Most Memorable Civic/Mellon Arena Experience

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Most Memorable Civic/Mellon Arena Experience

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 am

In light of this being the last home opener ever in our beloved Mellon Arena, I just wanted to see what everyone's most memorable experience, personal or Pens related.

I've shared season tickets since 1987 with my dad. In 2005, as a responsible adult, I started paying for half, and just recently took over the account in full. I can list about 5 or 6 right off the top of my head, and I'm sure a lot of you have some good classic examples that are pre-dark ages. For me, it would have to be when the lights when out vs. TOR a couple years ago. I remember Andre Roy was still on the team. And somebody started the "New Arena" chant. This was back when I thought we might not get a new arena.

Other than that:
- Lemieux's first game back (who DOESN'T remember this one)
- Crosby's first NHL goal
- Malkin's first NHL goal

are three of my favorites.

Hell, even the dark ages, watching Kelly Buchberger and Mike Eastwood skate down on a 2 on 1...now it's just hilarious to think about that.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Most Memorable Civic/Mellon Arena Experience

Postby betteroff87 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:05 am

Hockey: Mario's jersey retirement (most recent)
Other: Metallica concerts
betteroff87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 am

the first game I saw was sometime around 1992 when the Penguins played an exhibition game against team USA. I was pretty miffed there were no play by play announcers, but I got over that pretty quickly.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DMcGrew on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:09 am

Thing's I'll never forget..

1. Being there when Lemieux announced that the Penguins would stay in Pittsburgh. What a relief.
2. Being there for Crosby's first goal.
3. Playoffs.. especially 2009.
4. Getting to go down on the ice and get Letang's jersey on fan appreciation night this past season.
5. The E level bouncing.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:13 am

Beating the Flyers in Game 5 of the ECF.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 am

Pens related:

- Almost getting hit in the head with a puck about 15 years ago until some guy reached out at the last second and caught it. I was like a deer in headlights behind the net seeing this thing come at me.

- Lemieux first hattrick after his comeback in 2001, it was against the Canadiens

- The last game before the lockout when we beat the Caps. I remember going to about 10 games that year and no one was there. That last game, the place was packed, and when Edzo spoke after the game, the crowd was awesome.

- Taking my mother in law to her first Pens game. They scored, the horn blew, the lights went on, and the look on her face was priceless. I think she thought a bomb went off.

- Hossa scoring the OT winner against the Rags in Game 5 in 2008.

Non-Pens related

- Going to the rodeo when I was like 8. A bull broke his legs, and a guy went out and shot it right in front of the entire crowd

- Stones concert in 2002. Best concert I ever went to
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby psubreno14 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:15 am

I've only been to about 10 games, but the one I will always remember was the first.

My dad scored tickets on the glass somehow. Pens vs. Lightning. Kasper smashed a guy into the boards in front of us, and the guy's face sweat/oil left a massive smudge on the glass that was there the rest of the game.
psubreno14
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:16 am

My first Pens game was Crosby's rookie year against Montreal when he had the game-winning SO goal. It was also my first ever Pens game. Incredible. I was hooked for life.

Lemieux also had his last NHL goal that evening. It never even registered until yesterday. Thanks, Cheap Seats.

Other than that I've had a lot of great memories. Student rushing with my old college roommates was always a great time. My brother-in-law gets me Igloo tickets, though not as much as years past. Damn bandwagoners!

I've gone to some games with my dad. Those are good times. Just enjoying the Pens and hanging out together.

Now, I usually go to games with my fiance. When I met her she didn't watch hockey but now she loves it. I'm gonna marry that girl.
Last edited by JarkkoVision on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beerman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:20 am

-95 playoffs game 5 vs the Caps Robitaille GW in OT was my very first Pens game
-Malkin's HT in the ECF against the Canes
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby C4 Row E on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:21 am

Recent memories include:
Taking my mother to Geno's first Hat Trick game against Toronto. Ruutu also beat the daylights out of Tucker that night. It was her first game and she was hooked from there.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jeffshly on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 am

Lots of great memories of The Igloo. Things like taking my wife and kids to their first games will always be tops on my list, as will my daughter getting autographs from players during training camp. My favorite on-ice memory was being there in the '92 playoffs against Washington when Mario took the puck around the left side of the net, only to reach back behind him and put it in from practically behind the net, making the unsuspecting Don Beaupre look really bad. I was about 20 rows from the glass right behind the net that night. I usually keep things reserved when I'm at a game, but I was in complete go-nuts mode after that goal.
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 am

C4 Row E wrote:Recent memories include:
Taking my mother to Geno's first Hat Trick game against Toronto. Ruutu also beat the daylights out of Tucker that night. It was her first game and she was hooked from there.

This reminded me of the game vs. Toronto when Ruutu scored on a penalty shot. My roommate was home on leave from Iraq. We had a great time. I think the score was 8-1 or something like that. It was awesome.
Last edited by JarkkoVision on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:27 am

Lemieux's first game
Game 3 against the islanders in 1982 when the pens lost the first 2 games on the island (badly) and Ed DeBartolo (owner) offered refunds to any fan who wanted one. it was the loudest I've ever heard the place. Place was rocking before the teams even came on the ice for warmups
My first game against the Golden Seals
Pens switch to black and gold
Letang scoring on OT last year in the Craps series
Randy Gilhen Scoring in OT against the Craps during the first cup run
My first concert - Black Sabbath/Blue Oyster Cult
Tool on the lateralus tour
Trans Siberian orchestra last year
Def Leppard in 1983
Motley Crue opening for Ozzy and the shenanigans that went on that night (can't eleborate family board and all)
Motley Crue on the girls girls girls tour and again the shenanigans that went on that night (can't eleborate family board and all)
Last edited by stopper40 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am

Game 1 Finals vs. Blackhawks. Mario's overtime goal.

E-13 Row M, Seat 3. Balcony shook.

Also first arena memory was in 1967 game vs. Minnesota North Stars. Sat in C-end zones before there was a balcony. First game I went to was a 3-3 tie.

My first arena win was vs. California Golden Seals that same year.
Last edited by jamespensfan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamespensfan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:29 am

game 1 cup final 1992~ jaromir jagr's goal every bit special as mario's. Until game 6, that game the loudest for the longest time crowd.
mario's 1st opening night as owner~ against the avs and patrick roy
Flower's 1st game~
Sid's 100 point game asgaints the islanders~
Evgeni & Sid combine on fab goal against the devils~ birth of the 2 headed monster.
Flyers lose~ often & in important games. :thumb:
cup final games~

dark games~ 2008 final, seeing wings skate on igloo ice with cup, primeau ot game
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 am

jamespensfan wrote:Game 1 Finals vs. Blackhawks. Mario's overtime goal.

E-13 Row M, Seat 3. Balcony shook.

No offense but that goal wasn't in OT, there was about 20 seconds left in regulation
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 am

penny lane wrote:game 1 cup final 1992~ jaromir jagr's goal every bit special as mario's. Until game 6, that game the loudest for the longest time crowd.
mario's 1st opening night as owner~ against the avs and patrick roy
Flower's 1st game~
Sid's 100 point game asgaints the islanders~
Evgeni & Sid combine on fab goal against the devils~ birth of the 2 headed monster.
Flyers lose~ often & in important games. :thumb:
cup final games~

dark games~ 2008 final, seeing wings skate on igloo ice with cup, primeau ot game

Sid's 100 point game was incredible. My fiance got her jersey signed by Sid a few days before. She wore it to the game. I made her put the giveaway t-shirt overtop of it when she was eating nachos. :face:
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:37 am

The retirement of #66 (the first time)
The Drafting of future hall-of-famer Robert Dome
Pens are 22-1-0 all time when I go to a game at Civic/Mellon
Game 2 of the Ottawa series in 2008
Sprinkling my Dad's ashes around the Mellon Arena grounds in 2008
My only concert at Mellon: ZZ Top and Skynyrd......awesome

I have to make it up for a game this year somehow.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:39 am

Having moved to New Jersey in the late 70s, I haven't gotten to the Igloo as much as I would want, but I still try to make it back at least once a year...if not more.

From my VERY young years, my parents took our family to the Ice Capades at the Civic Arena and an attractive young woman and professional skater, JoJo Starbuck, who happened to be married to a certain Super Bowl winning quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, picked a young Blackjack68 out of the crowd to take a ride around the ice in a cart pulled by skaters. So I got to see Terry Bradshaw and get a ride around the ice that night.

From two seasons ago, my wife and I splurged on playoff tickets for Game 1 of the Rags series. We were down 3-0 before you could blink an eye and I was soothing the pain with several beers. The Pens ground out a comeback win in that game and the place went wild! I can spot us in the "100 Sellouts" book that the Pens distributed last year at another game we attended with our family.

Those are two BIG memories of the arena for me. As dirty and well-worn as she is, I will miss her.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 am

INPO:

a) All of Mario and Jagr's games. Everyone seemed special, even when they didn't do anything.
b) Every Flyers defeat.
c) Straka beating Sarge then Kolzig
d) Mario's miracle goal that came from the sky in Game 6 vs. Buffalo, then the Kovy/Straka gw in ot
e) The bloody zamboni
f) The lights going out vs. TOR
g) Sid spraining the ankle vs. TB
h) Geno's atomic basting of Brodeur in Geno's 1st year
i) Jagr in OT vs. NJD in Game 6
j) Ron Francis always getting a hero's welcome when he came in with another team
k) Outside of the arena for Game 6 last year with the streets blocked off
l) Berry, Jackman, Jonnson, Butenschon, Niemenen, Fata, Strbak, Kraft, Lefebrve, Morozov, Buchberger, McKenna, Oliwa, Muni, Antoski, Eastwood
m) DET winning cup on our ice
n) Game 6 last year
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:52 am

Oh, I almost forgot, I was there at ice level when Kasparaitis knocked Lindros onto queer street and could see the ambulance pull up the ramp from where we were sitting. God I hate the Flyers!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Garbageman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 am

First memory of the arena. I was maybe 8 and we went to the circus. There was a argument over seating and my friend's mom got smacked in the face with a purse. Good times.

First Pens game. 1988 vs the Flyers. 7-0 win. Can you say chili? Steve Guenette with the shutout.

Being an extra in the crowd for the cinematic achievement that is "Sudden Death"

Lemieux's first retirement ceremony.

Malkin's first goal.
The Garbageman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 am

So many good ones involving Kasper.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 am

My top 3 hockey memories (out of many, many memories)
1. The banner raising for the first Cup
2. The ceremony after Badger Bob passed away
3. Mario's on ice announcement after the new arena deal was signed

My top non-hockey memory
Being on the floor, about 3 rows back, for Springsteen's "Born in the USA" tour. That was the first and only time I've ever been on the floor for a concert.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:49 am

first NHL hockey game attended - 1974 (ish), against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Last season's playoffs: game 3 vrs the Caps, and especially game 6 against the Wings are up there...

The goal Malkin scored against the Caps a couple years ago sticks out in my mind as well. (from the boards, almost parallel to the goal - a ridiculous angle)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins