where would this team be without Fluery

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

where would this team be without Fluery

Postby supermario on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm

This game tonight could have been 10-2. Fluery just makes save after save that lots of goalies just are not capable of. He deserves every bit as much publicity as Crosby. Feel sorry for the kid getting peppered like that every night. D is still horrible.
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kicksave on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 pm

yea but he doesn't make the big save :roll:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

ps

Postby supermario on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 pm

did CP just trade dick tarnstrom for nothing? No Rita and no Cross. When on earth is this guy gonna be let go :?:
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:24 pm

When the team gets sold.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:51 pm

Where would they be without Fleury? Probably last place overall. Oh, wait...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D I get your point, but at the end of the season, all they look at is wins and losses. Goal differential doesn't come into play among non-playoff teams... :cry:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:02 am

I'll tell you what, if Fleury doesn't turn into one of the league's top goalies in a yera or two, I'll be amazed. He is facing twice as many shots as most goalies face each game, plus many of them are scoring chances. Luongo was put into a similar situation in Florida for years and look what he has turned into...a brick wall. Sure, he hasn't turned his team around, but he has certainly done his share. I expect the same out of Fleury.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:20 am

Defence21 wrote:I'll tell you what, if Fleury doesn't turn into one of the league's top goalies in a yera or two, I'll be amazed. He is facing twice as many shots as most goalies face each game, plus many of them are scoring chances. Luongo was put into a similar situation in Florida for years and look what he has turned into...a brick wall. Sure, he hasn't turned his team around, but he has certainly done his share. I expect the same out of Fleury.

And even when he doesn't face that many shots in a game, the few shots are almost always scoring chances. A WHOLE LOT MORE than not he doesn't even have a chance on the goals scored on him, though he's still young and letting in the softies here and there.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ginger on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:26 am

Saves tonight says it all; Emery made 22 saves to Fleury's 41. Ooooooo, where's the light at the end of the tunnel? Where's the end of the tunnel? Heck! Where's the tunnel?

On top of everything else tonight it appears we may have lost Ouelette now too?

:cry:
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BJL on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 am

Don't worry about the Tarnstrom trade... he's already been a healthy scratch for the Oilers too...
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am

Ginger wrote:Saves tonight says it all; Emery made 22 saves to Fleury's 41. Ooooooo, where's the light at the end of the tunnel? Where's the end of the tunnel? Heck! Where's the tunnel?

Well, the upside to all of this is that Malkin looks to be coming over next season. If that's the case, we now have a 2nd line center. Factor him in with Crosby, Fleury and guys like Armstrong, Ouellet and Surovy who have been producing, and the team is heading in the right direction. They certainly are not yet in viewing distance of the playoffs anytime soon, but that could all change quickly if guys have a good training camp and step up their games.

A perfect example is Carolina. Who would have expected them to be this good? Not me. What about the Rangers? Not I again. I guess what I am saying is that a few changes in the right direction could do a lot more than most would expect. On the other hand, a few changes also could keep this team in the cellar.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:56 am

Defence21 wrote:
Ginger wrote:Saves tonight says it all; Emery made 22 saves to Fleury's 41. Ooooooo, where's the light at the end of the tunnel? Where's the end of the tunnel? Heck! Where's the tunnel?

Well, the upside to all of this is that Malkin looks to be coming over next season. If that's the case, we now have a 2nd line center. Factor him in with Crosby, Fleury and guys like Armstrong, Ouellet and Surovy who have been producing, and the team is heading in the right direction. They certainly are not yet in viewing distance of the playoffs anytime soon, but that could all change quickly if guys have a good training camp and step up their games.

A perfect example is Carolina. Who would have expected them to be this good? Not me. What about the Rangers? Not I again. I guess what I am saying is that a few changes in the right direction could do a lot more than most would expect. On the other hand, a few changes also could keep this team in the cellar.

You know, I'm getting tired of saying these kind of things though. We've been saying wait till we get so and so next year! We'll be much better! TIME TO PERFORM, PINGOS!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:15 am

wondermoose wrote:You know, I'm getting tired of saying these kind of things though. We've been saying wait till we get so and so next year! We'll be much better! TIME TO PERFORM, PINGOS!

True, but in the past, who have the Pens had that would no doubt make an impact? Sure, we got a bunch of veterans over the summer, but, in honesty, no one knew what any team was going to be able to accomplish. As far as prospects, who have the Pens been able to tout as the next big star?

The only guys they have that can be considered star-calibre are Fleury and Crosby. Malkin may be. But before Fleury and Crosby, there was little legitimate hope. Guys like Abid, Bradley, etc were illusions and, being Pens fans, we bit. In reality, I think we all knew that these guys would do squat, but there was still hope.

My point is that, you can't make gold out of crap. Finally the Pens have brought up their own prospects -- prospects who have succeeded in WBS. In the past, they were all midround draft picks who the Pens got by trading away their crap.

Armstrong looks to be a solid 3rd or 4th liner at worst, as does Talbot. Ouellet has really played well on special teams. Surovy is streaky, but with consistent linemates and relief from a 2nd scoring line, he could really become a solid contributer. Christensen could do the same. Sure, it's a lot of speculation, but thats all we have.

Lastly, I will say that we can't expect rookies to step in and play like veterans. It won't happen. This team is built almost entirely of rookies or 2nd/3rd year players. That won't breed success early on, but with time, we will see results.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ginger on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:37 am

Defence21 wrote:

I know exactly what you're saying & I have to agree. What's more, look how many years it took the Rangers to do this as we smugly sat back & watched them load the team with talent. Expensive talent! Yet they remained in the basement. Well, trade some of that for other players more suited to the system & get yourself a new communicating coach & eureka! A team that is running on all cylinders. Either they had this in their plans all along (I doubt it) or they made the right moves at the right time, either way they are playoff bound now.

I don't think the Pens have to wait as long as the Rangers. As you pointed out, we have the fundamentals already, add Malkin & wait for that to mesh & I think the hockey world will be looking at us the same way.

~*Can you hear the lilt of optimism in my voice?*~ :lol:
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:54 am

What Malkin will provide is a true double-threat. Right now, this team is so stinking easy to defend because all they have to do is shut down Sid. There is no way I would ever play Malkin and Crosby together except on the powerplay. They will be a 1 -2 punch to rival the greats. The up-curve starts next season for sure.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:48 am

Pitts wrote:What Malkin will provide is a true double-threat. Right now, this team is so stinking easy to defend because all they have to do is shut down Sid. There is no way I would ever play Malkin and Crosby together except on the powerplay. They will be a 1 -2 punch to rival the greats. The up-curve starts next season for sure.

Indeed. They must get Malkin here even if they have to barter with CP's life.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: ps

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:57 pm

supermario wrote:did CP just trade dick tarnstrom for nothing? No Rita and no Cross. When on earth is this guy gonna be let go :?:

When you are trading a nothing player, you really can't expect much back.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Pitts wrote:What Malkin will provide is a true double-threat. Right now, this team is so stinking easy to defend because all they have to do is shut down Sid. There is no way I would ever play Malkin and Crosby together except on the powerplay. They will be a 1 -2 punch to rival the greats. The up-curve starts next season for sure.

I dunno, if Crosby doesn't improve his faceoffs, he might have to be moved to wing. He has moved up 10% in the last month, or so (from 33%(?) to 43%), so there is some hope.

Even still, I can see Malkin being the number one center on the team, not Crosby.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:05 pm

Daniel wrote:I dunno, if Crosby doesn't improve his faceoffs, he might have to be moved to wing. He has moved up 10% in the last month, or so (from 33%(?) to 43%), so there is some hope.

Even still, I can see Malkin being the number one center on the team, not Crosby.

I am not the least bit worried about Sid's faceoff prowess. He's an 18-year-old going against guys that have been doing it for 15 years. He's talented enough that he'll be fine. People forget that Mario was very poor on faceoffs at 18 and I don't think that held him back much :D . Just keep throwing him out there and he'll figure it out. This is actually a team problem too. There is generally no team effort to win a draw, in terms of winning battles for loose pucks.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Daniel wrote:I dunno, if Crosby doesn't improve his faceoffs, he might have to be moved to wing. He has moved up 10% in the last month, or so (from 33%(?) to 43%), so there is some hope.

I am not the least bit worried about Sid's faceoff prowess. He's an 18-year-old going against guys that have been doing it for 15 years. He's talented enough that he'll be fine. People forget that Mario was very poor on faceoffs at 18 and I don't think that held him back much :D . Just keep throwing him out there and he'll figure it out. This is actually a team problem too. There is generally no team effort to win a draw, in terms of winning battles for loose pucks.

Oh, I have no doubt that he will improve, just stating the obvious. 8)
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:28 pm

They would be in the same place as they are now. Last.

Goal differential on a team this bad is irrelevant at this point.

Lets get a better team and see how many key saves he makes when we are up 4-3 late in the third. Then we will know just good he is.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins