So what now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

So what now?

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 pm

While I have to admit I did cringe alittle when I heard that we gave up a second rounder in the Ekman deal, I also have to say that I'm extremely pleased with the direction Shero has turned this team. Speed, hard work, and defensively sound. My only question now is who's in and who's out?

I have to believe that Shero has a place in mind for Pivko when he picked him up this week. So unless he bombs in camp I'm thinking he starts on one of the two top lines. If thats the case, we could look something like this:

Pivko - Crosby - Armstrong
Ekman - Malkin - Filewich or Malone
Stone - Moore - Ruutu (how can you not love this line)
Roy - Talbot - Carcillo or Leclair.

My guess is that we're going to have a few extra bodies. Of course Pivko is a question mark, Malkin's not 100% and Stone, Filewich, and/or Carcillo could all end back up in WBS. My gut though tells me Shero picked Pivko for a reason, Malkin wants to play in the NHL, and Filewich and Stone could be big surprises in camp. So if thats the case, where is Ouellet, Leclair....maybe Malone?

As much as I like what Shero's done with the skaters, I can't help but think we're still desperately in need of another defenceman. Perhaps a more physical version of Eaton. Something tells me Malone ends up with an arbitration award alittle higher than the team is happy with...and he ends up being shopped for some defensive help. Any thoughts?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:51 pm

I think Malone is going to be dealt regardless of his arbitration award. I like what Shero is doing and I think draft picks can be overrated. The Pens have/had extra 07 picks in the 2nd and 4th (2) round so they could afford to move a few. If you go back through draft years it is amazing how the number of guys making the NHL flatlines in the 2nd/3rd round. Many of the picks never make it. Maybe Malone will be moved for a pick.

RLR's annual draft issue is very illuminating because Woodlief starts projecting guys as 3rd/4th line material 5th/6th D pairing as early as his 2nd round mock.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:10 pm

It's very possibly that Shero might be done making moves. He could possibly trade Malone if he ends up being too expensive, and he could bring another checking line guy in, but mostly I think we should just expect minor league depth. He said Pivko would be competing with other guys on two-way deals for a job, so I'd imagine they're going to leave a few spots open for guys like Pivko, Stone, Christensen, and Filewich to compete over.

In any event, I already like what he's done with the club. Eaton, Ruutu, Moore, Ekman, and Malkin will infuse a ton of defensive awareness into this club. It's pretty amazing to see how far the team has come from a year ago. They're pretty well suited to the "new NHL" right now, whereas last year they couldn't have been less prepared. I really feel good about their chances for some significant improvement.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: So what now?

Postby ville5 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:39 am

NJ5934 wrote:While I have to admit I did cringe alittle when I heard that we gave up a second rounder in the Ekman deal, I also have to say that I'm extremely pleased with the direction Shero has turned this team. Speed, hard work, and defensively sound. My only question now is who's in and who's out?

I have to believe that Shero has a place in mind for Pivko when he picked him up this week. So unless he bombs in camp I'm thinking he starts on one of the two top lines. If thats the case, we could look something like this:

Pivko - Crosby - Armstrong
Ekman - Malkin - Filewich or Malone
Stone - Moore - Ruutu (how can you not love this line)
Roy - Talbot - Carcillo or Leclair.

My guess is that we're going to have a few extra bodies. Of course Pivko is a question mark, Malkin's not 100% and Stone, Filewich, and/or Carcillo could all end back up in WBS. My gut though tells me Shero picked Pivko for a reason, Malkin wants to play in the NHL, and Filewich and Stone could be big surprises in camp. So if thats the case, where is Ouellet, Leclair....maybe Malone?

As much as I like what Shero's done with the skaters, I can't help but think we're still desperately in need of another defenceman. Perhaps a more physical version of Eaton. Something tells me Malone ends up with an arbitration award alittle higher than the team is happy with...and he ends up being shopped for some defensive help. Any thoughts?

Ekman can be a top 6 forward, but is too inconsistent for the top line. I think RS had 3rd line in mind for Pivko. As of now, 3rd line is probably Ruutu and Moore. Not much offensive threat there. Pivko has decent production in the AHL, might provide some pop for the 3rd line.
I can see RS trading LeClair and a spare d-man (Scuderi?) to a cap-strapped team that needs a cheap 20+ goals and a 6-7 d-man. For a 3rd or 4th round pick or prospect?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins