Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Thoughts of current squad? What else do we need?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Thoughts of current squad? What else do we need?

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:10 am

My lines current :
Christensen - Crosby - Armstrong
Malone - Malkin - Ekman
LeClair - Moore - Ouellet
Ruutu - Talbot - Roy
Gonchar - Eaton
Welch - Whitney
Orpik - Cairns
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tluke53 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:12 pm

I am supprised this hasn't been discuss further with all the recent moves that Shero has made. I think he has done a great job so far.

To answer your question, I still think you will see another move. We still need scorers. I bet he will sign another free agent to a one year contract. I have to say it, but someone like Recci.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

More Russians

Postby Len Nicodemo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:06 pm

We need to grab a couple of these free agent Russians. Kvasha or Kozlov are my picks. If Malkin gets here, he needs to feel comfortable with his teammates. Adding a pretty good Russian player to the squad with him and Gonchar would give him a nice comfort zone. Not to mention, his English is very poor. Just a thought.
Len Nicodemo

Postby NIN on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:08 pm

They need goal scoring prospects. Tough mobile wingers with good anticipation and the ability to get open either with speed, toughness, or bad jokes.
NIN

Postby tluke53 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:17 pm

NIN wrote:They need goal scoring prospects. Tough mobile wingers with good anticipation and the ability to get open either with speed, toughness, or bad jokes.

i.e. Jordan Stall, if he reaches his potential anyway.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tluke53 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Another good goalie prospect to backup Fluery.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:19 pm

tluke53 wrote:
NIN wrote:They need goal scoring prospects. Tough mobile wingers with good anticipation and the ability to get open either with speed, toughness, or bad jokes.

He will but there should not be a rush put on it. I am not optimistic about Malkin being here this season or the next. Staal may be the Pens 2nd line center for a long time. That's for a different thread.
NIN

Re: Thoughts of current squad? What else do we need?

Postby gregor on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:19 pm

Pens4Life wrote:My lines current :
Malone - Malkin - Ekman
Ruutu - Talbot - Roy
Gonchar - Eaton
Welch - Whitney
Orpik - Cairns

sad. I guess we shouldn't expect a playoff appearance just yet
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Len Nicodemo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:35 pm

NIN wrote:
tluke53 wrote:

He will but there should not be a rush put on it. I am not optimistic about Malkin being here this season or the next. Staal may be the Pens 2nd line center for a long time. That's for a different thread.

I agree, I'm not counting on Malkin being here. It will be a bonus if he is. We need to sign a little more firepower in case he's not here. I hope Shero doesn't count on him being here for sure or he could look silly for signing no offensive players. Let's keep our fingers crossed
Len Nicodemo

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:55 pm

I doubt your lines and defensive pairings are what we'll see (LeClair and Ouellet on the third line?), but the Pens might be done. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Shero only brings in depth for WBS the rest of the way.

All that's left open are three spots in the top twelve forwards. As of now, I'd bet on Talbot, Stone, and Pivko filling those roles. Maybe Shero will get one more player, but it's safe to assume he'll leave some spots open for competition.

Once Malkin's officially here, the Pens will have a solid-looking group. They should have a top power play unit and a very much improved penality killing squad. Team defense on five-on-five situations will be greatly improved, and having Malkin will give the Penguins a legitimate second threat other than Crosby's line. The Pens will be a much more fundamentally sound team. They're not quite there yet, but they should at least be sniffing around a bottom playoff seed. Fleury, Whitney, and Orpik are the wild cards that will determine just how much they shoot up the standings.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:20 pm

gregor wrote:
Malone - Malkin - Ekman
Ruutu - Talbot - Roy
Gonchar - Eaton
Welch - Whitney
Orpik - Cairns

Perhaps not. But I bet they'll be a heck of a lot more exciting to watch, and a lot more aggravating to play against (no more Kovalchuk antics, I hope). Baby steps, man, baby steps. If something in Fleury "clicks" this year or next and Malkin comes over, things could get interesting very quickly.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby gregor on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Fast B wrote:
gregor wrote:
Malone - Malkin - Ekman
Ruutu - Talbot - Roy
Gonchar - Eaton
Welch - Whitney
Orpik - Cairns

Perhaps not. But I bet they'll be a heck of a lot more exciting to watch, and a lot more aggravating to play against (no more Kovalchuk antics, I hope). Baby steps, man, baby steps. If something in Fleury "clicks" this year or next and Malkin comes over, things could get interesting very quickly.

I will agree, they should be fun to watch, especially Ruutu. The person above who mentioned sniffing the bottom of the playoff field is probably correct.

I'm still a fan!

LETS GO PENS!!!
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheWholeF'NShow on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:30 pm

I still want to see someone like Dvorak or Bulis brought in for the third line w/ Moore and Ruutu. I mean with those lines whos gonna stop Forsberg or Jagr? Big John Leclair and Michelle Ouellet? OK :roll:
TheWholeF'NShow

Postby Steve Latin on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 pm

TheWholeF'NShow wrote:I still want to see someone like Dvorak or Bulis brought in for the third line w/ Moore and Ruutu. I mean with those lines whos gonna stop Forsberg or Jagr? Big John Leclair and Michelle Ouellet? OK :roll:

I agree that we need a guy other than Leclair on that third line. I'm not sure that Dvorak or Bulis are the answers though, as they'll probably wind up getting top-6 money.

Hopefully one of Stone or Filewhich can step it up in camp and earn a spot on that line.
Steve Latin

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:37 pm

I expect to see some combination of Stone, Moore, and Ruutu as the third line, possibly with Talbot or Filewich instead of Stone. No way Shero brings in a couple good skaters and defensive players in Moore and Ruutu to play on the third and then gives them a slug like LeClair or Ouellet. He's going to put together a real third line.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:48 pm

When you look at this lineup listed below, you see the Penguins need major help on the wing. I'm not buying this talk about Jordan Staal getting a fair shot to make the team as a winger unless Malkin is still stuck in Russia. Even then, Staal would be a center, not at wing.

Malone is going to get way more money than he's worth in arbitration, evidence by the Mike York award of $2.85 million. Shero has shown he's interested in players who have speed, skills, and shown an ability to play in their own zone. I'm not sold on Malone's skating ability to play on the top two lines on a playoff contender.

I expect if Shero doesn't like the arbitration award, he'll accept it but place Malone on the chop block for a younger, cheaper option. Sidney Crosby has proven his ability to make others around him better, so the Penguins won't be forced to overpay for mid-level talent like Malone.

A playoff team has better options at wing than LeClair, Roy, and Ouellet. Most teams wouldn't be so left-handed on the blueline, terrible puck moving skills with the third pairing, and I'm VERY uncomfortable with Thibault as the backup considering his injury history over the four seasons.

1st: Malone - Crosby - Armstrong - Gonchar - Eaton
2nd: Ekman - Malkin - Christensen - Whitney - Welch
3rd: LeClair - Moore - Ruutu - Orpik - Melichar
4th: Roy - Talbot - Ouellet
Bench: Pivko - Cairns - Scuderi
Fleury - Thibault
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:16 pm

Malone is going to get way more money than he's worth in arbitration, evidence by the Mike York award of $2.85 million.

I don't think that's the case. York's award was largely a product of his previous salary. He got a 39% raise from his previous $2.05 salary, bringing it up to the new figure. I agree that it's an overpayment, but I don't think you're going to see Malone getting more than he's worth. If Malone gets, say, a 50% raise, he'd still be only at $1.125 million. That's not really too expensive for him, especially when the Pens are barely spending much as it is.

A playoff team has better options at wing than LeClair, Roy, and Ouellet.

It's not like the Pens are going to have these guys getting significant playing time. Roy's a fourth liner, and as such he's worthwhile. He was, after all, a part of playoff teams in Ottawa as well as a Stanley Cup winner in Tampa Bay. I'd expect LeClair, if he isn't traded first, to get fourth line minutes even strength because he doesn't fit what Shero's doing for the third line. I'll be surprised if Ouellet even makes the team. If he does manage, he'll probably be a reserve player.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins