Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Magnitogorsk press release: Malkin agreed to stay

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

i told ya

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:13 am

i told you guys yesterday that this is Russian mafia s...
Hey maybe will now Mario play again : ) 2nd line center :)
But his about Malkin not coming is pretty big blow for Playoff hopes this year... Trade for center? Maybe,but if we trade for Gomez,i dont think he would sign 1-year contract.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tonysoprano on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:15 am

tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:20 am

NJ5934 wrote:
Bowser wrote:KG - If Shero's backup plan was Perreault, that's scary. I have zero interest in him, hopefully Ray-Ray feels the same way. Hopefully Pens can go hunt Moose on a harley and bag a quality player like Scott Gomez.

I think that Christensen will get his shot at the second line. If not, Malone will fill it. No need to go get someone like Perreault.

I think Malone may end up as the number 2 center also, and I think that Pivko's chances of making the team just went up way more than Chrstensen's.

I take no solace in being one of the earliest to point out that Malkin was showing signs of not coming. When he fired Meehan, there were actually folks on here saying it didn't matter. It did.

While I understand that Malkin is a human being with family in Russia and pride in his heritage, this just stinks. I also strongly disagree with all of the folks saying that we were not a playoff team anyway. We could have been a playoff team with him.

This is a kid that is reported to be dominant, and we all saw it first hand in the Olympics. At the end of last year, Crosby's line was dominant many nights, and always competitive. If Malkin is what he appears to be, then the Pens would be throwing out ANOTHER line that can play with anyone in the league, on the strength of its' center.

When you have about 60% of the icetime with either Crosby or Malkin on the ice, I would like our chances against all but the most elite teams in this league.

I understand why folks, especially Penguin fans after all the crap we endure, want to try and rationalize this as - "we weren't a plyoff team anyway". The fact is, this is a HUGE blow to the team, the franchise and potentially even the future in Pittsburgh. If the latter is a stretch, I am still certain that as a season ticket holder, I am going to see a lot fewer wins this year without him.

I also believe that he is a player that will NEVER embrace the US, and that he will always be a contract problem at every negotiation. The threat of returning to Russia will always be present, moreso than for some of the Russians playing here who are not the draw at home, and who have made more effort to assimilate themselves into the culture here.

Before folks bash me for the above, I'm not saying to trade him or that I think he is evil, only that I see that as the reality of this one guy's persona and personal situation in his homeland.

I think the whole "I want to go to the NHL" thing was what he said he wanted because he thought it was what he should say. I don't think that, deep in his heart, he ever really meant it.

Personalities are funny things, and while Ovechkin fits the image of the young Russian who loves the lifestyle in America and all it offers, Malkin seems to be a more reserved guy on the surface. He may be a momma's boy, he may be into comfort and fear change - there are many of these kinds of folks at your job or your local Grocery store, they just don't happen to be one of the greatest Hockey players in the world.

I called him spineless the other day, and in hindsight I meant that only in the sense that he was not doing what he said he wanted. Today, I lean more to the side that he is NOW doing what he wanted all along, at least for one more year. Momma must be a damn good cook.

I'm very bummed as a ticket buying fan, because I really believe he could have helped push us into some kind of playoff contention.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 am

Sorry, Snapper...I see a player who wanted to come to the NHL but was locked in by a contract in Russia. So, all the powers that be in Russia came together and said to him, "Give us one more season and we will let you go. We'll even draw up a new contract in that regard." I think also, the Russians are now hoping to have the transfer agreement in place by then.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:39 am

Pitts wrote:Sorry, Snapper...I see a player who wanted to come to the NHL but was locked in by a contract in Russia. So, all the powers that be in Russia came together and said to him, "Give us one more season and we will let you go. We'll even draw up a new contract in that regard." I think also, the Russians are now hoping to have the transfer agreement in place by then.

I see that as part of the pressure to stay, but he still had the opportunity to walk away. He fired the loudest voice from the opposing viewpoint, and that tells me he didn't really want to go yet. His indecisiveness is a big concern as I said above. In the long term, I do not see him being in the NHL for 15 years. He is one guy who could command a large salary in Russia later in his career again - and I just don't see him ever assimilating here the way Ovechkin has.

Yes, Ovechkin loves his homeland, but he speaks English, is outgoing and seems to love the lifestyle. Malkin, I guess we won't know 'til he gets here, but he still doesn't speak any English and was supposedly on a plane to here as late a yesterday.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:45 am

I thinks it's very unfortunate that this 20 year old kid has become a pawn in an international game of chicken.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:46 am

Pitts wrote:Sorry, Snapper...I see a player who wanted to come to the NHL but was locked in by a contract in Russia. So, all the powers that be in Russia came together and said to him, "Give us one more season and we will let you go. We'll even draw up a new contract in that regard." I think also, the Russians are now hoping to have the transfer agreement in place by then.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if Malkin has only a one year deal, the Russians dont get anything for him if he walks at the end of next season. Doesn't the transfer agreement apply only to players under contract?
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:49 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if Malkin has only a one year deal, the Russians dont get anything for him if he walks at the end of next season. Doesn't the transfer agreement apply only to players under contract?

No, it should apply to any Russian born player who played hockey for any Russian team lin the last season played.

Let me add: I think! :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:52 am

Pitts wrote:I thinks it's very unfortunate that this 20 year old kid has become a pawn in an international game of chicken.

While I agree to an extent, he has let himself become a pawn. Again, he has an avenue to act in his own interests, and I DO believe that Ovechkin would have taken it in the same circumstance.

As I said, I have evolved from thinking he doesn't take it because he is spineless, to thinking that he just doesn't want it badly enough. Right now, that ping-pong ball from Washington is really p*ssing me off.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tomas on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:55 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:

Well, everything depends on the contract that will have to be signed next summer (the current IIHF/NHL agreement expires after the upcoming season). However, all the past IIHF/NHL agreements commanded NHL to pay for each European player, regardless whether he was under the contract. Russians were/are just simply willing to forego compensation for players without any contract in favor of much steeper compensation for contracted players.

Of course, if Russia signs a new contract, and if the agreement works like the previous ones, Magnitogorsk gets the best of both worlds - one extra year of Malkin's services, plus a transfer fee (very likely increased compared to the present $200,000).
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:55 am

The Snapshot wrote:Right now, that ping-pong ball from Washington is really p*ssing me off.

Ain't that the truth! We could be starting the season (even last season!) With Crosby and Ovechkin on the top line!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:02 am

Pitts wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Right now, that ping-pong ball from Washington is really p*ssing me off.

Ain't that the truth! We could be starting the season (even last season!) With Crosby and Ovechkin on the top line!

Right, because we still would have won the Crosby lottery by picking #1 in 2004 :roll:

You do realize that the 2005 drfat was weighted by finishes and if you were originally slotted to pick #1 (like the Caps were) it decreased your chances a lot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:03 am

netwolf wrote:I had no idea that there were so many posters here that were gifted with the ability to read minds. A RSL team issues a press release about Malkin rejoining the team and suddenly everyone knows how things got to that point?

This team is undoubtedly better with Malkin than without, but let's not kid ourselves. They were not going to be in the playoffs without a TON of breaks. His absence doesn't change that.

Excuse me if I hold off condemning this kid until I know what went on. And since I don't have the gift of sight that others here have, that may never happen.

A lot of people who were so damn 100% sure that Malkin would be here this year also were predicting playoffs too. I would agree with you that with or without Malkin, making the playoffs would be a huge suprise.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:08 am

brwi wrote:
netwolf wrote:I had no idea that there were so many posters here that were gifted with the ability to read minds. A RSL team issues a press release about Malkin rejoining the team and suddenly everyone knows how things got to that point?

This team is undoubtedly better with Malkin than without, but let's not kid ourselves. They were not going to be in the playoffs without a TON of breaks. His absence doesn't change that.

Excuse me if I hold off condemning this kid until I know what went on. And since I don't have the gift of sight that others here have, that may never happen.

A lot of people who were so damn 100% sure that Malkin would be here this year also were predicting playoffs too. I would agree with you that with or without Malkin, making the playoffs would be a huge suprise.

Brad

With Malkin: 75 points for probably still 13th in the East since we were 12 back from the next worse team. The leafs and Thrahsers missed the playoffs with 90 points each and there was no way we'd hit 90 even with Malkin.

Without Malkin, probably 14th or 15th. The 2nd line looks horrible without him, maybe we'd hit 68 points? We might still finish ahead of the Caps, BJ's, Hawks and Isles but who knows?

I just hope Crosby puts on a show and wins the Art Ross this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:10 am

brwi wrote:

Brad

Making the Playoffs would have taken a great year, but it should have been the target. Now, the target "today" should be to play around .500 hockey. That is, until Shero makes some great trade for a top center!!
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:18 am

I'll admit I was wrong. I never saw it playing out this way. Actually, nobody did. I guess this isn't exactly the worst case scenario since he's free to go after the season, but it's too bad whatever powers in Russia flexed their muscle and made this happen. Less than a week ago, Malkin had given his notice and was ready to go to America. Now he isn't? It's a corrupt situation, and the Pens have to pay for it, this year.

I thought with Malkin, the Pens absolutely had a great shot at the playoffs. Now, not so good, but they're not going to be a lottery team either. Depending on how things go, they could still shoot up to the eighth seed. Last year's team underachieved. I think realistically they were closer to a 70-75 point team than a 55-60 point team. They started to show that in the last quarter of the season. Shero still did make some nice additions this summer, and the young core should continue to improve. I'm not writing this season off. At this point, this opens up the door for Pivko or Christensen to play a larger role. Assuming, of course, that Shero doesn't make some sort of trade or signing beforehand.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saveourpens on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:21 am

Un **** believable!!! :evil: Our chances of making the playoffs just decreased about 60%. The worst day of the offseason.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

ESPN's article has a interesting tidbit

Postby estreetfan on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2542025

Malkin, who has never played for Pittsburgh, had stated his desire to join the NHL this year, saying he wanted to prove himself at a higher level.

His agent said that the Russian, who turned 20 last week, had even signed an entry-level contract with the Penguins.

This situtation might be headed to the courts after all :roll:
estreetfan

Postby tonysoprano on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 am

saveourpens wrote:Un **** believable!!! :evil: Our chances of making the playoffs just decreased about 60%. The worst day of the offseason.

Our chances of making the playoffs were slim and none with or without him.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saveourpens on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:37 am

tonysoprano wrote:
saveourpens wrote:Un **** believable!!! :evil: Our chances of making the playoffs just decreased about 60%. The worst day of the offseason.

Our chances of making the playoffs were slim and none with or without him.

Considering the modest stretch at the end and teams like Buffalo, Carolina, and the N.Y Rangers coming out of nowhere, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off.

Malkin is no Jagr but the Rangers would not even sniff the playoffs without him. The Sharks would never have had that remarkable mid-season turn around without the Thornton deal. That shows the impact one terrific talent can have.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: ESPN's article has a interesting tidbit

Postby Shaneoshea on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:42 am

estreetfan wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2542025

Malkin, who has never played for Pittsburgh, had stated his desire to join the NHL this year, saying he wanted to prove himself at a higher level.

His agent said that the Russian, who turned 20 last week, had even signed an entry-level contract with the Penguins.

I read that too. Does that mean the rumours were true a month or so ago that he signed?
Shaneoshea
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bigkam on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:42 am

MM gets nothing after next season, because he will become a FA. NHL teams only owe money to RSL teams when said player still has time left on an existing contract. So one bright spot is that the Pens won't have to change a quarter to get him here come next season.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:43 am

Shaneoshea wrote:

I read that too. Does that mean the rumours were true a month or so ago that he signed?

He didn't sign any contract with the Pens. If so, the Pen's organization would be making some sort of stink about all this.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby estreetfan on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:44 am

Shaneoshea wrote:

The ESPN article seem to imply his russian agent stated this
estreetfan

Postby Tomas on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:46 am

bigkam wrote:MM gets nothing after next season, because he will become a FA. NHL teams only owe money to RSL teams when said player still has time left on an existing contract. So one bright spot is that the Pens won't have to change a quarter to get him here come next season.

You are mistaken. NHL pays for every player - even those that are without contract. The money actually goes to IIHF first, and it is considered more of a "player development" compensation. If NHL paid only for players under a contract, no European country would have an incentive to sign an IIHF/NHL agreement.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins