Thinking back to 2003...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Thinking back to 2003...

Postby Jesse on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:35 pm

One of my fondest memories of the "x-generation" season was the emergence of Ryan Malone as a top notch power center.

My mind still recalls memories of Malone taking the puck straight to the house on numerous occasions and playing with a grit and tenacity that carried him to success as an NHL rookie.

Specifically, those memories include the Ottawa Senators. Ryan Malone deked his way to stardom on the aptly named "Ryan Malone Night" two years ago.

And for some reason or another, the Ottawa Senators again woke up the 2003 Ryan Malone.

What I saw in that game, and again against the Islanders, was the old gritty Malone that put the puck between the legs of defenders and bowled the goaltender over on his way to crashing the net. This Ryan Malone was mysteriously absent over the first 45 games of the year, it's nice to have him back.

If Malone has once again found his nitch, and more importantly, found what makes him successful, it's very important for the Penguins. Malone had a large amount of potential, for one reason or another his confidence was drained out. But the last two games I've seen, Malone has reverted back to old form. Good news for us.

Let's hope it lasts. Also, let's hope that Ryan can take down the Juggernaut from Ottawa tonight.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh70 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:58 pm

It's tough to pinpoint why he was so poor earlier in the year. It might have something to do with him not playing much during the lockout. Orpik also suffered for making this decision. It might also have to do with not being the go-to goal scorer at the start of the season, resulting in a lack of confidence.

However, I'm not sold on him being a center. His best work in the offensive zone comes down the wing and along the boards. Also, his defensive zone coverage is a bit spotty. Ideally, I want him to play on Crosby's wing. Crosby needs someone on his line who combines physicality and skill (i.e. not Surovy).

Oh yeah, and Malone on the same line as Leclair is ridiculous. Wake up, MT.
jmh70

Postby wondermoose on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:26 pm

I personally think it was just horrible off season conditioning. That is the deepest seeded problem they've had this year. They just can't match up physically with the other teams of the NHL. Hopefully MT's staff can remedy that this off season and get everyone to thier physical best.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:34 pm

I personally think it was just horrible off season conditioning. That is the deepest seeded problem they've had this year. They just can't match up physically with the other teams of the NHL. Hopefully MT's staff can remedy that this off season and get everyone to thier physical best.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins