Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

PG reports Fingold is leading candidate to buy Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

PG reports Fingold is leading candidate to buy Pens

Postby cs6687 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:16 pm

cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:21 pm

A key quote in that article (which is nothing new):

That group withdrew, apparently because it either was intent on moving the Penguins or believed that even if it tried to operate the Penguins in Pittsburgh, it would not have the option of moving if things got financially strained.

That's exactly why it's not tragic news if Fingold does, indeed, purchase the team. The deck is stacked far more towards their staying than it does towards their moving. It will take a disaster to wreck the progress that has been made.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Henry Hank wrote:A key quote in that article (which is nothing new):

That group withdrew, apparently because it either was intent on moving the Penguins or believed that even if it tried to operate the Penguins in Pittsburgh, it would not have the option of moving if things got financially strained.

That's exactly why it's not tragic news if Fingold does, indeed, purchase the team. The deck is stacked far more towards their staying than it does towards their moving. It will take a disaster to wreck the progress that has been made.

It is at least appearing that way. I hope Fingold's statements about giving the other options a chance are true.

However, after Mario is gone, do you think that either the Politico's OR Fingold will actually try to do anything at all with Plan B?

That's what scares me. Where is the motivation to build the arena after all previous parties are gone?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:21 pm

Where is the motivation to build the arena after all previous parties are gone?

Well, for the city, it's a more legitimate threat that the team could move. They knew Mario wouldn't move the team. Fingold will, if it comes to that. The Pens leaving only hurts the city and those in charge.

For Fingold, it's probable that he's not going to find a better deal than Pittsburgh. Kansas City won't give him nearly as good a lease as he'd get here, and let's say the NHL charges a relocation fee. Suddenly, it doesn't make much financial sense to not try and make an arena work in Pittsburgh.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DrBoni on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:23 pm

However, after Mario is gone, do you think that either the Politico's OR Fingold will actually try to do anything at all with Plan B?

That's what scares me. Where is the motivation to build the arena after all previous parties are gone?

That is my greatest concern. It seems way to easy to wreck Plan B. Both sides have to work on it. If the new owner doesn't really care, then all they have to do is quit it, the politicians quit and say "You had your chance." Then it's over.

But Fingold, according to his recent statements, has said that he's going to work on Plan B. I hope we can trust him on that. I'm not convinced that he'll move the team, but I'm far from convinced that he won't.

I think that a telling sign will be whether they keep Ken Sawyer on as CEO.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins