Can LeClair play a role on a checking line?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Can LeClair play a role on a checking line?

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Moore and Ruutu seem to be two guys who can fill a role on a real checking line. They're both high energy guys, physical, defensively reponsible, and with enough offensive ability to take a regular shift. Can LeClair play a meaningful role on such a line or will he just hold them back? It would seem that he's pencilled in as a third liner, but I don't know if he'll bring much to what looks to be a high energy checking line. He still has hockey smarts and good hands, but without a doubt is slow and somewhat of a defensive liability.

So, should LeClair be demoted to fourth line minutes even strength or can he cut it on a third line? Or should they just trade him?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby puckeye on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:41 pm

or does he better fit as top 6?

I doubt trade is an option
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Trade him...

even it means getting another Libor Pivko, Konstantin Koltsov, or Tomas Surovy type player, do it, he's just gonna slow us down I think...
send him to Toronto they like old rotting wastes of time, and then they can have the entire legion of doom pass through their system (formerly Lindros and Renberg of course), try to throw a pick in and get Ponikarovsky, or throw Melichar and a pick in and get Colaiacovo (wishful thinking there I know).

Whatever, the case may be, try and getting something that can play in the NHL for him...
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh470 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Leclair should have been traded at the deadline (though his two year deal probably scared away most teams). I'm guessing Leclair-for-future considerations will happen before camp. He serves no purpose here.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Can LeClair play a role on a checking line?

Postby Daniel on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Can LeClair play a meaningful role on such a line or will he just hold them back?

Well, he can always play back in a "Third Defensemen" sort of way. Ya know, never coming into the offensive zone for fear that he can't get back. :lol:

Seriously. I think RS should trade him, release him or beg him to retire. I don't care what he gets back in a trade. Frankly, the less the better so the Pens aren't stuck with salary back.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:07 pm

I'm ok with LeClair skating alongside Moore and Ruutu on the third line but I'd honestly trade him to a team more prepared for a playoff spot. If the Penguins acquired a third line checking winger iwth more speed and defensive ability, I'm ok with it.

I'm not interested in LeClair filling a top six spot at forward.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 pm

I hate to say it but right now his best fit is on Crosby's LW. Hopefully someone else will be brought in to bump him. I think he's too slow to be a checker and his hands are wasted in that role anyways. I think leclair's role is now to be a top-6 wing on a bad team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guido on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Bowser wrote:I'm ok with LeClair skating alongside Moore and Ruutu on the third line but I'd honestly trade him to a team more prepared for a playoff spot. If the Penguins acquired a third line checking winger iwth more speed and defensive ability, I'm ok with it.

i'm not comfortable with leclair either but... At this point, who else is there, Ouellett?

definitely need a FA to help with the situation. May have to wait until next year...that's going to be the year to nab a good FA scorer....
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:26 pm

From within the organization, I think Ryan Stone could be a good fit on the LW with Moore and Ruutu. That could be a solid third line. There's actually probably a good chance that does happen. I'd prefer that to LeClair playing on a checking line. LeClair can be useful, but he needs to be limited. The Pens can get something out of him without him being a liability by having him skate on the fourth line and then get regular power play time. He's still a presence in front of the net.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Guido wrote:
Bowser wrote:I'm ok with LeClair skating alongside Moore and Ruutu on the third line but I'd honestly trade him to a team more prepared for a playoff spot. If the Penguins acquired a third line checking winger iwth more speed and defensive ability, I'm ok with it.

i'm not comfortable with leclair either but... At this point, who else is there, Ouellett?

definitely need a FA to help with the situation. May have to wait until next year...that's going to be the year to nab a good FA scorer....

Erik Rasmussen would look good with Moore and Ruutu. That would leave Roy, Talbot and Ouellet to go out and try to cycle in the zone for a 30 second shift and get a face off and the occasional goal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Can LeClair play a role on a checking line?

Postby NIN on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Moore and Ruutu seem to be two guys who can fill a role on a real checking line. They're both high energy guys, physical, defensively reponsible, and with enough offensive ability to take a regular shift. Can LeClair play a meaningful role on such a line or will he just hold them back? It would seem that he's pencilled in as a third liner, but I don't know if he'll bring much to what looks to be a high energy checking line. He still has hockey smarts and good hands, but without a doubt is slow and somewhat of a defensive liability.

So, should LeClair be demoted to fourth line minutes even strength or can he cut it on a third line? Or should they just trade him?

In my opinion he can be a decent 3rd line winger. With LeClair it's more important to discuss his icetime than it is what line he plays on. If the 3rd line is getting alot of time vs. an opponents top line than JL will be in alot of trouble out there. Conversly, if things are going rather well and JL is getting some decent icetime on the power plays than he could probably play some time on the 3rd line. His role is least important to the team because this will be year for the young guys to get some more experiance and JL will be gone next season or sooner.
NIN

Postby Jim on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:47 pm

I do not know why people keep saying that LeClair has no trade value. He is going to make $1.5m... that's it. $1.5m for a 20-25 goal scorer that doesn't mind parking in front of the net is quite good.

Frankly, now that the Pens have a coach that actually knows how to use players, I say keep him.

First 48 games: 10-17-27, 47 PIMS, PP= 4-11-15
Last 25 games: 12-12-24, 14 PIMS, PP= 4-8-12

He could definately get good return, especially considering his salry. However, like I said... I'd rather keep him.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:50 pm

Henry Hank wrote:From within the organization, I think Ryan Stone could be a good fit on the LW with Moore and Ruutu. That could be a solid third line. There's actually probably a good chance that does happen. I'd prefer that to LeClair playing on a checking line. LeClair can be useful, but he needs to be limited. The Pens can get something out of him without him being a liability by having him skate on the fourth line and then get regular power play time. He's still a presence in front of the net.

bingo.

If anyone fills out that third line it should be Stone, Filewich or Carcillo. There is no point in taking them out of WBS to play five minutes a night on the fourth line. Leclair just doesn't have the wheels to play on a true checking line.

If Leclair is still here come October, he should have a fourth line role with regular power play time. If he's moved, no big deal......a guy like Rasmussen would be a much better fit for fourth line duty with Talbot and Roy.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:38 am

I think he'll be moved around the deadline, that's when his value will be highest as a veteran winger who can chip in goals, maybe replace an injured player on a team's PP. Until then, I think it's unclear what his role will be. It should be as a 3rd line winger with some PP time, but depending on who is acquired between now and October, he could see top 2 line minutes.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Jim wrote:I do not know why people keep saying that LeClair has no trade value. He is going to make $1.5m... that's it. $1.5m for a 20-25 goal scorer that doesn't mind parking in front of the net is quite good.

Frankly, now that the Pens have a coach that actually knows how to use players, I say keep him.

He could definately get good return, especially considering his salry. However, like I said... I'd rather keep him.

The Pens tried to move him at the deadline and found no takers. LeClair openly campaigned for a trade. No teams wanted him or his $1.8M Cap hit and $1.5M salary for this season. Unfortunately for the Pens he did all of his damage AFTER the trade deadline; Therien took over long before the last 25 games. Maybe if he had shown a pulse before the deadline they could have unloaded him.

I have to give him major props for being a man and playing well after the deadline despite his disapointment about still being here. He turned down the "A" when Recchi was traded because Therien stripped him of the "A" and gave it to Sid so who knows how he will feel about being here this season. He never moved his family here last season, so he's always been playing like he has one foot out the door. As PFIM says his value will be highest at the trade deadline this season since his contract is up. Hopefully he plays well enough to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back then.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Jim wrote:I do not know why people keep saying that LeClair has no trade value. He is going to make $1.5m... that's it. $1.5m for a 20-25 goal scorer that doesn't mind parking in front of the net is quite good.

The Pens tried to move him at the deadline and found no takers. LeClair openly campaigned for a trade. No teams wanted him or his $1.8M Cap hit and $1.5M salary for this season. Unfortunately for the Pens he did all of his damage AFTER the trade deadline; Therien took over long before the last 25 games. Maybe if he had shown a pulse before the deadline they could have unloaded him.

I have to give him major props for being a man and playing well after the deadline despite his disapointment about still being here. He turned down the "A" when Recchi was traded because Therien stripped him of the "A" and gave it to Sid so who knows how he will feel about being here this season. He never moved his family here last season, so he's always been playing like he has one foot out the door. As PFIM says his value will be highest at the trade deadline this season since his contract is up. Hopefully he plays well enough to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back then.

So if we trade Leclair now, does the new take only his salary as a hit and we make up the difference in terms of cap space? I don't see why a new team should have to pay for the average of the contract since they would only have him for one year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Leclair brings valuable experience to the team. He and Gonchar are the Pens only vets. I remember Shero stating something along the lines of wanting guys in all age brackets [young - middle -old]. He said we had the young and the old...

I think Shero would only trade away Leclair before the trade deadline if he planned on brining in another vet. Having a bit of leadership in the lockerroom from guys who have been there before is a valuable asset during the long winter.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sleestak on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:07 pm

Leclair seemed to end up fairly consistent and his work ethic didn't seem to be questionable.

He had a 51 point season on arguably the worst team in the league. That's not too shabby all things considered. As a whole if the team turns out better than last year, and it absolutely can't get worse than last year, he will be a great asset parked right in front of the opposing teams net.

As far as him complaining for a trade; I don't buy it. From what I remember he wanted simply to play on a playoff team.

He has never sat out of the playoffs except for last year. I don't blame him for a second.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Max Power on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:32 pm

I really don't see the harm in letting him sort it out in Training Camp. If there's gas left in the tank, we could surely use the lift. It's not like we have excess wingers or a glut of guys that can actually park in front of the net and deposit pucks. I mean come on now. The dude was at one time a Cadillac of a player. We'd have killed to have him play a regular shift in a Penguins Uni. Now that he's ours, we hate him?

Shero is doing the best he can to get this franchise back into a contending hockey team. It won't happen over night and he's more than said so. It's a consuming process and I want a LeClair to teach my guys how it's done. So what if he's lost a step. He can afford to. And we're lucky to have him on our team. Let him do what he was signed for. Put the puck in the net and teach a few guys a legitimate work ethic.
Max Power
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fast B on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Max Power wrote:Now that he's ours, we hate him?

I actually hated him the whole time, but I can tolerate his presence somewhat since he's not slaughtering us all the time anymore.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Latin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:13 pm

pcm wrote:Leclair brings valuable experience to the team. He and Gonchar are the Pens only vets. I remember Shero stating something along the lines of wanting guys in all age brackets [young - middle -old]. He said we had the young and the old...

I think Shero would only trade away Leclair before the trade deadline if he planned on brining in another vet. Having a bit of leadership in the lockerroom from guys who have been there before is a valuable asset during the long winter.

Leclair isn't just old... he's 37 or 38. In hockey terms, he's a dinoasaur. I'd prefer to have him go to a team like the Leafs for a 4th round pick than keep him around another year.

If we want "vets", I'm perfectly comfortable having only Gonchar who is at the ripe old age of 32. This team should be built around youth and speed. It doesn't make sense to have a guy like Leclair around slowing everyone else down.
Steve Latin

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:22 pm

Fast B wrote:
Max Power wrote:Now that he's ours, we hate him?

I actually hated him the whole time, but I can tolerate his presence somewhat since he's not slaughtering us all the time anymore.

then & now he's a flyer wearing Ronnie Francis' uniform. :P
I admit, highly emotional & illogical feeling.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:39 pm

DelPen wrote:So if we trade Leclair now, does the new take only his salary as a hit and we make up the difference in terms of cap space? I don't see why a new team should have to pay for the average of the contract since they would only have him for one year.

No, the new team would pay him $1.5M and his Cap value to them would be $1.8M as I understand it.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins