Trade with San Jose

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Trade with San Jose

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 pm

# PENGUINS ACQUIRE LEFT WING NILS EKMAN AND GOALTENDER PATRICK EHELECHNER (7/20)

per PP.com

Pens quire Nils Ekman and Patrick Ehelechner for a 2nd rounder (Carolina)

Not a bad trade.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:39 pm

Sweet! Ekman didn't quite fit on with the Thornton line, but I think he'll be good here.
Last edited by Fast B on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:40 pm

skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:41 pm

Back to back 20 goal seasons, good defensively...I like, I like...however, we're slowly losing our draft picks next year LOL

but I've always liked Ekman, in fact, I think he's pretty damn good on shootouts too!!
Shinoix

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Nils Ekman
Assets - Is very quick and shifty. Has good overall skills on offense and a strong defensive background. Can line up on either side of center.
Flaws - Must avoid getting knocked off the puck regularly. Needs to prove he can put up points on a consistent basis.
Career potential - Third line winger.

I think his ceiling is a bit higher than a 3rd line winger. I think he'll look good on either Crosby's left side or Malkin's right side.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh470 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 pm

I like Ekman, but I don't like giving up a 2nd rounder for him.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Shinoix wrote:but I've always liked Ekman, in fact, I think he's pretty damn good on shootouts too!!

Yep - he clinched what seemed like SJ's only shootout win, against Calgary (a game I was at :D).
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:43 pm

jmh470 wrote:I like Ekman, but I don't like giving up a 2nd rounder for him.

It wasn't even our 2nd rounder. It's the 2nd rounder from the Rechhi trade I believe.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Nice! He's had back-to-back solid, 20 goal seasons. He's a +50 in that span. I LOVE that he's considered to be a strong defensive player. Man, Shero is really looking great to me the more he does. Ekman's another guy who will improve the defense and team speed. This will be a very different Penguins bunch. If you look at it as Recchi for Ekman, this is a pretty good deal. I'd imagine this move makes Recchi's return more unlikely.

What's the scoop on this goalie? Does San Jose still have a lot of depth in goalie prospects? Potentially another Hedberg/Kiprusoff?
Last edited by Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:50 pm

I am a huge fan of this move...Ekman will look great alongside Malkin or Crosby...Way to go RS
borohcky9

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:53 pm

Interesting side note...he had more points last season than any of our forwards besides Crosby.
borohcky9

Postby KG on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:53 pm

Great trade IMO. a 2nd round pick for a proven 2-way top 6 forward and a goalie prospect is a great deal.

RS is quickly increasing the depth of the roster. well done RS
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby imau2fan on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Well, if Recchi returns, if nothing else it would at least make this trade look all the sweeter...................Ekman and a goalie prospect, for merely renting Recchi to the Canes for a few months (when the season was already over).

A very un-Patrick-like trade, I must say.
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:59 pm

It's worth noting that Ekman was third on the Sharks as a +20. Two years ago, he led the team with a +30, so his defensive ability seems to be legit. This is a great pick-up. I feel better now about this team than I did a month ago, and even then I was pretty optimistic about them. Shero's done a great job improving this team without having to make bad signings. A 2nd and 3rd pick for what we ended up getting might be a little bit steep, but he was dealing out of excess anyway. Another move or two like the ones he's been making, and I really think this team will be looking quite solid.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:00 pm

I wouldn't worry about losing picks, since we can always get more with future trades down the road.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby puckeye on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:03 pm

http://hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=355

under contract for another year at $1.1 mil
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby imau2fan on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:04 pm

per hockeyanalysis.com - under contract for another year at $1.1 mil

I like him even better now. What a bargain.
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:05 pm

Even better. Ekman and Moore are cheaper than the players the Pens probably would have gotten to fill those roles through free agency. They definitely have the money to compete for the services of an Anson Carter or Petr Sykora if they so choose.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:06 pm

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/patrick_ehelechner

Looks like we have Sabourin's partner for WBS next year. This was a hole that needed filled.

As far as Ekman goes, on a good team he's a 3rd liner, on this team he's a scoring wing who provides a defensive presence on the line. The guy who back checks, is the transition guy from defense to the attacking zone and can porbably chip in 15-20 goals. I like it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ivand87 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:13 pm

OK so let me get this straight, we get a right winger who had 2 consecutive 20 goal seasons with the Sharks, and a goaltending prospect, for the 2nd round pick in 2007 that we got from Carolina?

THAT'S A STEAL! Score one for Ray Shero, beeeeyotch!
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BJL on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:16 pm

Eh... well I'm a Sharks fan and I'd say Ekman is a guy I would usually catch myself saying "he sucks" every night during their games. I was glad they picked up Bell to play w/ Thornton and Cheechoo because Ekman never did anything.

That said, he's still an upgrade for OUR team... so I'll reserve judgement.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Another thing of note. When Hilbert was non-tendered, I was disappointed, but I said that I'd give Shero the benefit of the doubt. I was eagerly anticipating who he'd get to replace him, and it looks like Ekman's the guy. I'd say he's a definite upgrade on Hilbert. He's faster and a very good defensive player.

I'd imagine Shero is hoping for more than just 15-20 goals from Ekman. He's another guy who fits the profile of someone who could produce more given more responsibility. Now, I believe Ekman was playing with Thornton and Cheecho last year, but he didn't get top power play time. I'd imagine he can get his goal total closer to 30 if he's playing with Crosby at all times.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Very nice work by RS. Ekman has scored 20+ goals in his only 2 full seasons. Still young at 30 and cheap. He's be an ideal RW for a Malkin and Malone line. The speed of Malkin and Ekman would more than cover for Malone's lack of top-flight speed. And Malkin and Malone's(if he decides to stop being a wuss) would make up for Ekman light 6' frame. Could be a very good 2nd line. Now need a LW for Sid's Army.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:23 pm

BJL wrote:Eh... well I'm a Sharks fan and I'd say Ekman is a guy I would usually catch myself saying "he sucks" every night during their games. I was glad they picked up Bell to play w/ Thornton and Cheechoo because Ekman never did anything.

The thing with Ekman is everyone expects more out of him than he's capable of producing. Kinda like Marco Sturm. You think he's gonna breakout any season, but you gotta take em for what they are. Ekman's a very solid defensive forward who'll get you 20-25 goals, possibly 30, and 55-65 points. Nothing more, nothing less.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:27 pm

ville5 wrote:
BJL wrote:Eh... well I'm a Sharks fan and I'd say Ekman is a guy I would usually catch myself saying "he sucks" every night during their games. I was glad they picked up Bell to play w/ Thornton and Cheechoo because Ekman never did anything.

The thing with Ekman is everyone expects more out of him than he's capable of producing. Kinda like Marco Sturm. You think he's gonna breakout any season, but you gotta take em for what they are. Ekman's a very solid defensive forward who'll get you 20-25 goals, possibly 30, and 55-65 points. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not really a bad thing though as long as Colby can still get 30-40 goals and ekman keeps the line in the + column on a majority of nights.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins