Will Crosby have the same success as Roethlisberger?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Will Crosby have the same success as Roethlisberger?

Postby Mountaineer on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:07 am

When Sid's 24, will he be hoisting the Stanley Cup? The situations are completely different, with Roethlisberger having been drafted by an already decent team, while Sid was drafted by arugably the worst team in the league. Still, five years from now, if things are run correctly, the Pens should be contenders. Question is, will CP still be at the helm, and even more importanly, will they be the Pittsburgh Penguins?
Mountaineer

Re: Will Crosby have the same success as Roethlisberger?

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:28 am

Mountaineer wrote:while Sid was drafted by arugably the worst team in the league.

Arguably??? Hardly. I'm sure they have by far the worst record of any team since 2001.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:35 am

Why the hell do you keep comparing the Penguins to the Steelers. They are TWO different organizations in TWO different leagues that have TWO completly DIFFERENT situations. The only similarity is that they both call their home Pittsburgh.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:42 am

It's hard to say if Sid will be able to win by then or not... sure, the Pens can turn things around in a couple years or so if they draft and sign the correct players... a MAJOR if at this point. At least by finishing low they have had the fortune of having Fleury, Malkin and Crosby fall into their laps. This year they will likely get Johnson or Kessel depending on how the balls bounce... I can't see them finishing better than 2nd, so maybe Frolik or Toews or whoever else ends up there by June.

The pieces will start to come together, but it could take a few GOOD FA signings to get them on the road to respectability... Six years from now... sure, I could see it. 6 years from now Fluery, Crosby and malkin may well be 3 of the most dominant players in the league... but obviously it takes much more to win the championship. This is where the holes will need to be filled... hopefully by someone not named CP.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby randy on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Dont forget, The penguins play in a highly competitive division and conference. Their owner hasnt manipulated things so that in any given year 75% of the other teams in their division are either incompetent, or mismanaged year in and year out, and thats just the way they want it. Cleveland? please. Cincy? 1st playoffs in 15 years, Baltimore? better suited for a prison league. They are pretty much guaranteed like 6 wins a year because of it. The pens and pirates should be so lucky.
randy

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:49 pm

"Their owner hasnt manipulated things so that in any given year 75% of the other teams in their division are either incompetent, or mismanaged year in and year out, and thats just the way they want it."

Tell me, how exactly did Rooney manipulate to KEEP the Bengals, Browns and Ravens in the same division? Emphasis on the word KEEP. It isn't like the divisions were changed that much. How many teams changed, other than the 4th divisions in each league, 2? Perhaps you don't understand this fact.

In the NFC East, they lost Arizona, who went to the west.
In the NFC West, they lost Carolina, Atlanta and New Orleans, who went to the new South division.
In the NFC Central, they lost Tampa Bay, who also went to the South division.

One team moved to a non new division, Arizona.

In the AFC East, they lost Indianopolis to the new South Division.
In the AFC West, they lost Seattle to the NFC West.
In the AFC Central, they lost Tennessee and Jacksonville to the new South division.

Again, one team moved to a non new division, Seattle.

So, I just used fact to counter your Steeler bashing, please explain how the Rooney's manipulated this process?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Wow...

Postby DrBoni on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:08 pm

Not even a close comparison. Crosby, assuming he continues to play to form, will finish his career as a legend in his game. Quite possibly in the Top 10 scoring. He (along with the likes of Ovech) will revolutionize this next era of hockey the same way Gretzky and Lemieux did.

Roth may be good, but he's far from the likes of Montana and Young.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Wow...

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:12 pm

DrBoni wrote:Not even a close comparison. Crosby, assuming he continues to play to form, will finish his career as a legend in his game. Quite possibly in the Top 10 scoring. He (along with the likes of Ovech) will revolutionize this next era of hockey the same way Gretzky and Lemieux did.

Roth may be good, but he's far from the likes of Montana and Young.

Why are you always so down on Roth? He can make any throw and is athletic enough to move around and create plays. I think he very well could be as good as Montana or Young.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:46 pm

I gree. I think Rothlisberger is headed for great things. It appears Dr.B's just got a hang-up with the Steelers! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yes..

Postby DrBoni on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:48 pm

I do have a major hangup with the Steelers, admittedly. My gripe is more of a league wide thing that happens to be enhanced by the fact that the Steelers are the team that I always hear about.

But I can watch a game objectively. I know when to call a spade a spade and a good play doesn't go by unnoticed. Ben's good, I won't take that away from him. Bad quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls. Just ask Neil O'Donnel. But you have to admit that as good as he is, he's far from the brilliance of an all-time great, even with him only being a second year.

Even if you don't agree with that; going back to the point of this thread, Crosby's talents and vision at the age of 18 are remarkable. I watched Ben grow up through college and they're not even close. It's not fair to compare the two sports, but let's be real. Sid's one of those once in a lifetime players (Though the talk about Malkin is surreal), to me there's no comparison.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Yes..

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:46 pm

"he's far from the brilliance of an all-time great, even with him only being a second year."

Right now, I would say he has the skill and potential to be an all-time great. Whether he becomes an all time great remains to be seen, just like with Crosby.

"It's not fair to compare the two sports, but let's be real. Sid's one of those once in a lifetime players"

Sid is a once in a lifetime player and I think there are plenty of QBs that are better than Ben, but I think Ben is an amazing QB in only his second year. Compare the two. Both have unbelievable athletic abilities. Both have tremendous poise and leadership qualities. Both can take over a game and put the team on there backs. Both can make brilliant plays out of nothing at all. However, when you look at Crosby, he can do something without depending on someone else. Look at the 3rd and 23 play where Ben hit Ward at the 3 yard line. No matter how great a play Ben makes, he still has to depend on Ward to make an equally great play to be productive. Crosby can take the puck from an opposing player and do things on his own to score.

I think when it is all said and done, both will be Hall of Fame players. Whether Crosby is up there with Lemieux or Gretzky and Ben is up there with Unitas and Brett Favre remains to be seen. I think it will be fun ride to watch both. :D

One thing to add. I hope that the Pens can stay in Pittsburgh. I think the city having the ability to watch Ben/Polamalu and Crosby/Malkin for the next 10-20 years has to create city excitement.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:49 pm

Pitts wrote:I gree. I think Rothlisberger is headed for great things. It appears Dr.B's just got a hang-up with the Steelers! :D

I think the difference between Ben and Crosby is that Ben is completely dependant on his teammates, whereas Crosby can do something alone. In my reply to Dr. B, I used the 3rd and 23 play that Ben made to get the ball to Ward. If Ward doesn't make an equally great play, it becomes and incomplete or INT. Therefore, no matter how great Ben does, he couldn't do it alone.

Crosby can do a lot of things by himself and score a goal with his teammates not being as involved as in football.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins