Watching the Steelers makes me realize....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Watching the Steelers makes me realize....

Postby Mountaineer on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 am

just how far the Pens are from respectability. The Steelers are at the top of the NFL, and the toast of Pittsburgh, while the Pens are dead last in the NHL, and the majority of this "tahn" couldn't give a rats ass about what's going on with the Pens. The momentum of Crosby's drafting was quickly erased by their dreadful season, and now with the Steelers having won the Super Bowl, the Pens are nothing more than an afterthought. This is not a rip on the Steelers; I congratulate them. It's a lament for the miserable state in which we Pens fans now find ourselves: cheering for a team that may not be here in two years, let alone win a Stanley Cup.
Mountaineer

Postby ivand87 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:26 am

I know how it feels...

The Pens mean so much to me, they've been a huge part of my life for a long, long time, and I only hope that we can come out of this mess with our heads up high, and a new arena for our beloved 'Guins.

Let's be positive and do everything we can to support our team while it's still here. Pens fans have to show the city that we're still important, and hopefully we'll get that slots license and that arena will be built.

The Penguins' chips are down, but looking across the street, there's a Championship team in town and it makes sense that all the focus is on them.

Go Pens!
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 am

I love the Steelers and I'm so happy for them,esp. Bill Cowher. However,I love the Pens more and watching this city go crazy over the Super Bowl makes me remember and miss just how great it was when the Pens won their second cup in 1992. I miss that. :(
Stevens25

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:45 am

No Steeler thread? OH well we still won! 8) :lol:
NIN

Postby abigFATAss on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:16 am

Kicksave wrote:Mountaineer, why does everything have to be so gloom and doom to you? Why does everything good for the Steelers have to turn into something bad for the Pens. Grow up.

Not that I'm defending Mountaineer, but I kinda see where he's coming from. I just don't agree with his outlook. I was in Jacks when the Steelers won, and I was on Carson Street tonight watching all the fans go nuts.

The main thing on my mind was the Steelers won and I was so happy. But, in the back of my mind, I felt kinda sad for the Penguins who have to watch the people of this city totally ignore them as they slip even moreso down in the NHL standings.

I've come to terms with the fact that Pittsburgh is a football town. No amount of Stanley Cup victories will change that. However, I am still optimistic of the future of the Penguins. Once the Pens get their new arena, all this negativity will go away. Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury will be heading into their primes in the next few years along with a lot of other youngster in our system. It'll all work out.

So, I understand his gripes...just don't agree with his methods.
abigFATAss

Postby Scott on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:02 pm

The Steelers winning last night is great for the Penguins. Although it has nothing to do with them, this win does bring a massive public eye to the city. Furthermore it brings a positive attitude to the area. It is a lot easier to get what you need when someone is in a good mood.

I would much rather take my chances on getting people to back the Pens for the arena being all punch drunk happy over the Steelers winning,,,than if they had lost. That would be gloom and doom hangover for a while.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:25 pm

abigFATAss wrote:But, in the back of my mind, I felt kinda sad for the Penguins who have to watch the people of this city totally ignore them as they slip even moreso down in the NHL standings.

Sadly, it is their own damn fault they are being ignored. The euphoria over the Steelers is somewhat temporary. Give it a couple weeks, and the talk might have turned back to hockey, had the Pens been competitive. The Pens have done nothing to keep the interest of the casual fan. And now, as soon as the football hype dies down, spring training will start, with promise of an improved Pirate team. Why should casual fans care about this team that totally oversold itself this year, and sucked in many of them with intimations of a return to the playoffs? The on-ice product has been abysmal, and that in turn lessens support for a new arena in the general public. I really cannot criticize the casual fans here. It is a hopeless situation for the Pens right now, but one they created for themselves.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:10 pm

The Steelers winning is a good thing for the Pens. This is the perfect illustration of why professional sports teams are a community asset and important for a region. The civic pride and celebration for the Steelers will show this better than any argument Pens fans could make.

As far as the timing goes, the Steelers will be well into their 2006 season, maybe even into the 06/07 playoffs by the time the slots license is awarded. The celebration of this victory will do nothing to take attention away from the slots license when things heat up.

Believe it or not the license will not be awarded this week, month, quarter, half year, or maybe even calendar year.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

good points

Postby rasbatch on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:13 pm

I've always felt that the steeler winning the big one would help the pens not hurt them. It's city of Champions plural not champion singular. I'm also glad NBC mentioned the arena situation and the rally before the Isles game to my recollections 5 or 6 times during the telecast. With all the attention focused pittsburgh way, it's a good time to nudge the pens and their situation up into the spotlight. I'm still amazed they are drawing crowds so well, when better teams are not.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Kicksave wrote:Does the new board have the capabilities to ignore posters?

Mountaineer, why does everything have to be so gloom and doom to you? Why does everything good for the Steelers have to turn into something bad for the Pens. Grow up.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand this guys' drivel. His act is really old :roll:
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby abigFATAss on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:29 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:It is a hopeless situation for the Pens right now, but one they created for themselves.

Well, now, you are definately right. But, in the offseason, when they did make all those acquisitions, I would've disagreed with you. Hindsight is 20/20 in this case. If I offered you a defenseman who led the NHL in points the last time the NHL was playing, one of the best power forwards in the NHL the past 10 years, a consitent 30 goal a year scorer, and a guy you had won 2 Cups with in the past, I don't blame the Penguins for that. But, the fact is, right now, you are right that they oversold themselves.

As for them being hopeless, once again, right now, you are right. I'll offer you this perspective:

Expect the worst. So when it doesn't happen, you feel better.

What I mean by that is, you can think the Penguins are hopeless, now and for the future. But, once the slots licenses are awarded and hopefully the Isle of Capri gets one, all this hopelessness will turn into promise.
abigFATAss

Postby Judy on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Wait a minute. If no one gives a "rat's ass" about the Pens than why are they leading the NHL in increased attendance for the fourth straight month? Why are they filling the Igloo to over 95% capacity? People could be going to see a team that's actually doing well, but the Pens are bringing people in.

I'm not saying this to get anyone riled up, I'm just saying that despite the Steelers media right now that the Pens actually are bringing in quite a few people regardless.
Last edited by Judy on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:20 pm

Judy wrote:Wait a minute. If no one gives a "rat's ass" about the Pens than why are they leading the NHL in increased attendance for the fourth straight month?

It's called "hype-infused pre-season sales". We all knew Patrick has been having a tough time keeping/spotting/training/aquireing talent but nobody thought he could mess this off-season up.

I doubt the masses will be as eager next season which means better seats for me!
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins