Steelers fans chanting "Mario" in front of Rendell

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Steelers fans chanting "Mario" in front of Rendell

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:01 pm

Steelers fans yelling Mario with Rendell talking to KDKA... GREAT JOB!

we want an arena
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Steelers fans chanting "Mario" in front of Ren

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:02 pm

Bowser wrote:Steelers fans yelling Mario with Rendell talking to KDKA... GREAT JOB!

we want an arena

That is so great. Now, for a Let's Go Pens chant...
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby randy on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Thats excellent news. fast Ed is proabaly Sh*tt*ing his pants right now.

Maybe someone will bounce a pens puck off his huge grill
randy

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 pm

AWESOME!

not quite as good as razing the arena, but it's a start. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:08 pm

randy wrote:Thats excellent news. fast Ed is proabaly Sh*tt*ing his pants right now.

Maybe someone will bounce a pens puck off his huge grill

hahahahha
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Bowser wrote:Steelers fans yelling Mario with Rendell talking to KDKA... GREAT JOB!

we want an arena
Hopefully they'll chant it if he speaks at the point too.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:58 pm

i get the feeling that there is more support for this than we know
Peter

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:07 pm

Stealing another man's thread. D@mn newbies. :x
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Missed opportunity

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:43 pm

Too bad nobody waved a $5 bill in front of Fast Eddie's face -- they probably could have gotten him to perform dog tricks.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:46 pm

But wait, I thought all Steelers fans hated the Penguins!

Oh, I guess not. I guess a lot of them support their city and not just one team. Silly me.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Madden Hotheads

Postby imau2fan on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:07 pm

I think a lot of us get a distorted view from listening to MM. Those nitwits who call in probably don't care about the Pens one way or the other.......they're just looking for an excuse to antagonize MM. Of course, Mark doesn't help matters by trying to rile the listeners up in the first place.

I grew up with yinzers like that. They have no life, and consider verbal one-ups-manship a hobby.
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby td_ice on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:22 pm

we want an arena

I loved it!

NEW-A-RE-NA!!

NEW-A-RE-NA!!

Was the next chant started.

I was hoping the interviewers would acknowledge the chants and throw a question the Gov.'s way, but I realize that was not going to happen. And understandbly, I guess. It was the Steelers day.

But it would have been nice.

The chants were great.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rocco on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Wait, I thought Steelers fans hated the Pens and didn't care about their existence?

BTW, it's disrespectful to chant "Here we go Steelers" at Pens games, but it's great to chant pro-Pens things at a championship rally for the Steelers???
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby td_ice on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:52 pm

Rocco wrote:Wait, I thought Steelers fans hated the Pens and didn't care about their existence?

BTW, it's disrespectful to chant "Here we go Steelers" at Pens games, but it's great to chant pro-Pens things at a championship rally for the Steelers???

The Chants were directly aimed at Rendell. Nobody else. And would have never came about otherwise.

There were no Steelers around. It was not at the podium. It was Rendell and the interviewers.

An apt comparison would be if the chant of LGP was at a Steeler game.

Not an off to the side interview with Rendell.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Sweet...

Postby DrBoni on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:55 pm

I'll be the first to admit that this is awesome. Way to go Steeler fans! This does a lot to reassure my faith in the city.

BTW, there is a difference between the chanting at a rally and at a competitive event. But I digress, that topic doesn't get us anywhere and we know where everybody stands on it. It's clear that neither side is actually right, and we're not going to change each other's minds. I'm on the unity bandwagon for the rest of this year.

Don't get me wrong, I still hate the Steelers though :)
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:07 pm

That's your right Boni. I hate the Pirates for how they have managed to destroy a proud franchise and my memories.

I also think there are more people that don't want to lose the Penguins than Mr. Rendell wants to admit. Steelers winning, Swann running and threat of losing a major sports franchise in the state may be too much for him to continue his current posturing on the Arena problem.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

what nobody dumped beer on their heads?

Postby rasbatch on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:28 pm

all those who said the steelers winning the super bowl would push the pens situation out of the spotlight should raise their hands. This is just what the Dr. ordered.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Judy on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:39 pm

Rocco wrote:Wait, I thought Steelers fans hated the Pens and didn't care about their existence?

Don't even get me started on this. I don't care if the Steeler fans chant for them during a Pens game, especially when prompted, but I have a problem with these fans cheering for them ONLY when the Pens start playing poorly. If they don't want to watch the rest of the game when they start playing poorly, then they should do what so many other people do that I can't understand for the life of me why. Leave the game right then and there.

It's that simple.
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

they supported the pens by paying

Postby rasbatch on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:55 pm

for their ticket judy they can really do as they please within the bounds of proper conduct. Your faulting the wrong people here. Those who are at the arena are doing for the pens exactly what they need, giving them money.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: they supported the pens by paying

Postby Judy on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:59 pm

rasbatch wrote:for their ticket judy they can really do as they please within the bounds of proper conduct. Your faulting the wrong people here. Those who are at the arena are doing for the pens exactly what they need, giving them money.

No comment. I'm dropping this subject all togther at the wonderful advise of Boni.
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:02 pm

Judy makes a good point. It's the timing of it, chanting when the Pens go down by a few goals, etc. I think it's great to cheer the Steelers when they're on the score board or whatever. Sure the ticket buyers are important, and people can choose to do what they want at the games. The booing and Steeler chants when the Pens have been given up on create an atmosphere at the arena that's not appreciated by a good number of fans though. This has been beaten to death in other threads though...
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Their isn't much time when they haven't been 2 or more goals

Postby rasbatch on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:08 pm

down :shock: I think people are reading way to much into pittsburghers being fired up about the steelers. Can you honestly look into each and every chanters heart and say their doing this to disrespect the penguins? I mean come on.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby careyz8 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:34 pm

this goes just to show you that there are people in and around this city other than the 17,000+ fans that attend the game and the people posting on this board that care about the pens. many people thought that this was just a steeler city and today at the rally, the mario chant was very loud, obviously not comparing to the steeler chants. i think that there isnt a large number of people who wants to see this team go in this city. hopefully rendell and the other politicians wont ignore the mario chant and do something about it. in rendells case rather than doing everything possible for philthy and sitting on his thumb for pittsburgh.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Goalie on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:23 pm

Thanks for calling this out because it proves that no matter what the sport is the fans involved will probably be fans of the other teams in the city as well and there is nothing wrong with bringing attention to another team in the city when they are successful or when there is an important issue such as the new arena.

Anyone who criticized the chants at Penguin games but celebrated these is being a hypocrite.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins