So far, Penguins NOT interested in Sykora

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

So far, Penguins NOT interested in Sykora

Postby Tomas on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:56 pm

Straight from Sykora interview:
http://hokej.idnes.cz/nezajem-rangers-m ... 42_nhl_mah

He says that that he was surprised by the lack of Rangers interest in him. He really liked playing for them, he liked the team chemistry, first-class functioning organization. Plus, after the season, the coach promised him more minutes (the only thing he did not like in NY) and the management told him they'd find him a new center.

Overall, he isn't particularly disappointed - just surprised, because NY told him they were satisfied with him after the season.

And now the relevant part:
Q: Did other clubs contact you?
A: Yes,. However, nothing that I would be particularly wishing for. I would prefer to play in the east, and so far, I have been only contacted by the Western Conference teams.

Q: And you don't want to go beck to all that tiresome travelling, right?
A: With Anaheim, it was sometimes complete madness. Let's see how it all works out. I should know more by the end of the week. I'd like to stay where I have been so far.

Q: And what about Montreal?
A: They were deciding between me and that Russian.

Q: Sergei Samsonov
A: They took him. They thought that as a LW, he fits better into their plans. This is over. We negotiate with other teams now.
Last edited by Tomas on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,368
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:21 am

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:51 pm

i think he would be an excellent asset to our team AND i think shero should look into getting in touch with him
Ian
 

Postby The U on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:54 pm

I like the moves Shero has made up to this point but I'm still hoping we can snag ourselves a SCORING winger.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,130
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:56 pm

If Shero brings in a SCORING winger and the Malkin issue is resolved...and with the additions that Shero has made so far...this could be a really good team.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,531
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:00 pm

It's amazing that there is really no interest in Sykora. Seems like the exact player Shero was refering to when he said some vets who need shot in the arm ande will sign cheap to pad their stats for next year. Would $1.5 million be enough for Sykora to rejuvinate his career?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,279
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby jmh470 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:01 pm

It's obvious Shero doesn't like floaters, so he won't be calling Sykora anytime soon.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,510
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: At my Ben Murphiest

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:03 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:If Shero brings in a SCORING winger and the Malkin issue is resolved...and with the additions that Shero has made so far...this could be a really good team.


I wouldn't go that far. You still need to rely on a lot of youth. You need to hope that Army can keep up where he left off. You need to hope that Malkin makes it over here. You need to hope that Malone doesn't come to camp fat and lazy again. You need to hope that Whitney, Welch, Melichar and Orpik continue to progress and that Gonchar doesnt take the first half of the year off again.

Too many ifs to declair this team a good one.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: So far, Penguins NOT interested in Sykora

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Tomas wrote:Straight from Sykora interview:
http://hokej.idnes.cz/nezajem-rangers-m ... 42_nhl_mah

He says that that he was surprised by the lack of Rangers interest in him. He really liked playing for them, he liked the team chemistry, first-class functioning organization. Plus, after the season, the coach promised him more minutes (the only thing he did not like in NY) and the management told him they'd find him a new center.

Overall, he isn't particularly disappointed - just surprised, because NY told him they were satisfied with him after the season.

And now the relevant part:
Q: Did other clubs contact you?
A: Yes,. However, nothing that I would be particularly wishing for. I would prefer to play in the east, and so far, I have been only contacted by the Western Conference teams.

Q: And you don't want to go beck to all that tiresome travelling, right?
A: With Anaheim, it was sometimes complete madness. Let's see how it all works out. I should know more by the end of the week. I'd like to stay where I have been so far.

Q: And what about Montreal?
A: They were deciding between me and that Russian.

Q: Sergei Samsonov
A: They took him. They thought that as a LW, he fits better into their plans. This is over. We negotiate with other teams now.


Sykora is not better than Ekman. Ekman has shown that he can score goals in the NHL, and is great 2 way player. Ekman had a tremendous second half, and outscored Bulis, Sykora and Carter.

The only thing I like more about Carter is his PP goal total as a righty. The Pens will have to hope that Colby can be a threat with the man advantage.

Basically, as much as I have been whining about looking for an offer to the big three tossed around here, I LOVE getting this guy for an "extra" second rounder. I'd also suggest looking at this now as a trade of Recchi at 100 years old for a 30 year old top notch two-way guy.

I also believe he will set career high totals with Crosby or *fingers crossed* Malkin.

I am loving Shero right now. I'd love to see another winger brought in via whatever means he chooses, but it is actually pretty amazing how much he has changed the organization in such a short time.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,597
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Sykora is the antithesis of what Shero is trying to do with guys that are defensively responsible, don't take shifts off, and play at a high tempo.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby The U on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:34 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:If Shero brings in a SCORING winger and the Malkin issue is resolved...and with the additions that Shero has made so far...this could be a really good team.


Yes, I agree. The moves thus far have been great but I'd LOVE to add a proven scorer, (via trade) , who you know will put the puck in the net with regularity.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,130
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:39 pm

What demonstrates to you that these moves thus far have been great?
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,625
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Industry

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:40 pm

Draftnik wrote:Sykora is the antithesis of what Shero is trying to do with guys that are defensively responsible, don't take shifts off, and play at a high tempo.


Yep. This team is going to built around expectations of defense from every single guy on ANY line. Ekman is a great example of that, and as I said noe of the trio of Sykora, Bulis or Carter is a better fit than this guy.

Fun fact - Ekman had only 5 points through November, but still finished with a career high in points. Some will point to Thornton, but Nils will see either Crosby or Malkin here. He's going to score.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,597
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:47 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Fun fact - Ekman had only 5 points through November, but still finished with a career high in points. Some will point to Thornton, but Nils will see either Crosby or Malkin here. He's going to score.


I agree Ekman is a very solid pickup and I don't think he was a total siphon for Thornton points. The whole SJ team was in the tank at the beginning of the season. Cheechoo scored 29 goals in 03/04 and legitimately should have been primed for a 35-40 goal season. He only had 7 when Thornton arrived, but he was due to explode with or without Thornton. Ekman also had 22 goals the season before Thornton arrived.

Thornton is obviously a great player but I think he is given too much credit for Cheechoo and Glen Murray. Murray had some pretty good mojo going with Allison in LA before he played with Thornton and there were plenty of guys that came and went with the Bs over the years that did not pad their stats due to Jumbo Joe.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:21 pm

I've been a big supporter of the Pens going after Sykora, but it's not really a surprise Shero isn't interested in him. Shero wants guys with a defensive awareness and guys who will always give 110%. Sykora doesn't fit that mold. I'd still love him because I do think the Pens could use at least one guy that could be a "sniper."

If there's any free agent forward Shero might be interested in, it's probably Bulis because he's got a good reputation as a two-way player. That's clearly something Shero values, which is good.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,534
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:31 pm

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:41 pm

Shero probably realizes that the team is not exactly primed for the playoffs this year due to the 2nd to last place finish last year along with no real money to spend and a few key guys going through arbitration. Therefore he wants to build the team from the ground up with solid 2-way players, if there is a couple million $ left after that... I expect to see a strictly offensive minded player signed, such as a Sykora or A. Carter.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,625
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Industry

Postby Steve Latin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:44 pm

Draftnik wrote:Sykora is the antithesis of what Shero is trying to do with guys that are defensively responsible, don't take shifts off, and play at a high tempo.


QFT. I wanted the Pens to pick him up at the beginning of the offseason, but I really like what Shero has done so far. Palffy is a talent far greater than Sykora, but he didn't exactly help inspire the team to win games with his play, even when he was putting up points.
Steve Latin
 

Re: So far, Penguins NOT interested in Sykora

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:08 am

The Snapshot wrote:Sykora is not better than Ekman. Ekman has shown that he can score goals in the NHL, and is great 2 way player. Ekman had a tremendous second half, and outscored Bulis, Sykora and Carter.


True, but I think they could use two scoring wingers if the price is right.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am
Location: ...

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:10 am

Draftnik wrote:Sykora is the antithesis of what Shero is trying to do with guys that are defensively responsible, don't take shifts off, and play at a high tempo.


Hopefully you can replace "Sykora" with "Recchi" and the sentence will still be true. I'm a little worried that they're going to pass on Sykora only to sign Recchi.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am
Location: ...

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:17 pm

I don't see Recchi coming anymore. It's more likely the Pens just won't pick up another guy of any significance. As it stands, basically there are two or three spots open in the top 12 forwards, and all of them could reasonably be filled from within.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,534
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:31 pm


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mayday56, Pruezy11881, RentedMule66 and 20 guests


e-mail