Fleury's stick

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fleury's stick

Postby Jim on Wed May 27, 2009 12:34 pm

This question is a little late, but I have not been around much. I ran a search to see if anyone else had discussed this, but I didn't find any threads.

What is up with Fleury and his stick? Over the last, say, 10 games his stick has come out of his hands A LOT. I would wager that it has come lose more over the last 10 games than during the entire regular season. The one time it even went flying through the air as he moved from right to left. He does not appear to be throwing it or anything, it jsut seems like he keeps letting it go or dropping it. Plus, it doesn't seem that it is someone hitting it out of his hands most of the time. It is really odd. Did he hurt his had or something (causing a lack of strength in it)?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Fleury's stick

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed May 27, 2009 12:35 pm

The blade is too flat. He'll never be a goal scorer.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 pm

is there a rule against using two gloves? his stick is pretty worthless anyway, and it might keep his ass in the crease where it belongs.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Maybe his butt end tape isn't ideal ;)
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 pm

ShipHockey7 wrote:Maybe his butt end tape isn't ideal ;)

a post so good it bears repeating. :lol:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 27, 2009 1:03 pm

ShipHockey7 wrote:Maybe his butt end tape isn't ideal ;)

winnar
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed May 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Kaizer wrote:is there a rule against using two gloves? his stick is pretty worthless anyway, and it might keep his ass in the crease where it belongs.

Yeah, then we can give the opponent possession of the puck 100% of the time they dump it in to our end
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lets_Go_Pens71 on Wed May 27, 2009 1:24 pm

His stick is scared and tries to escape at every chance it gets. He bangs it off the goalpost like a police baton bangs on Rodney King.
Lets_Go_Pens71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 27, 2009 1:26 pm

FLOWER POWER = my new nickname for MAF (which really goes along with his gentle personality and his killer play)

Probably inspired by the boatload of hippie music I've been listening to lately.

Dedicated to MAF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefBWhE6VYk&fmt=18
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed May 27, 2009 1:27 pm

I was hoping this would be in response to Racchi's Rug. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Plus it was spelled, capitalized and punctuated correctly - something Racchi's Rug failed at.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 pm

It might have to do with the way Fleury plays the puck...as far as I can tell, he holds the butt end with his blocker and then uses his glove to guide the stick along...obviously, it's very hard to grab a good hold of the stick with the glove just guiding it along...a lot of goalies, believe it or not, have a hand on the butt end and then use their glove "backhanded" on the stick and propel the puck forward with their top hand (the opposite of how a skater would hold the stick - instead of the top hand showing "knuckles" and the bottom hand being "open" ...goalies will go with "knuckles" top and "knuckles" bottom)...

It's kind of hard to describe in a message board (as you can see), but the way Fleury plays it, he is basically only holding onto the butt end with one hand and the glove hand isn't holding the stick at all...making it very easy to lose it, especially when it's knocked or bumped the opposite way of your shooting momentum...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crzymike on Wed May 27, 2009 7:24 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:The blade is too flat. He'll never be a goal scorer.

:lol:
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 pm

I bet Flower gives dead fish handshakes.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu May 28, 2009 10:38 am

Well one person took the thread seriously.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Thu May 28, 2009 11:01 am

mikey287 wrote:It might have to do with the way Fleury plays the puck...as far as I can tell, he holds the butt end with his blocker and then uses his glove to guide the stick along...obviously, it's very hard to grab a good hold of the stick with the glove just guiding it along...a lot of goalies, believe it or not, have a hand on the butt end and then use their glove "backhanded" on the stick and propel the puck forward with their top hand (the opposite of how a skater would hold the stick - instead of the top hand showing "knuckles" and the bottom hand being "open" ...goalies will go with "knuckles" top and "knuckles" bottom)...

It's kind of hard to describe in a message board (as you can see), but the way Fleury plays it, he is basically only holding onto the butt end with one hand and the glove hand isn't holding the stick at all...making it very easy to lose it, especially when it's knocked or bumped the opposite way of your shooting momentum...

a lot of goalies still play the puck the way fleury does and seem to do alright. for me, i'm more worried about his decision making than i am with his mechanics. why does he wait until an opposing player comes within 2 feet of him before he gets rid of the puck. make a damn decision, flower.

as far as using the 'turco method' of handling the puck; i'm all for it and have had much better success using it. again though, there are plenty of top level goalies who do fine with the traditional puck handling mechanics. just not as good as this guy:
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Agreed 100% steelhammer.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tinker on Thu May 28, 2009 1:37 pm

steelhammer wrote:a lot of goalies still play the puck the way fleury does and seem to do alright. for me, i'm more worried about his decision making than i am with his mechanics. why does he wait until an opposing player comes within 2 feet of him before he gets rid of the puck. make a damn decision, flower.

couldn't agree more. If he would just make a decision and get out of the way, his stickhandling wouldn't be a liability at all.

If he gifts DET goals the way he did WAS, that could be the difference between winning and losing.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 pm

When Fleury does that "wait too long" thing, I think he thinks he's being tricky or sneaky...I think it's calculated by him...he thinks he's drawing in a forward behind the net and then use the boards to get that forward caught back there...unfortunately it scares the [pizza] out of me, but I think that's what he's going for...

When he's back there, he knows exactly what he wants to do, and one of the other Pens would have to yell at him to get him to change his mind back there...he has a mindset back there, it's I'm gonna do X when this forward gets within six inches of me and then scurry back to the net...it might not look pretty, nor is it particularly pleasing to our nerves, but I firmly believe it's a plan that he rigged up...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Thu May 28, 2009 3:24 pm

MAF cant give up his stick. thats insane. its used for poke checks, bouncing pucks, covering the 5 hole, bringing it into his himself to cover it....etc.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Thu May 28, 2009 3:29 pm

mikey287 wrote:It might have to do with the way Fleury plays the puck...as far as I can tell, he holds the butt end with his blocker and then uses his glove to guide the stick along...obviously, it's very hard to grab a good hold of the stick with the glove just guiding it along...a lot of goalies, believe it or not, have a hand on the butt end and then use their glove "backhanded" on the stick and propel the puck forward with their top hand (the opposite of how a skater would hold the stick - instead of the top hand showing "knuckles" and the bottom hand being "open" ...goalies will go with "knuckles" top and "knuckles" bottom)...

i had a few coaches that tried to get me into that habit, but i could never feel comfortable without having my glove hand behind the stick... the "lever" action just wasnt comfy or accurate for me...
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 28, 2009 4:59 pm

scals37 wrote:

i had a few coaches that tried to get me into that habit, but i could never feel comfortable without having my glove hand behind the stick... the "lever" action just wasnt comfy or accurate for me...

Yeah, I gave it a try in a couple games and it wasn't pretty...I think I tried to score top chee in just some screwin around game's warm up and wiffed on the puck...not easy to get used to, I'll just stick to doing it the right way...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby isotopes014 on Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 pm

if you were two gloves your five hole would be open the duration of the game and you can't control rebounds....

its his blocker that should be examined if he has lost control of his stick
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Senka on Thu May 28, 2009 7:39 pm

This doesn't help... :pop:
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins