It's so much easier when you don't care.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby Three Stars on Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi to those that know me. Hi to those that don't. I'm back. :shock:

- I don't care about the Pittsburgh Penguins. More specifically, as I spend more and more time totally independent from the city, I find any loyalty to Pittsburgh that I once had is gone. I do care about the Penguins though. The team instead of the city. The players instead of the banner. I know this is not a popular sentiment, but that's the way I feel. If they move, I'll follow them. If they don't, I'll still follow them.

- With all that in mind, I'm watching the ownership situation with little more than passive interest. I'm not nearly well versed enough at this point to debate each group's merits.

- Selling the Penguins and not getting the best po$$ible deal is silly. Loyalty may still exist, but it's mostly in the minds of the fans. Business is business. If they want to sell to someone with no ties to Pittsburgh who just so happens to have the highest bid, I can't say I blame them.

- Michel Therrien is not a long term solution as Penguins coach. Better start finding his replacement.

- Craig Patrick had to go because the franchise needed a clean break. But the burgeoning cynic in me is wondering when the grass will no longer be greener for Ray Shero with respect to this team, these fans, this market. I'm not saying he was a bad choice by any means, but how long will the honeymoon last, especially with Penguin fans ranking among the biggest self-proclaimed martyrs in recent years?

- That's all for now. I'd better save some for later. Hope yinz guys have all been well. 8)
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,586
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:09 pm

Welcome back, hopefully. :)
MrKnowNothing
 

Postby Peter on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:17 pm

Peter
 

Postby Ron` on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:21 pm

WB 3 stars. Alot of praying going on here for the stars to align. Isn't anything that occurs here that will change the outcome either.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,037
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:21 pm

I'd probably passively follow sports and make statements about GMs without any merit too if I had to watch the Ravens on a weekly basis.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby HockeyDaddy on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Three Stars wrote:I do care about the Penguins though. The team instead of the city. The players instead of the banner. I know this is not a popular sentiment, but that's the way I feel. If they move, I'll follow them. If they don't, I'll still follow them.


I find it hard to understand this logic. If you are a Penguins fan...you have to be a fan of the city. I imagine if the unimaginable happens...most of us will follow the team, but eventually the novelty will wear off because it is no longer OUR team. There is always debate about using the words WE and OUR when discussing sports teams. The team is OUR Pittsburgh team. Just like Jaromir Jagr was one of our players...he is no longer on OUR team and we could care less whether he performs well or not. Are you still a big Zubov, Lang, Straka, Hedberg, or Kovalev fan? Likely not...because you are a fan of the team...not the players as you claim.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,531
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:31 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Three Stars wrote:I do care about the Penguins though. The team instead of the city. The players instead of the banner. I know this is not a popular sentiment, but that's the way I feel. If they move, I'll follow them. If they don't, I'll still follow them.


I find it hard to understand this logic. If you are a Penguins fan...you have to be a fan of the city. I imagine if the unimaginable happens...most of us will follow the team, but eventually the novelty will wear off because it is no longer OUR team. There is always debate about using the words WE and OUR when discussing sports teams. The team is OUR Pittsburgh team. Just like Jaromir Jagr was one of our players...he is no longer on OUR team and we could care less whether he performs well or not. Are you still a big Zubov, Lang, Straka, Hedberg, or Kovalev fan? Likely not...because you are a fan of the team...not the players as you claim.


I agree with this. It's not the same if the Pens leave. They aren't "my" team anymore.

I wouldn't even follow them at all.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,391
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby Three Stars on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:39 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:I find it hard to understand this logic. If you are a Penguins fan...you have to be a fan of the city. I imagine if the unimaginable happens...most of us will follow the team, but eventually the novelty will wear off because it is no longer OUR team. There is always debate about using the words WE and OUR when discussing sports teams. The team is OUR Pittsburgh team. Just like Jaromir Jagr was one of our players...he is no longer on OUR team and we could care less whether he performs well or not. Are you still a big Zubov, Lang, Straka, Hedberg, or Kovalev fan? Likely not...because you are a fan of the team...not the players as you claim.


Well, sure. I'm still a fan of those players. It's nice to see them doing well, except of course when it negatively impacts the Penguins. I guess I've had to opportunity to broaden my hockey horizons a little.

People follow teams all the time with no idenfication with the cities they are located in. I know for a fact people on this board follow the Premiership without ever having set foot in the UK. There are Steeler fans worldwide who have never eaten at Primanti's. To these people, Pittsburgh is just part of the team name. It can be "my team" without being "my city".
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,586
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Postby Three Stars on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 pm

Peter wrote:3 STARS!!!

REMEMBER THIS???

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... php?t=3237


I do remember that, Peter. I was surprised to see a PM notification in my e-mail last month. I guess you were the catalyst that nudged me back here. :wink:
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,586
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby Daniel on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:47 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:I find it hard to understand this logic. If you are a Penguins fan...you have to be a fan of the city. I imagine if the unimaginable happens...most of us will follow the team, but eventually the novelty will wear off because it is no longer OUR team. There is always debate about using the words WE and OUR when discussing sports teams. The team is OUR Pittsburgh team. Just like Jaromir Jagr was one of our players...he is no longer on OUR team and we could care less whether he performs well or not. Are you still a big Zubov, Lang, Straka, Hedberg, or Kovalev fan? Likely not...because you are a fan of the team...not the players as you claim.


If you are from Pittsburgh, I can see why the logic is foreign. I grew up away from Pittsburgh, though my parents are from there. I grew up rooting for the Steelers and am a lifelong fan. I love that they are in Pittsburgh, but it doesn't really matter to me. Same with the Penguins. Since I have never lived in the city, I don't associate myself with the Mellon Arena and going to see them play (except for when they come to Dallas).

For people in my position, rooting for them is not easy because of location. Therefore, if they are elsewhere, it will not make a difference. I will still have to watch them on Center Ice. Still be able to see them only if they come to Dallas (unless they move to Okla City/KC).

I want them to stay, as I am sure Three Stars does, but it isn't as much of a concern as it would be for people like you who live near them. 8)
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,997
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby Daniel on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Long time, no see my friend. Who is life treating you?

I am exciting for another season and think things will be a whole lot different than in years past.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,997
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Postby Peter on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:51 pm

Hey people:

Why do we care that he doesn't care? It's for him not to care. I mean, if we cared as much about other things as much as we care about how much 3 Stars doesn't care, this would would be a more caring place.
Peter
 

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby Three Stars on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:52 pm

Daniel wrote:Long time, no see my friend. Who is life treating you?

I am exciting for another season and think things will be a whole lot different than in years past.


Not bad, not bad. I have been insanely busy but it's finally winding down a little, which leaves time for LGP and other things.

It'll be nice if we can get a little spark of hope going that lasts beyond 20 games this year. To me the season begins when Malkin gets on Mellon Arena ice. If not, we've got ourselves another write-off season ahead of us.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,586
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby Daniel on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:05 pm

Three Stars wrote:To me the season begins when Malkin gets on Mellon Arena ice. If not, we've got ourselves another write-off season ahead of us.


I agree and think he will end up being better than Crosby.

With Malkin, 9th spot at best vying for a playoff spot. Without Malkin, still an improved season, but probably far less than trying for a playoff spot. Kind of in between lottery status and playoff contender.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,997
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: It's so much easier when you don't care.

Postby brwi on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Three Stars wrote:Hi to those that know me. Hi to those that don't. I'm back. :shock:

- I don't care about the Pittsburgh Penguins. More specifically, as I spend more and more time totally independent from the city, I find any loyalty to Pittsburgh that I once had is gone. I do care about the Penguins though. The team instead of the city. The players instead of the banner. I know this is not a popular sentiment, but that's the way I feel. If they move, I'll follow them. If they don't, I'll still follow them.

- With all that in mind, I'm watching the ownership situation with little more than passive interest. I'm not nearly well versed enough at this point to debate each group's merits.

- Selling the Penguins and not getting the best po$$ible deal is silly. Loyalty may still exist, but it's mostly in the minds of the fans. Business is business. If they want to sell to someone with no ties to Pittsburgh who just so happens to have the highest bid, I can't say I blame them.

- Michel Therrien is not a long term solution as Penguins coach. Better start finding his replacement.

- Craig Patrick had to go because the franchise needed a clean break. But the burgeoning cynic in me is wondering when the grass will no longer be greener for Ray Shero with respect to this team, these fans, this market. I'm not saying he was a bad choice by any means, but how long will the honeymoon last, especially with Penguin fans ranking among the biggest self-proclaimed martyrs in recent years?

- That's all for now. I'd better save some for later. Hope yinz guys have all been well. 8)


Well, I have to say I agree with you 100% Three Stars, so hell must be freezing over right now :lol:

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,245
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


e-mail