:02 pm

MKRA wrote:Not on the issue of a new arena, anyway.

If you make this an issue about Mario deserving an arena or the Pens needing an arena, the argument for an arena is not as strong and won't get the necessary public support. There are too many people who do not care and who do not understand the real issues. (This is why Rendell is making this issue a Penguin issue. He hasn't spoken about this issue once without mentioning the hockey team. He wants to make this issue about the Penguins).

The stronger argument is the City's need for a new civic arena and the one time possibility of having one build free of taxpayer money. And that if built at a later date, an arena WILL require taxpayer money AND won't have a major tenant.

This is all very, very logical. It's no longer Mario who needs to speak. He Has has spoken plenty and it hasn't mattered. It's the PUBLIC who needs to be heard now.

Well said.

I totally agree.

I never expected Mario to be there, or did I think he should have been. Mario has done all he can, he has spoken out many times, this was about the fans and the local politicians, having their speak.



I am kinda surprised it has been brought up. jmo
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:33 am

Ken sawyer is now the CEO unless I am mistaken. He was at the rally. I do not think it was such a big deal that Mario was not at the rally. Mario has earned some well deserved family time. Whether it was watching Austin's hockey game, or taking the family to the Super Bowl. Who could blame any father for spending quality time with their son?
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,058
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Here or there

Postby Pops16 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:32 am

Bowser wrote:Big surprise.

The Penguins have been doing a horrible job in this process and when they've got an important rally assembled, Lemieux can't make it.

Great timing Morehouse!


Morehouse didn't plan the day.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,444
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:29 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, CottonCandyHere, Eismann, GSdrums87, knives of ice, Luckybreak, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, NashvilleCat, Paul Baxter, Spangler and 37 guests

e-mail