When Was Goalie Interference Removed from the Rulebook?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

When Was Goalie Interference Removed from the Rulebook?

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:44 am

Last Thursday, Caron was clearly interfered with by Chara on a goal. Last night, Fleury was clearly interfered with on an Ottawa goal, being pushed all the way into the net. I take it the league deleted this from the rules, but forgot to notify the Penguins. Well, now that they know, they need to run goalies every chance they get. Just play by the rules, that's all.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 am

"The guy was right on me. He pushed me and I was stuck in the back of the net. The ref said `I'll protect you' all game, then this happens and he says nothing. It's kind of frustrating."

- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury on all the trafic in front of the net
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:10 am

ville5 wrote:"The guy was right on me. He pushed me and I was stuck in the back of the net. The ref said `I'll protect you' all game, then this happens and he says nothing. It's kind of frustrating."

- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury on all the trafic in front of the net

Yeah, you compare these two non-calls to the one where they called Crosby earlier this year and you realize that the Pens are simply hated and/or disrespected by the refs. It is just ridiculous.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:45 am

Agreed. Neil clearly ran through the goal crease, being sure to impede Fleury at the same time. Clerr cut case of interference if ever there was one. I came to the conclusion weeks ago that the Pens have become the doormat of the NHL and will get no respect at all. I was suprised they gave Crosby the call on that high stick last night. Hard to compete, as the Seahawks say, when you have to play against the refs too.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:56 am

Pitts wrote:Hard to compete, as the Seahawks say, when you have to play against the refs too.

By no means am I blaming the refs for them losing. it has nothing to do with it. They lost both games fair and square, and are simply not a competitive team. Two goals out of the twelve that Ottawa scored would make no difference at all. But that does not give the refs the right to disrespect them. The refs are supposed to call the rules, and in those two cases, they failed to do their jobs.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 am

It's every game though Mike. The lopsided calls go on and on. And, Crosby was clearly being taught a lesson the past 2 months or so. THAT is not fair.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Sad, But True

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 am

Pitts wrote:It's every game though Mike. The lopsided calls go on and on. And, Crosby was clearly being taught a lesson the past 2 months or so. THAT is not fair.

I hate to bring down the wrath of the board upon me, but I have to say he brought it on himself. If you're a rookie in any league, you just don't start yapping at the refs. They will not put up with it. I'm not saying this is right, but it is reality. But he does seem to have learned, as I have seen virtually nothing out of him the last month or so. If he keeps it up for long, the calls will start going his way again.

And I won't even say it's every game. They clearly had the advantage of the calls against the Isles Saturday, and they still lost.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Both

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:15 am

ziggystardust wrote:
is it that, or does the officiating just stink?

It does stink, and has slowly reverted to form. But I do think there is a lack of respect for young, bad team like the Pens, especially when they miss things as blatant as this.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:15 am

Pitts wrote:Agreed. Neil clearly ran through the goal crease, being sure to impede Fleury at the same time. Clerr cut case of interference if ever there was one. I came to the conclusion weeks ago that the Pens have become the doormat of the NHL and will get no respect at all. I was suprised they gave Crosby the call on that high stick last night. Hard to compete, as the Seahawks say, when you have to play against the refs too.

One big difference, did they ignore penalties committed by the Steelers? No, the refs simply called a very tight game against the Seahawks on things that could have been let go and have been let go in past games. I didn't see a single non-call in favor of the Steelers. In the Pens case they aren't calling clear cut penalties like goaltender interference.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Well, as they say

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:19 am

DelPen wrote:
One big difference, did they ignore penalties committed by the Steelers? No, the refs simply called a very tight game against the Seahawks on things that could have been let go and have been let go in past games. I didn't see a single non-call in favor of the Steelers. In the Pens case they aren't calling clear cut penalties like goaltender interference.

You can call holding on every play. Why they only chose to call ones on Seattle, I have no idea. One was so blatant they had to call it. Not sure about the other one, as they never showed a good replay of it. But to say the Steelers never held is probably incorrect. They just never got called. That would upset me if it happened in reverse.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins